Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Weather!

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Moonlady wrote:
I saw today in one of the grocerie store tons of easter sweets and that in the middle of January :shock:
Easter and Valentine chocolates! :chomp: :-D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 pm

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Parts-of-Southeast-digging-out-from-snow-4204720.php wrote:
Parts of Southeast digging out from snow
By JAY REEVES, Associated Press, Friday, January 18, 2013
tt-n-to-e-2608028621tt20130116.gif
Long trough hanging over the U.S. on Wednesday Jan. 16, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Hundreds of people spent a cold night trapped on Interstate 65 in central Alabama as a winter storm dumped snow around the Southeast and caused at least one death. The motorists got stuck on the interstate in Cullman County after the snow caused a series of wrecks Thursday that snarled traffic for miles. Hundreds of cars and 18-wheelers were at a standstill on the highway early Friday, County emergency management director Phyllis Little said. "There are hundreds of vehicles on the interstate northbound," Little said Friday morning. "Until we get enough sunlight or warmer temperatures I don't see it changing."

The backup began Thursday afternoon as a winter storm blanketed the area with as much as 4 inches of snow. The jam was made all the worse by drivers who got on the interstate despite the backup, Little said. "Even with the interstate backed up as far as you could see people were still trying to get on it," she said. "Troopers were flashing their lights at people to stop them, and they finally closed exit 310 to keep them off." Little said 120 motorists made it to a shelter in Cullman, but many more couldn't. Officials hoped rising temperatures would thaw the snow and ice and get traffic moving sometime Friday.

In Virginia, the areas hardest hit Thursday and Friday were in the southwest, where the National Weather Service says 13 inches were reported in Giles County, while Grayson County and the Galax area received about a foot. Road crews in that part of the state were out in force early Friday to plow and treat roads. Hardest hit was Interstate 77. The highway still had snow cover and there were reports of disabled vehicles along the roadway. While the winter storm wasn't as severe as initially feared, icy roads remained a concern Friday morning and some school systems decided to open late.

Parts of Mississippi saw 2 to 4 inches of snow on the ground Thursday. In Lowndes County, Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl. Criss Turnipseed said Johnnie A. Matthews, 64, of West Point died when his car collided with a downed tree about 5 a.m. on Mississippi Highway 50. Turnipseed says the large pine tree in the roadway appeared to have been uprooted by wind and ground saturation due to excessive rainfall. The winter blitz follows days of heavy rain across much of the Southeast. No other fatalities were reported but thousands lost power.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Snow in Britain...

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:25 am

In winter, mild weather comes to us in Scandinavia from the west, from the Atlantic Ocean. All other winds are cold. So imagine how depressing it is to hear that the good folks in Britain, situated right in the Atlantic, are suffering from winter conditions too! The Brits, who supposedly should sit in the middle of the mildness that we (or at least some of us) are craving, are getting hit by our ice-cold winter instead! Instead of them giving their goodies to us, we seem to be giving our "baddies" to them! :( :( :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/2 ... SRCHWintry weather expected to cause further disruptions in UK

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Mild weather in a week?

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 am

Oh, but can you believe it? The latest weather report, the very latest, hints that mild weather will come in a week from now, on the upcoming Sunday!!! :D :D :D

Can it be true? Can it be true? Please let it be true!Image

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

I was sitting nice and comfy in my chair when Sassy decided it was time for her walk! 8-) So I put on my coat and took her outside for our trek around the house. Brrr! It's bitter cold outside! :shock: Needless to say our walk didn't last very long. It is a cold 9F and feels like -7F according to the weather channel. I don't think I'd like it if it did get below zero! :roll:
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am

Cold here, too (though not Nebraska cold!). The temperature is 20°F (-7°C), and will drop into the teens overnight, which is pipe-freezing range for my house, where the pipes are in the outside wall and the outside walls are not insulated (so far as I can tell, anyway). All the cabinets are open, the thermostat is turned up from its usual overnight setting, and the faucet will be left a little open all night.

Fun, fun.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 am

Two days ago, the weather forecast held out hope that the weather would turn this upcoming Sunday, and it would be mild. But, you know, promises, promises. Next time I looked, the weathermen said that it wouldn't happen on Sunday, but on Monday. Okay, I'll live. Then they changed their minds again, and the mild weather would come next Monday. The next weather report said Tuesday... the latest update, you get it, says we hope we'll get a tiny bit of warmth on Wednesday... :roll:

Ann
Color Commentator

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm

The TV weather critters say this morning that the coldest three spots in the world (by which I assume they mean reporting weather stations) are in Canada. Here in the relatively benign eastern ocean (on a peninsula, actually) the temperature is -14°C with a wind-chill factor making it -26°C. That must be why I feel like going back to bed for a few weeks.

Rob

PS
I only report what the weather critters say; I don't defend their hyperbole.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Right now it is 1F or -17C outside! Another Brrrr Day! It should start to warm a little starting tomorrow though! I think I'll just stay indoors today'; only go outside with the dog a few times! :shock:
Orin

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

After watching the news video, I think I live in a warm place. Its constantly cloudy and or foggy, about -4°C to -10°C. :(
but its worse in North America:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21176104

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Right now it is 1F or -17C outside! Another Brrrr Day! It should start to warm a little starting tomorrow though! I think I'll just stay indoors today'; only go outside with the dog a few times! :shock:
When i got up about 6:00am, it was -5'F, here in the N/E corner of Connecticut. The only good thing about it, was that the wind had died off. Enjoy your warmth :!: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Moonlady wrote:After watching the news video, I think I live in a warm place. Its constantly cloudy and or foggy, about -4°C to -10°C. :(

Brrrr, what a horrible winter fire "icefall"!!!!Image

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:22 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Right now it is 1F or -17C outside! Another Brrrr Day! It should start to warm a little starting tomorrow though! I think I'll just stay indoors today'; only go outside with the dog a few times! :shock:
Odd weather pattern in the U.S. right now. Normally at this time of year, I'd expect Colorado and Nebraska to be experiencing similar weather. But here, we've been unseasonably warm the last few days- not even dropping below freezing at night, and shirtsleeve temperatures in the day. Not expecting that to change soon, either.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Moonlady wrote:After watching the news video, I think I live in a warm place. Its constantly cloudy and or foggy, about -4°C to -10°C. :(

Some neat photos from this incident:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/15-a ... termath-to
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 am

The weather patterns over Scandinavia are weird, too. During a normal winter - or what used to be a normal winter - southern Scandinavia would get a lot of mild weather from the Atlantic, while northern Scandinavia would get bitterly cold weather from the Arctic region. Now, however, winds blow insistently from the east and northeast over southern Scandinavia, bringing bitterly cold weather from Russia and Siberia. Northern Scandinavia, by contrast, has milder temperatures than "normal".

This morning temperatures around here may well drop to -15C. It's no fun.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am

Ann wrote:The weather patterns over Scandinavia are weird, too. During a normal winter - or what used to be a normal winter - southern Scandinavia would get a lot of mild weather from the Atlantic, while northern Scandinavia would get bitterly cold weather from the Arctic region. Now, however, winds blow insistently from the east and northeast over southern Scandinavia, bringing bitterly cold weather from Russia and Siberia. Northern Scandinavia, by contrast, has milder temperatures than "normal".

This morning temperatures around here may well drop to -15C. It's no fun.

Ann
You're about the same as me in N/E Connecticut. Supposed to get to at least -10'F or better worser :!: and with a wind, unless it dies out overnight.
I have to borrow your 'bluey', Ann. It's bigger than what I've got. Image

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 am

Beyond wrote:
Supposed to get to at least -10'F or better worser :!:
Mind your English in front of Ann, Beyond.

Only Edward de Vere is allowed to say "worser":
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These weeds are memories of those worser hours: - King Lear: IV, vii

Let not my worser spirit tempt me again to die before you please! - King Lear: IV, vi

Two such opposed kings encamp them still in man as well as herbs, grace and rude will; and where the worser is predominant, full soon the canker death eats up that plant. - Romeo and Juliet: II, iii

Some word there was, worser than tybalt's death, - Romeo and Juliet: III, ii

What worser place can I beg in your love, - A Midsummer Night's Dream: II, i

The worser welcome: - Othello: I, i

The worser that you give me the addition whose want even kills me. - Othello: IV, i

The better angel is a man right fair, the worser spirit a woman colour'd ill. - Sonnets: CXLIV

That, were my state far worser than it is, - The Taming of the Shrew: I, ii

Our worser genius can, shall never melt mine honour into lust, - The Tempest: IV, i

My better angel is a man right fair, my worser spirit a woman colour'd ill. - Various poetry: II

I wis your grandam had a worser match. - King Richard III: I, iii

Our worser thoughts heavens mend! - Antony and Cleopatra: I, ii

And where the worser is predominant, I cannot hate thee worser than I do, - Antony and Cleopatra: II, v

'Twas never merry world since, of two usuries, the merriest was put down, and the worser allowed by order of law a furred gown to keep him warm; - Measure for Measure: III, ii

Changed to a worser shape thou canst not be. - King Henry VI, part I: V, iii

This shoe is my father: no, this left shoe is my father: no, no, this left shoe is my mother: nay, that cannot be so neither: yes, it is so, it is so, it hath the worser sole. - The Two Gentlemen of Verona: II, iii

O, throw away the worser part of it, and live the purer with the other half. - Hamlet: III, iv
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 am

I did minded it, neufer, but my inglesh izent to guud.
Edward de Vere :?: I'm Beyond all that.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

Oh, Edward, Vere-fore ist thou not Shaksper?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 am

Ann wrote:Oh, Edward, Vere-fore ist thou not Shaksper?

Ann
Shaksper :?: :?:

Ann, i pray thee, forsake thy prodding of sir neufer about this matter in the weather thread. There's enough of a snowjob precipitation mentioned here already :!:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Heat Wave! It's supposed to get near 40F today! :D 8-) :yes:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 pm

FANTASTIC :!: :!: Warmth is on the way :!: The weather or not guys here are also threatening us with tempretures in the 40's next week. Of course they did the same thing last week, that is now the 10-15'F daytime tempretures we have. They were only off by 30' or so. Maybe they should ask for a raise :?: :?:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Beyond wrote: Maybe they should ask for a raise :?: :?:
A raise in temperature; I presume! :D
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Beyond wrote:FANTASTIC :!: :!: Warmth is on the way :!: The weather or not guys here are also threatening us with tempretures in the 40's next week. Of course they did the same thing last week, that is now the 10-15'F daytime tempretures we have. They were only off by 30' or so. Maybe they should ask for a raise :?: :?:
Maybe they are looking at too many computer models that say it is going to get warmer :mrgreen:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Beyond wrote:FANTASTIC :!: :!: Warmth is on the way :!: The weather or not guys here are also threatening us with tempretures in the 40's next week. Of course they did the same thing last week, that is now the 10-15'F daytime tempretures we have. They were only off by 30' or so. Maybe they should ask for a raise :?: :?:
Maybe they are looking at too many computer models that say it is going to get warmer :mrgreen:
EGGzakly :!: And just who is it that programs the computers :?: Those ::censored:: weather or not guys. :P :P