Enceladus (APOD 05 Nov 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Enceladus (APOD 05 Nov 2008)

Post by JohnD » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:12 pm

No craters?

There's a small (well, less than my little finger nail) area, just to 10 o'clock of the picture center. It looks flat and has slight raying within it. Could this be a crater? Filled with frozen water, liquified in the impact?

If these are present - and why not? - they could be landing areas, if they can be mapped and be long lasting enough.

John

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Enceladus

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:31 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081105.html

I don't think I see to what you are referrring.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm sure NASA will find some landing sites if they decide to go there. I don't want to go though. It's too coooold, :?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081105.html

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm

I see a couple things that could potentially be craters, but really the landscape is so distorted I wouldn't try to say for certain. Enceladus isn't completely devoid of craters, by the way. It's just that it's surface is active enough that it tends to cover them over in relatively short time periods.

Also, I would suppose there are relatively flat areas outside of the heavily striped zones that a potential probe could land, but none are being proposed for the foreseeable future, so it's a rather academic question.

"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)