Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Weather!

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:09 pm

It got down to 0F last night or a minus 18C! Right now it is only 7F! Brrr!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 pm

The dreaded wintry mix showed up here today. I think it finally switched to rain where I am, but the area has a winter storm advisory in place until 7 PM, last I heard. I've not been out of the house all day. My little cat wanted to go out, so I opened the door.... he walked out, stood on the driveway for a few heartbeats, and then walked right back in. :D
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:11 pm

owlice wrote:The dreaded wintry mix showed up here today. I think it finally switched to rain where I am, but the area has a winter storm advisory in place until 7 PM, last I heard. I've not been out of the house all day. My little cat wanted to go out, so I opened the door.... he walked out, stood on the driveway for a few heartbeats, and then walked right back in. :D
I guess he should have -->looked beyond, before he went out. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I see the 'house-bound' resident owl has added an -!- to her sig. I guess it will be a while before the effects of 12/21/12 wear off fully. :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 pm

:mrgreen: It's so cold that it doesn't take long for Sassy to do her thing when it is potty time! :shock: Most of the day she spends in my recliner! We still go around the house a few time a day for exercise though! She don't like the cold anymore than I do! :mrgreen:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:24 pm

SNOW!! Only about 8-inches, but with a bit of wind shaking it off the trees, snowblowing can wait a while.At least the sun is shineing. 8-)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:40 pm

CRW_6538bp.jpg
We've collected a few inches of snow over the last week or so... not a lot of moisture, but at least it seems like winter now. Last night, as we waited for the New Year, the temperature dropped to -16°C and a fine dust of snowflakes drifted down from a clear sky. A spectacular double lunar pillar formed, but by the time I set up my camera the upper pillar had mainly faded. But the lower one extended all the way to the ground... the nicest I've ever seen. A great way to start the new year!
Last edited by Chris Peterson on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Now don't that look like a Christmas Star

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Dang! tried to edit a sentence and lost the whole post! :cry: Just wanted to say that the weather Chanel is predicting some milder weather for us! A week of mid 30's and low 40's for highs; Fahrenheit of course! I''ll probably wind up with an early dose of Spring fever! :lol2: :mrgreen:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm

About the same here, Orin. After a couple-a-few nights of 0' F, give or take, with some wind, I'll be glad to have some *balmy* 30-40' F days. :mrgreen:

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Winter strikes back!

Its freezing cold, around 0° C, but after weeks its sunny again at least.

When I got home today, I used my hairdryer to defrost my ears.
Attachments
Its a sunny and cold day in my town
Its a sunny and cold day in my town
Starring the swan family along with ducks in the small river Lahn
Starring the swan family along with ducks in the small river Lahn

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Here's what my week looks like according to the weather-or-not men. I'm in the top row of numbers, for inland.
7Day-Part2.jpg
As you can see, our January thaw will be shortly going down the cold wintery drain. Brrr.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Out here it's been cold! :cry:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Cheer up, Orin. Spring is just around the corner. Here... that's the season of mud and bugs. It gets so crazy sometimes... that wabbits will even lay colored chicken eggs :!: :!:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Beyond wrote:Cheer up, Orin. Spring is just around the corner. Here... that's the season of mud and bugs. It gets so crazy sometimes... that wabbits will even lay colored chicken eggs :!: :!:
I do hope we get some moisture this year; even if that means mud and bugs this spring! :wink: :D Do you like the wabbits that lay the colored eggs at Easter? My wife takes some of the wabbit eggs and uses them for deviled eggs after wards. I always made colored eggs for my grand kids; but I think they are starting to outgrow the bunny season! :wink:
(I see that the spell check allows wabbits!) :lol2: :mrgreen:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Beyond wrote:Cheer up, Orin. Spring is just around the corner. Here... that's the season of mud and bugs. It gets so crazy sometimes... that wabbits will even lay colored chicken eggs :!: :!:
I do hope we get some moisture this year; even if that means mud and bugs this spring! :wink: :D Do you like the wabbits that lay the colored eggs at Easter? My wife takes some of the wabbit eggs and uses them for deviled eggs after wards. I always made colored eggs for my grand kids; but I think they are starting to outgrow the bunny season! :wink:
(I see that the spell check allows wabbits!) :lol2: :mrgreen:
Yup, you can't have mud without wet. So if you find you have mud later on, then you knows you gots wet. I never took to wabbit eggs when i was a kid. It never made any sense that a wabbit could get into some of the places that they were supposed to have laid eggs. :no: I think most of the time kids just go along with things their parents do, so they can get stuff. Kids aren't as dumb as they sometimes act.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Out here it's been cold! :cry:
Here, too. Haven't been out of the single digits for almost three days now. Running -10°F at night, the highest I've seen in the day is 8°F. The good news is that's a long enough stretch of extreme cold to kill pine beetles.

I don't expect to see double digits until sometime tomorrow, and just teens.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Out here it's been cold! :cry:
Here, too. Haven't been out of the single digits for almost three days now. Running -10°F at night, the highest I've seen in the day is 8°F. The good news is that's a long enough stretch of extreme cold to kill pine beetles.

I don't expect to see double digits until sometime tomorrow, and just teens.
I'll bet it's pretty cool there most of the year! Out here it is supposed to get mild for a few days, and then cool down again with the chance of snow! We need the snow for moisture; even though it brings more cold!
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Cold weather, snow, cold weather

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm

We were lucky for about three weeks to have mild weather, starting about a week before Christmas Eve. The snow melted, and I was happy.

But about a week ago it turned cold again. And yesterday we got a lot of snow. Last night was bitterly cold, and the Swedish National Weather Service claimed that we in Malmö had -15C. Well, the Swedish National Weather Service has picked an extremely cold spot in the eastern outskirts of Malmö to measure the temperature, and where I live we had about -8C.

This morning I had to cycle to the train station. I do my shopping on Wednesdays because I can go home from work early on Wednesdays. I do my shopping on my way home from work, when I carry my school things with me. There is no way I can walk or take the bus carrying two or three heavy bags plus my school things. I simply need to load everything on my bicycle.

The streets and bicycle paths were covered in stiff to semi-stiff, knobbly, ultra-slippery dirty snow of varying thickness. I felt like rodeo hero, trying to tame my wild bicycle and prevent it from bolting in an unpredictable direction. I almost fell five times.

The ice cold weather is here to stay at least for the next ten days, apparently. We'll get more snow, too.

Joy. :evil:

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Cold weather, snow, cold weather

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Ann wrote:The streets and bicycle paths were covered in stiff to semi-stiff, knobbly, ultra-slippery dirty snow of varying thickness. I felt like rodeo hero, trying to tame my wild bicycle and prevent it from bolting in an unpredictable direction. I almost fell five times.
You should get a horse. Without shoes, they are very stable on ice, and are heated as well! I don't suppose that Malmö provides hitching posts alongside the bike racks at train stations?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:53 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:The streets and bicycle paths were covered in stiff to semi-stiff, knobbly, ultra-slippery dirty snow of varying thickness. I felt like rodeo hero, trying to tame my wild bicycle and prevent it from bolting in an unpredictable direction. I almost fell five times.
You should get a horse. Without shoes, they are very stable on ice, and are heated as well! I don't suppose that Malmö provides hitching posts alongside the bike racks at train stations?
No hitching posts, no. I suppose I could do like well-known Swedish fictional character Pippi Långsturmp, who either rides her horse everywhere or carries him with her. At home she keeps him on the porch. Maybe I could keep my horse on the landing outside my apartment? But I'm not sure he'd be happy about riding the elevator.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 am

Ann wrote:No hitching posts, no. I suppose I could do like well-known Swedish fictional character Pippi Långsturmp, who either rides her horse everywhere or carries him with her. At home she keeps him on the porch. Maybe I could keep my horse on the landing outside my apartment? But I'm not sure he'd be happy about riding the elevator.
I foresee issues with the neighbors...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:No hitching posts, no. I suppose I could do like well-known Swedish fictional character Pippi Långsturmp, who either rides her horse everywhere or carries him with her. At home she keeps him on the porch. Maybe I could keep my horse on the landing outside my apartment? But I'm not sure he'd be happy about riding the elevator.
I foresee issues with the neighbors...
Neigh, Chris. Most people like to horse around. ::insert horse laugh smilie here::

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm

I could use horses today too! Like Ann, I use my bike for transportation when I want to get groceries and since yesterday its snowing, I would love to have a carriage!

I saw today in one of the grocerie store tons of easter sweets and that in the middle of January :shock:
Attachments
a cold snowy day
a cold snowy day

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Moonlady wrote:I could use horses today too! Like Ann, I use my bike for transportation when I want to get groceries and since yesterday its snowing, I would love to have a carriage!

I saw today in one of the grocerie store tons of easter sweets and that in the middle of January :shock:
All the dentists make sure that the 'seasonal' num-nums are in the stores as early as possible. :mrgreen: