Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Weather!

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Last edited by neufer on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:48 pm

It looks as though Europe is getting our weather from this past February. :shock:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:33 am

Céline Richard wrote:... About climate change, Neufer speaks about jetstream, i am sorry but what is it?
A Courant-jet.

Rob

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Thank you a lot, Rob :)
Have a very good day,
Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:15 pm

owlice wrote:It looks as though Europe is getting our weather from this past February. :shock:
Hi Owlice, I don't know which weather you had this past February, but i have seen in the Internet it was supposed to rain a lot today, at the North of Europe, included in my city, while it is snowing a lot!! Roads are white, which is very rare, because with cars, usually, the snow vanishes.
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi, Céline! Pictures of what February looked like are here.

I hope the precipitation changes over for you.

Here, it is bright -- sunny and cloudless -- but cold, just 32°F (0°C) right now.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi Owlice, this is incredible!!

Where have you taken those pictures? At the top of the North Pole or in Washington DC? There is so many centimeters of snow on the garden seat, and on the car :shock:
There is never so much snow in my garden... Fortunately, because i think it was pretty difficult to use the car, under and among so much snow.

I know in Pologne, it snowed much more than in France, it even has become a drama. Indeed, 18 people have died, because of the snow, mostly people who used to live in the streets.
Actually, on last Thusday, the lowest temperature in all Europe, since the beginning of winter, happened in Pologne, where it was -33 Celsius Degree (horrible!!), so : (-33 CELSIUS*(9/5)+32)= less 27,40 FARENHEIT Degrees... It has been told on Euronews, which is a serious news chanel.

Have a very good day!
Céline

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Céline, the DC area had three big snowstorms last winter, a lot for this area. One was in December -- we had a white Christmas. The others were back-to-back in February and have been referred to as Snowmaggedon (snow + armageddon).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... rd_of_2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nort ... rd_of_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Nor ... rd_of_2010

We were spared the fourth major snowstorm, which hit Philadelphia and other points north very hard.

A time-lapse that someone in the DC area made during one of the storms:

I know the snows and cold in Europe have been very dangerous, and I hope the weather eases up soon.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:45 pm

This is a great movie!
I have seen it, thank you Owlice!
I know some people can make movies like that, making the time quicker, but for art : you can see the passing of clouds, very quick; or flowers which open and close each day (you might have seen the movie "Microcosmos", a wonderful one?); or waves from underneath the sea...
But it is the first time i see one with snow!!!
Have a very good day :D
Céline

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 pm

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/will-la-nina-bring-more-snow-to-north-america-europe/19742439 wrote:
Will La Nina Bring More Snow to US, Europe?
Paul Yeager Contributor: AOL News
(Dec. 3) -- December may have barely begun, but the harsh realities of winter have already set in for large portions of North America and Europe -- and another storm will leave a path of snow in its wake from the northern Plains to parts of the South through the weekend. Current Northern Hemisphere snow cover is extensive. This includes Western Europe, where this week the earliest snowstorm since 1993 crippled travel and further strained financially strapped municipalities that needed to deal with the cleanup. Snow also covers the region from the Pacific Northwest to the northern Plains, where potent storms last week interrupted holiday travel. In the mountains, the snow depth can be measured by feet, and even relatively low-elevation locations, such as Salt Lake City, have had plenty of early-season snowfall. The storm currently producing snow from North Dakota to Illinois will move into the Carolinas by Saturday night, leaving a swath snow along its path. The heaviest snow -- up to 10 inches -- will be limited to the Plains and parts of the Midwest, but snow will accumulate as far south as the mountains of western North Carolina and northern Tennessee. Lighter snow showers will likely make it into some cities in North Carolina, such as Raleigh and perhaps even Charlotte on Saturday night.

The ongoing La Nina, which is a cooling of sea-surface temperatures in the equatorial Pacific, has contributed to the early-season winter. But it affects some parts of the world more than others. During a La Nina winter, especially when the effect is fairly strong, as this season's is expected to become, storms across the northern part of the country come more frequently and are often more intense than during a non-La Nina winter. The result is typically heavier than normal snow in the Pacific Northwest and northern Rockies, along with a greater frequency of storms in the northern Plains and parts of the upper Midwest. The effects of La Nina on Western Europe's weather are typically more subtle, with no well-defined repercussions. Therefore, the early bout of winter weather cannot be directly attributed to La Nina in that part of the world. The U.K. Met Office, which is the U.K.'s version of the National Weather Service, chalks up winter's harsh start to current Atlantic Ocean weather patterns. Since the snow in the Pacific Northwest and northern Rockies is a reflection of La Nina, the weather pattern creating the snow is likely to continue. It might end up being a banner winter for ski resorts and a difficult year for travelers. For Western Europe, which is similar to the northeastern United States in the sense that La Nina does not exert an obvious influence on the weather, the phenomenon creating the early-season snow and cold might break, allowing for a more normal weather pattern to take hold. La Nina, which means "the girl" in Spanish, is the opposite of El Nino, which means "the boy." An El Nino is a warming of sea-surface temperatures in the same region of the equatorial Pacific and also affects global weather patterns. The influences are different, however. Across the United States, an El Nino winter typically results in more and stronger storms moving across the southern part of the country, with drier and warmer weather in the Pacific Northwest and northern Rockies. In Europe, an El Nino tends to result in colder than average winters.
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:29 pm

wow -33c that's cold. -27.4f for those using farenheight. 27 below zero .... sure glad I live on the west coast in California. 30f in the mornings is cold enough for me. I couldn't imagine it being 57deg colder

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm

It’s 34 degrees outside at 5:35 PM… I miss sitting on my front porch already… I’m such a baby… it’s not even freezing!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Well - it's now 6:35pm and it's 20'-F outside and a wind is blowing as well. The high today was 25'-F in the countryside.
Yesterday it actually got up to Freezing :!: Kinda felt a little Balmy :tree: :cowboy: YEE-HA!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello :saturn:

There is snow storm in Paris and its surroundings since this morning.
Today, all the bus in Paris were out of order, i mean no bus in the streets because of the amount of snow. Many planes have been cancelled at the Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. There is a huge traffic jam around Paris.

About 10 centimeters snowcap near my house, and it is cold (around 30 Farenheit Degree in Paris, 22 degrees in my little city).
The pictures i attached have been taken at noon, but now it becomes incredible!
Yet, i admit there is still less snow than in the video put by Owlice.

Here you can see the Eiffel Tower hidden by snow (December 8th 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8UScnNkK4

Have a warmer day :lol:

Céline
Attachments
Forest under snow, at noon, Mercredi 8 Décembre
Forest under snow, at noon, Mercredi 8 Décembre
Street under Snow, at noon, Ile de France, France, Dec 8th
Street under Snow, at noon, Ile de France, France, Dec 8th

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Céline Richard wrote:
Here you can see the Eiffel Tower hidden by snow (December 8th 2010):
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

It's not very often in December that you can have one of these
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Thank you Neufer (i would have prefer find out a video in English), and thank you Orin for your beautiful singing.
Have a very nice day,

Céline
Attachments
snow yesterday
snow yesterday

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Today is not very nice out! :cry: It is snowing and blowing. So far the snow is not real heavy. My wife and I plan on doing some shopping; so that may be delayed.
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:59 pm

We had snow flurries here yesterday; a little farther north and east, it made some roads a real mess and there were many accidents.

It feels as though it's cold out, but then, I found the thermostat set at 60°, so that might have something to do with it! (The house is now warming up.) It's 32° out right now; the high is forecast to be 45°. I want to get in a bike ride today, but will definitely need to see what cold weather gear I can turn up because I don't want to ride without it!! The coat-of-unknown-origin that was in my coat closet has disappeared, likely to exH1's house; I had used that last year for cold weather riding until it vanished. Tomorrow the forecast is for rain, possibly turning to wet snow late in the day, so no chance of putting off the ride until tomorrow.

Orin, do what I do: shop online! :D

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:28 pm

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 68#p138749
Last edited by neufer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 am

Brrrr! Never did it get above 11 degrees today! Today started at 0 degrees and is almost down there again. At least the wind died down. We were lucky though; as we escaped the heavy snow that went with this storm. We were on the western edge of the storm that moved in from the North and headed East. :cry:
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 am

Orin, I wish you would please just keep that stuff up there in Nebraska. We don't want it down here in Oklahoma.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 pm

bystander wrote:Orin, I wish you would please just keep that stuff up there in Nebraska. We don't want it down here in Oklahoma.
:mrgreen: Glad I don't live in the Twin Cities! They had 17 inches of snow in 18 hours!
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Buffalo NY can be worse at times until the Great lake freezes over :shock:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.