I Don't "Digg It"

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Using last ounce of hydrazine and prehensile maneuvering rocket to dodge stinky kinetic impactor.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 pm

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know a Digg It existed. Still not on my APOD. Lucky?
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:17 pm

apodman wrote:Using last ounce of hydrazine and prehensile maneuvering rocket to dodge stinky kinetic impactor.
d'oh! the pentagon shot down my stinky fling! they didn't even hit the satellite..... =/

Wicked
Asternaut

Post by Wicked » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:37 am

Hm... there's no such thing as "security" if you're using internet explorer...

Use a safer alternative browser like Firefox or Opera if your security is important to you.

But I'm not just gonna be off-topic here... I too see no reason for the digg button to be on APOD and although I learned to ignore it, it did bother me at first.

Steerpike
Asternaut

Post by Steerpike » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 pm

You want it gone? Just add the line:
127.0.0.1 digg.com
to your WINDOWS\HOSTS file (or ETC/HOSTS file if using Linux).
You'll see no trace of the digg things anymore.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Steerpike wrote:You want it gone? Just add the line:
127.0.0.1 digg.com
Where do you mean? Is this in a batch file windows loads at startup?
Can you post the exact location within the Windows folder (if referring to one)? Or is this within the RegEdit...

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am

Even with a slick fix, the cybersensitive would still know the digg link script had been delivered to their computer in the page's html source code, harmless and invisible yet bothersome in a Princess & Pea sort of way. Sort of like sweeping dirt under the rug and still knowing it's there. For me, the link has already been rendered invisible by my inner Vulcan eyelid, so I need do no cyberhousekeeping.

wetr
Asternaut

Post by wetr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:38 am

Wouldn't mind this single button at all, as long as it doesn't bring its relatives like StumbleUpon, Propeller and the likes. There's loads of these "services", and their number is growing day by day - for whatever reason...

wetr
Asternaut

Post by wetr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 am

Arramon wrote:
Steerpike wrote:You want it gone? Just add the line:
127.0.0.1 digg.com
Where do you mean? Is this in a batch file windows loads at startup?
Can you post the exact location within the Windows folder (if referring to one)? Or is this within the RegEdit...
  • "hosts" is is a file.
  • You'll find it in a folder below your C:\Windows directory named C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc (Type "%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc" into your explorer address bar - without the quotes).
  • You can edit it with Notepad or any other text editor (do not use Word or other word processors, as they will insert undecipherable characters into the file).
  • All changes come into effect immediately after you saved them.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 pm

derr... i can't edit it. I'm not admin. =b

hah... stupid work computer.

alexpirie
Asternaut

Post by alexpirie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:46 pm

thnx steerpike and arramon -

don't digg it, don't like it, too much clutter and cute talk - save it for Wonkette. cyberbabbleclutter begone.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Wicked wrote:Hm... there's no such thing as "security" if you're using internet explorer...
Spoken like a true Microsoft hater and person who enjoys paddling upstream (and hiding behind a handle instead of stepping up to the forum like a man). Frankly, the only truth in this is that IE gives the most/best functionality, and more importantly is installed on far more platforms than any other, and so it has been attacked far harder than those other "also rans".

Rather than hate it and avoid it for no good reason, might as well learn to use it adeptly.

You will be assimilated.

-Noel

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Last time I looked at browser market stats: IE had pretty much wiped out all its old competition, the once mighty Netscape Navigator had fallen nearly to zero market share, and Mozilla Firefox was the new alternative gaining market share very fast.

While my very cursory survey reveals that IE still has the greater functionality, Firefox works on a lot of platforms too and does a few things quicker and nicer. If a script on a web page is not completing for whatever reason, Firefox tells me while IE leaves me hanging. I'm also impressed that the download to install Firefox was a relatively small file compared to the functionality it provides or compared to an IE download. Still, I use IE for familiarity and Firefox only for sites and pages where IE won't do the job. My old PC chokes on some flash video ads in IE whereas Firefox handles them better - I wish they would go away entirely. Done wandering now.