What is Science?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Sputnick
Science Officer
AKA: Sputnick

Re: What is Science?

Post by Sputnick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 pm

astrolabe wrote:.
Maybe something like this is what you are looking for? :http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080917.html
I will check this out.
Thanks Astro - so, Dark Matter does not react with regular matter that we know of (except it is said by gravity) could DM be anti-matter?
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm

does antimatter not interact with matter?

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Hello makc,

I think they annihilate (spelling) each other.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm

If zillions of Weakly Interacting Massive Particles pass through the earth each second (I'm not saying whether or not they do), imagine if they were Anti-matter! Annihilation gives a whole new meaning to Weakly. If you think little things like cosmic rays will tear you up when you're beyond the protection of earth's magnetic benevolence, anti-matter will make you feel like Bonnie and Clyde at their farewell party.

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm going to post my response on What is Dark Matter instead of here, as this thread is What is Science.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Meghnad Saha's paper 'Ionization in the solar chromosphere' was rejected by 'The Astrophysical Journal' but was pulished by 'Philiosophical Magazine'. "Some historians mark the beginning of modern astrophysics with the publication of Saha's ionization theory."
P. 99 Through a Universe Darkly by Marcia Bartusiak.

Philosophy anyone?

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:19 am

I'm leaving this forum for awhile .. the atmosphere has grown poisonous, and angers me, and I don't enjoy anger. I recommend the offenders here read 'Quantum Ten: A Story of Passion, Tragedy, Ambition, and Science.' By Sheila Jones, Oxford University Press. Just out.

"In 1927 ten leading physicists ... ... Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Paul Ehrenfest, Max Born, Erwin Schrodinger, Wolfgang Pauli, Louis de Brogliea, Werner Heisenberg, Paul Dirac, Pascual Jordan ... ... A quantum revolution that stalled ina a pressure cooker of tension, tragedy, betrayal."

Sound familiar?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:09 am

Sputnick wrote:I'm leaving this forum for awhile
I almost feel good about it, sorry.