Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Weather!

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 pm

What a beautiful day yesterday was! :D The temperature finished at 50F! More of the same is predicted for today! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Here's what the prognosticators are threatening me with in Connecticut for the next week. It sure beats 0'F night time tempretures and 12-15'F daytime ones!
7Day-Part2.jpg
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:37 pm

We're (finally!) above freezing!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 am

Well, we are above freezing too, by about 0.2C. It has been snowing, too, and it will snow some more. Tonight the temperature will be about +1C and it will be snowing. The temperature will remain about +1C and on Tuesday morning it will snow some more. On Wednesday, it will be about +5C and extremely windy, and it will rain, too. The rain, wind and temperature will stay the same on Thursday, then temperatures will drop, and on Friday we will get a mix of snow and sleet. Then temperatures will drop back to -5C.

I love January. And February. Not.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 am

Cheer-up, Ann. January and February only come onced a year, and Febuary is a -short- month :!: , so you wouldn't want to miss any of it... would you :?: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am

Beyond wrote:Cheer-up, Ann. January and February only come onced a year, and Febuary is a -short- month :!: , so you wouldn't want to miss any of it... would you :?: :lol2:
Well, I've actually often considered the possibility of hibernating... but... thanks for cheeing me up, Beyond! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Would you believe it; it's raining and the temperature is 37F right now! :? :roll: The high for today is expected to be around 44! At least there will be no ice forming today! 8-) :D For this time of year snow would have been better. Makes one wonder what summer will be like!
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Would you believe it; it's raining and the temperature is 37F right now! :? :roll: The high for today is expected to be around 44! At least there will be no ice forming today! 8-) :D For this time of year snow would have been better. Makes one wonder what summer will be like!
Rain must be a welcomed visitor in your area right about now (after last summer)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:59 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Would you believe it; it's raining and the temperature is 37F right now! :? :roll: The high for today is expected to be around 44! At least there will be no ice forming today! 8-) :D For this time of year snow would have been better. Makes one wonder what summer will be like!
Rain must be a welcomed visitor in your area right about now (after last summer)
Well; yes, but it rained all day yesterday (kind of) and we accumulated .10 inch! It's like a cloud sat over us and real light stuff is falling out of it. We are still inside that cloud today and it is making everything wet and yucky. If it freezes we will be encased in ice! :shock: I don't think it is doing to alleviate the dry conditions yet1 It's going to take a lot of rain; IMO to bring the water table up to where it ought to be! But we'll take what we get>
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

71°F (22°C) and cloudy, thunderstorms tonight. What month is this, again? :?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

bystander wrote:71°F (22°C) and cloudy, thunderstorms tonight. What month is this, again? :?
Beats the -49F IN Fairbanks Ak or the -53F in Chicken Ak

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
bystander wrote:
71°F (22°C) and cloudy, thunderstorms tonight. What month is this, again? :?
Beats the -49F IN Fairbanks Ak or the -53F in Chicken Ak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken,_Alaska wrote:

<<Chicken is a census-designated place (CDP) in Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, Alaska, United States. Chicken is one of the few surviving gold rush towns in Alaska. The population was seven at the 2010 Census. However, usually year round, there are 17 inhabitants. Due to mining in the Summer, is when Chicken's population is at its highest. Chicken is the only city in the world called "Chicken".

Chicken was settled by gold miners in the late 1800s and in 1902 the local post office was established requiring a community name. Due to the prevalence of ptarmigan in the area that name was suggested as the official name for the new community. However, the spelling could not be agreed on and Chicken was used to avoid embarrassment. There are still active gold mines in this area. Enough gold was mined here to make it worthwhile to haul huge gold dredges to this remote location.

Chicken has one important former inhabitant: The teacher Anne Hobbs Purdy, co-author of the book "Tisha" (together with Robert Specht, Bantam Books), lived here for 1 year in the late 1920s teaching the local children. Her book tells her story in the Alaskan wilderness and how she faces the difficulties of a close-set community, prejudices against natives, and the hard winter.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, the thunderstorms never arrived last night, but we are now under a tornado watch until noon, with heavy rain and hail falling now. Love this WINTER weather. (Definitely need the rain)
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm

We lived in a cloud for the last two days and now that the cloud is gone it is getting cooler! We are supposed to get one to two inches of snow; but so far nothing has fallen! :?
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 am

Today the outdoors is going to be like one giant ice-cold shower, connected with strong, gusty fans all over the place which are going to blow harder and harder all day. And I need to do my grocery shopping, and I have to bike all over town in the wind and rain.

Tonight the winds will be so strong that they can be dangerous. After that, temperatures will drop, and on Sunday we'll have more snow, oh joy.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

SheeeeeeeesH :!: :!: 50'F for the last 24 hours, and over night Big wind driven rain. Winter in New England :?: :?: Well... at least i don't have to shovel rain. :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Three hours of spring

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 am

Yesterday we had three hours of spring. All the snow melted, there was a glimpse of sunlight, there was hardly any wind, and the temperature was +6C.

Now a storm is over us, and it will be followed by cold weather and snow.

Okay -rather than make a new post, let me edit this one and add some pictures of the storm!

(Don't the English captions make sense to you? Well, I translated them from Swedish to English courtesy of Google translate! :P Google is not up to Babel fish standards yet! :lol2: )

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 pm

10F right now; feels like -10F according to TWC! :( I think I'll stay inside tonight! :mrgreen: It is supposed to get to 33F tomorrow! That would be nice. :wink:
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Woke up yesterday to find a bit of snow on the ground.

And it's snowing now, and has been, lightly, for the past 90 minutes. Very pretty! (Too cold, though!)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm

46F right now, and the weather channel predicts mild weather for the next 10 days!
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 am

Either going to get 3 or 30 inches of snow this weekend. :ohno:
http://gawker.com/5982121/nyc-will-get- ... is-weekend

I'm sure we'll know with greater certainty in another 24 hours, but still... I expect shoveling no matter what!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 am

rock-and-lava spinning blueberry

hahaha! Cute! And I like the ohno, too!

This storm is supposed to give us just a nod over its shoulder, but hit New England pretty hard.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Powerful Nor'easter Coming Together
A massive winter storm is coming together as two low pressure systems are merging over the U.S. East Coast. A satellite image from NOAA's GOES-13 satellite on Feb. 8 shows a western frontal system approaching the coastal low pressure area.

The satellite image, captured at 9:01 a.m. EST, shows clouds associated with the western frontal system stretching from Canada through the Ohio and Tennessee valleys, into the Gulf of Mexico. The comma-shaped low pressure system located over the Atlantic, east of Virginia, is forecast to merge with the front and create a powerful nor'easter. The National Weather Service expects the merged storm to move northeast and drop between two to three feet of snow in parts of New England.

Credit: NASA/NOAA

Nor’easter Bearing Down on the East Coast, Seen from Space
Slate Blogs | Bad Astronomy | 2013 Feb 08

NASA Satellite Snaps Winter Storm “Nemo”
Universe Today | Jason Major | 2013 Feb 08
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Sounds very similar to what happened in 1978
Though it might not be as bad in some areas as what happened in 1899

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Connecticut is currently in a Blizzard :!: Nuff said.