Post by harry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:47 pm

G'day

The Time in Sydney is 10.54am Tuesday
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Orca
Commander

Re: Hadron collider CERN

Post by Orca » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Sorry Orca that I can no longer tolerate long-winded misplaced authorities, self-righteous pontifications, outright lies, scientific untruths, outrages against true science and accusations of 'folks like you'. It is clear that you are a pontificator and outright accuser. You would, in a court of law, be convicted of libel and slander. It is also clear that your religiosity in the name of science interferes drastically and exceptionally harmfully to the processes of free speech and free intellect. It appears you, and whoever will support you in your statements, are doomed to wander in darkness until you begin to admit you are not seeing light and scientific truth. I will be banned from this site because of your long relationship with the moderators who seem to find comfortable enjoyment and perverse pleasure hiding behind and using improperly and without hint of conscience their delete buttons. Some be it .. the false religion of Big Bang and Theory is Fact will be seen for what it is, a true darkness which the Northstar will shine against until the end of this creation. Join true freedom of thought and expression, apod forum, or stay lost in darkness which fewer and fewer viewers find inclined to participate in. Search the record .. two or three or no posts each day unless the posts are contention and argument and name calling between Chris Peterson and a couple others. You and yours have banned yourselves from intelligent thought and action .. with your moderator issuing Board Warnings without even bothering to mention what the warning is for. True Facist action in the finiest Nazi tradition, wouldn't you say? And right there at NASA. Such a shame, and no need to wonder why, with that kind of mentality, why NASA has repeated catastrophic failures of its equipment. Shame on you for allowing such catastrophes for the sake of your religiosity .. you are the priests of doom.
I think this gravy train has finally finished.

I think it's interesting to note that within only a few exchanges you have shown such emotional responses that you've revealed the weakness of your own position. How about a helpful suggestion. For one, if you are going to call someone an "outright accuser" and tell them they are guilty of "libel" and "slander," it would help your argument if you didn't refer to the individual as a "Nazi" and "Priest of Doom" in the same paragraph.

As for censorship, no one is saying you can't think and say what you want. There are plenty of places for you to talk about UFO's and Conspiracy Theories. These subjects simply lie outside the scope of this board according to the rules.

As for my alignment with the admins, there is none, other than the fact that I follow the rules. I'm sure you read them before you started posting here.

As for the heavy-handedness of the admins, you can see that not one has posted in the few days you've been here. I am not even sure how many actively participate these days. At any rate, anyone who's been banned has had plenty of warning.

I am not going to comment on this particular thread again. I apologize to the APOD community for how ugly it's gotten; sometimes the fight to keep the board on task does more damage than good.

Northstar, good luck. As I said, enjoy your stay.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Hello Orca

I like your words, well written.

Cool and collective

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

I'm just reading through some recent papers on Higgs Boson and the LHC. Please I'm not posting these links for discussion. Just sharing the reading. The complexity of quantum mechanics is enough to give you pain where the sun don't shine.

One of the most WANTED is the Higgs Boson, darn little fellar is hidden.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.5576
Extracting the fundamental parameters

Authors: Dirk Zerwas
(Submitted on 30 Sep 2009)
Abstract: If supersymmetry is discovered at the LHC, the extraction of the fundamental parameters will be a formidable task. In such a system where measurements depend on different combinations of the parameters in a highly correlated system, the identification of the true parameter set in an efficient way necessitates the development and use of sophisticated methods. A rigorous treatment of experimental and theoretical errors is necessary to determine the precision of the measurement of the fundamental parameters. The techniques developed for this endeavor can also be applied to similar problems such as the determination of the Higgs boson couplings at the LHC.
and

oops next link

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 am

G'day

Update on the LHC

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Large Hadron Collider nuclear scientist charged with terror offences
13 Oct 2009
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21743486/
A French judge filed preliminary charges against the scientist who works at the Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest atom smasher.
The 32-year-old Frenchman, of Algerian origin, is suspected of involvement with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, a North African group.
The poor guy was just trying to find a black hole.

The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/scien ... 13lhc.html
More than a year after an explosion of sparks, soot and frigid helium shut it down, the world’s biggest and most expensive physics experiment, known as the Large Hadron Collider, is poised to start up again. In December, if all goes well, protons will start smashing together in an underground racetrack outside Geneva in a search for forces and particles that reigned during the first trillionth of a second of the Big Bang.

Then it will be time to test one of the most bizarre and revolutionary theories in science. I’m not talking about extra dimensions of space-time, dark matter or even black holes that eat the Earth. No, I’m talking about the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.
Their work is fantastic as for the BBT and Time travel, you can wait for santa clause.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:22 pm

:?: Thanks, Harry :?:

I find it very disturbing that CERN would employ a physicist with links to al-Quaeda. :? :shock:

The NY Times article was interesting and somewhat amusing (Is that why they call the Higgs boson the God Particle?). It also included a link to a well written June 2005 article on time travel that was fun, informative, and surprisingly current. :o

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm

bystander wrote:I find it very disturbing that CERN would employ a physicist with links to al-Quaeda.
I doubt it was on his resume!

Seriously, a high percentage of terrorists have backgrounds in science or engineering, and are highly intelligent. I'm sure there are a few scientists with sympathies in such directions to be found in large academic projects everywhere. It's not like they are planning on sabotaging these projects; even a terrorist needs a day job. (And it isn't clear this guy was actually a terrorist, as opposed to somebody just sympathetic to the al-Qaeda position.) I'll bet if you looked closely enough, you'd find a few scientists who are child molesters and thieves as well. Lets hope this incident doesn't mean that anybody looking for a research job will need a deep background check and security clearance.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:I doubt it was on his resume!
To be fair, he didn't work for CERN, but for a contractor doing analysis work. Here's a perspective piece from Nature.

UK Press + CERN arrests + al-Qaeda = Cold fusion?
Nature.com - October 12, 2009

However, I would think that as expensive as the LHC is, and as high profile, I would expect background checks and security clearances to be required, de jure if not de facto. Maybe not at the level that would have been required to expose this, but still ....

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 am

G'day

Now what's wrong with being a terrorists?

My mum used to call me a little terror.

Now my wife calls me a terrible person sometimes.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:36 pm

harry wrote:Now what's wrong with being a terrorists?
harry wrote:My mum used to call me a little terror.

Sorry m8,, I Fail to find The above text useful.

WIMPS?

Any other Reasonings, behind the word WIMPS?

What other undiscovered Matter Can pass through the earth, without been seen?

Complete opposite universe created this universe? Every particle in this universe, is a gate way to the inner universe?

Notes: Matter Seems to be in semi, matter/energy state? Half matter half nothing. When talking of wimps
Notes: If matter can exist in a semi state then ,, Matter has two extreams which it plays a role in both.
Notes: If Energy was converted to matter, And only 5% exits from after the anti matter killing zone,, in planck.. I really would not want to open the other hidden 95% energy that went back to our universes anti shadow.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:21 am

G'day Mark

The text was not useful at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it was a joke related to the previous post.

But! you said
Any other Reasonings, behind the word WIMPS?

What other undiscovered Matter Can pass through the earth, without been seen?

Complete opposite universe created this universe? Every particle in this universe, is a gate way to the inner universe?

Notes: Matter Seems to be in semi, matter/energy state? Half matter half nothing. When talking of wimps
Notes: If matter can exist in a semi state then ,, Matter has two extreams which it plays a role in both.
Notes: If Energy was converted to matter, And only 5% exits from after the anti matter killing zone,, in planck.. I really would not want to open the other hidden 95% energy that went back to our universes anti shadow.
What are you trying to say?

Do you know what WIMPS are?

Do you know the phases of matter not just normal matter but! the phases of nuclear matter?

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 pm

harry wrote:Do you know what WIMPS are?

http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/UKDMC/dark_matter/wimp.html

errrr Yeah

What else are we Blind too? :)

Mark

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:08 am

Hi Folks

I got this touch paper... I have no Idea What will happen,, anybody wanna help me light this fuse?

We know the Bang came from Nothing.. how can you discover that bang,, without making another big bang?

Mark

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 am

mark swain wrote:We know the Bang came from Nothing..
We know no such thing, and very few cosmologists even consider that likely.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:57 am

G'day from the land of oz

In recent years S Hawking has shift his thinking from a BIG BANG to a recycling Big Bang, not as a total universe, but as unit universes.

======================================

Knowing what WIMPS are is different to knowing what WIMPS look like. Can we dect them and find them? The LHC has a lot of work ahead of it and its all in a little nano packet.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0907.4374
Can we discover multi-component WIMP dark matter?

Authors: Stefano Profumo (UCSC), Kris Sigurdson (UBC), Lorenzo Ubaldi (UCSC)
(Submitted on 25 Jul 2009 (v1), last revised 8 Oct 2009 (this version, v2))
Abstract: We address the question of whether the upcoming generation of dark matter search experiments and colliders will be able to discover if the dark matter in the Universe has more than one weakly interacting massive particle (WIMP) component. We outline a model-independent approach, and we study the specific cases of (1) indirect detection of dark matter via the discovery of gamma-ray lines corresponding to direct dark matter annihilation into monochromatic gamma rays, (2) direct detection with low-background 0.1 and 1 ton noble-gas detectors and (3) a 0.5 TeV center of mass energy electron-positron linear collider. For each search "channel", we outline a few assumptions to relate the very small set of parameters we consider (defining the masses of the two WIMPs and their relative abundance in the overall dark matter density) with the relevant detection rates. We then draw general conclusions on which corners of a generic multi-partite dark matter scenario can be explored with current and next generation experiments. We find that in all channels the ideal setup is one where the relative mass splitting between the two WIMP species is of order 1, and where the two dark matter components contribute in a ratio close to 1:1 to the overall dark matter content of the Universe. Interestingly, in the case of direct detection, future experiments might detect multiple states even if only ~10% of the energy-density of dark matter in the Universe is in the subdominant species.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
mark swain wrote:We know the Bang came from Nothing..
We know no such thing, and very few cosmologists even consider that likely.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1326.html

Looks pretty much like nothing to me,, 100 trillion times smaller than the nucleus of an Atom...

There is more space inside a pin head than a hundred billion universes.

canuck100
Ensign

Post by canuck100 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:57 pm

mark swain wrote: Looks pretty much like nothing to me,, 100 trillion times smaller than the nucleus of an Atom...

There is more space inside a pin head than a hundred billion universes.
The scales of smallest to largest in the universe never cease to amaze me. While 100 trillion times smaller than an atomic nucleus is unfathomably tiny, it is not absolutely nothing.

It is astounding to conceive of the universe originating in something so infinitesimal but so many things about the universe astound me that I guess this is just one more!!!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 pm

G'day from the land of ozzzz

You cannot create matter, it has always been there in one form or another.

As for the ability to compact.

Imagine the solar system with the Sun being the Nucleus and pluto being the electron.

How many Pluto's can you fit into the solar System.

That will give you some idea of how matter can be compacted.

To uncompact matter is one of the most interesting processes that scientists today are researching.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 pm

harry wrote:To uncompact matter is one of the most interesting processes that scientists today are researching.
Unless there is no compacting to be done,,, Look at the gears on a push bike.. 5 gears all different sizes.... if those gears were different dimensions.. take 1 Atom from the fifth gear, and let it go in the first gear .....Dimensions being the key..

If a glass marble is stable in our dimension,, move it to another dimension and it becomes a bomb.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:34 pm

G'day Mark Swain

Did you know that most of the matter in the universe is in a form of ultra dense matter?

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:52 pm

harry wrote:G'day Mark Swain

Did you know that most of the matter in the universe is in a form of ultra dense matter?
No,, I was aware that most of our universe was full of dark matter, and dark energy... And I am trying to understand it.

Although I do not think it is entirely correct ...In ways that we can not understand yet

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:08 pm

G'day Mark Swain

Dark matter and Dark Energy have many definitons from various models.

Research condensed matter, ultra dense matter. You can use arXiv or ADS or what ever or Google.

I would give you info on it, but! self discovery is great.

Darn, forgot the kids. Its Saturday Tennis

Got to gooooooooooooo.
Last edited by harry on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:20 pm

harry wrote:Did you know that most of the matter in the universe is in a form of ultra dense matter?
That is false. Nearly all the matter in the Universe is in the form of dark matter, which is not dense. And even when talking about ordinary matter, only a tiny fraction is in a compressed state.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 pm

totally agree with you chris... But, there is a lot more to it, which we do not understand

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 am

G'day Chris

To this date no dark matter or energy has been observed as noted by the BBT.

Although the discussion of dark matter and dark energy in compact matter has been written in many papers.

Do a bit of reading on the subject.

Most matter is found at the centre of Stars, and other compact objects such as exotic stars and black holes (without a singularity)