Arp 273 - November 15 2008

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Sputnick
Science Officer
AKA: Sputnick

Re: Arp 273 - November 15 2008

Post by Sputnick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Determining Dark Matter density.

The smaller galaxy's arm closest the large galaxy seems to be bent by rotation against what could be the (theoretical) Dark Matter envelope of the large galaxy. The smaller galaxy's arm farthest from the large galaxy shows no similar bend. Could the degree of bending of the arm be used to determine the density of the theoretical Dark Matter envelope of the large galaxy?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081115.html
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello All,

The "gap" in the upper part of the larger Galaxy's disk appears to be complementary to the shape and orientation of the smaller. Illusory?
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:15 pm

astrolabe wrote:Hello All,

The "gap" in the upper part of the larger Galaxy's disk appears to be complementary to the shape and orientation of the smaller. Illusory?
Excellent observation Astro, and my instinct says you're correct; and that either the smaller galaxy sprung from (was birthed by?) the larger, or the larger is opening up in preparation for a merge. Redshift might tell the story.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Hello Sputnick,

I think it's like Tinkerbell through the leaf myself, but your right, redshift is where it's at. I doubt if it was ever a binary BH system that came apart because of like charges repelling. Which brings up an old thought of mine (oh no! Not that!) If BH"s are so prevalent down to say quantum level in size, what DOES keep 'em apart?

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:27 pm

astrolabe wrote:Hello Sputnick,

I think it's like Tinkerbell through the leaf myself, but your right, redshift is where it's at. I doubt if it was ever a binary BH system that came apart because of like charges repelling. Which brings up an old thought of mine (oh no! Not that!) If BH"s are so prevalent down to say quantum level in size, what DOES keep 'em apart?
So far all I've taken ahold of from reading about Quantum Mechanics is that it is said 'quantum fluctuations could cause stars to arise from nothing' (stopping Einstein dead in his tracks in the middle of a busy road). I will add, if stars can arise from nothing, why not the universe .. no Big Bang being needed .. Expansion and Red Shift being explained by the seeming law that nothing stands still except in infinity.

Returning to the Nov. 15 photo .. I do see a possibility that a large enough Dark Hole, say in our galaxy, could create its own galaxy .. with nature saying they would separate to maintain their individual identities.
Last edited by Sputnick on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:28 pm

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello Sputnick,
Gee, could the expansion properties of Dark Energy be working at QM levels. By the way Dark Energy, from what's been said, is perfectly theoretical because it fits the current model, Dark Matter is not theoretical- because it does not fit the current model.

Gotta go.