Hadron collider CERN

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:51 am

I think Henk meant to type 'slower', since 3e-90 seconds is six orders of magnitude longer than 3e-96 seconds. Ie. a more massive black hole evaporates more slowly.

Also, LHC webcams!

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

;)
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:26 pm

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

Hello Kovil

That's why they gave it a 10 year life before they replace it with another.

===========================

As for Black holes.

Do we really know that much about them?

Does the event horizon form or is it just a mathematical thing?
Harry : Smile and live another day.

kovil
Science Officer

How much can I get in my suitcase ?

Post by kovil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am

Hi Harry,

If black holes form, or rather massively compact objects !, they would have an event horizon in theory and I would say, yes, in actuality as well,
BUT, in my ineffible estimation, black holes are not allowed to form because :
As nature abhors a vacuum, it also abhors a black hole !

I suspect there are restraining mechanisms of physics and energy/matter functions, that will in reality prevent a black hole from ever becoming a reality.

Also, how compact can matter/energy really become?
I know you have your own ideas on this, and I respect them and you, but, I likewise have my doubts that matter/energy can actually be allowed to get that compact in natural nature. Maybe in the lab, but not in the cosmos. I suspect there are several mechanisms that will thwart that compactness.

Bravo to you when we find one !!

As much of a pessimist as I might be, I still have an open mind about it all! And I'm very interested in gathering more data on these subjects !
Now, how can we design a satellite/probe/craft to go searching for data on this? And what is the closest BH candidate for us to go to? Perhaps our own Galactic Center! Darn, ~35,000 light years distant, that will take more than a weekend to get to ! and back again !

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:58 am

G'day Kovil

Black holes have varies meanings. I'd rather think of them as a form of compact matter that has fields that are able to entrap EMR.

I have not got the time to go into it now. Later I will post links against the idea of black holes by true definition with an event horizon.

At the end of the day, nobody really knows what is happening inside an ultra dense plasma matter that is named as black hole.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0307

TOPICAL REVIEW: General relativistic boson stars

Authors: Franz E. Schunck, Eckehard W. Mielke
(Submitted on 1 Jan 2008)
Abstract: There is accumulating evidence that (fundamental) scalar fields may exist in Nature. The gravitational collapse of such a boson cloud would lead to a boson star (BS) as a new type of a compact object. Similarly as for white dwarfs and neutron stars, there exists a limiting mass, below which a BS is stable against complete gravitational collapse to a black hole. According to the form of the self-interaction of the basic constituents and the spacetime symmetry, we can distinguish mini-, axidilaton, soliton, charged, oscillating and rotating BSs. Their compactness prevents a Newtonian approximation, however, modifications of general relativity, as in the case of Jordan-Brans-Dicke theory as a low energy limit of strings, would provide them with gravitational memory. In general, a BS is a compact, completely regular configuration with structured layers due to the anisotropy of scalar matter, an exponentially decreasing 'halo', a critical mass inversely proportional to constituent mass, an effective radius, and a large particle number. Due to the Heisenberg principle, there exists a completely stable branch, and as a coherent state, it allows for rotating solutions with quantised angular momentum. In this review, we concentrate on the fascinating possibilities of detecting the various subtypes of (excited) BSs: Possible signals include gravitational redshift and (micro-)lensing, emission of gravitational waves, or, in the case of a giant BS, its dark matter contribution to the rotation curves of galactic halos.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.2467
A note on the black hole information paradox in de Sitter spacetimes

Authors: Cosimo Bambi
(Submitted on 17 Mar 2008 (v1), last revised 25 Mar 2008 (this version, v2))
Abstract: The possibility of stable or quasi--stable Planck mass black hole remnants as solution to the black hole information paradox is commonly believed phenomenologically unacceptable: since we have to expect a black hole remnant for every possible initial state, the number of remnants should be infinite. This would lead to remnant pair production in any physical process with a total available energy roughly exceeding the Planck mass, against trivial evidences. In this note I point out that the number of remnants in our Universe could be finite, at least if the value of the cosmological constant is positive, as present observational data could indicate. Nevertheless, it is not clear if a huge but finite number of states is phenomenologically allowed.
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9911312
Theoretical Black Hole Mass Distributions

Authors: Chris L. Fryer, Vassiliki Kalogera
(Submitted on 16 Nov 1999)
Abstract: We derive the theoretical distribution function of black hole masses by studying the formation processes of black holes. We use the results of recent 2D simulations of core-collapse to obtain the relation between remnant and progenitor masses and fold it with an initial mass function for the progenitors. We examine how the calculated black-hole mass distributions are modified by (i) strong wind mass loss at different evolutionary stages of the progenitors, and (ii) the presence of close binary companions to the black-hole progenitors. Thus, we are able to derive the binary black hole mass distribution. The compact remnant distribution is dominated by neutron stars in the mass range 1.2-1.6Msun and falls off exponentially at higher remnant masses. Our results are most sensitive to mass loss from winds which is even more important in close binaries. Wind mass-loss causes the black hole distribution to become flatter and limits the maximum possible black-hole mass (<10-15Msun). We also study the effects of the uncertainties in the explosion and unbinding energies for different progenitors. The distributions are continuous and extend over a broad range. We find no evidence for a gap at low values (3-5Msun) or for a peak at higher values (~7Msun) of black hole masses, but we argue that our black hole mass distribution for binaries is consistent with the current sample of measured black-hole masses in X-ray transients. We discuss possible biases against the detection or formation of X-ray transients with low-mass black holes. We also comment on the possibility of black-hole kicks and their effect on binaries.

Edit
I added this link

Black holes without boundaries
http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.1711

and this one

http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.3850
Black holes and black hole thermodynamics without event horizons

GOD
Ensign

Re: How much can I get in my suitcase ?

Post by GOD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 pm

kovil wrote:Hi Harry,
I suspect there are restraining mechanisms of physics and energy/matter functions, that will in reality prevent a black hole from ever becoming a reality.
kovil> Yes, ME! I do not wish the Earth's total annihilation, and have Angels watching over it to prevent that. Human beings are children and do not yet even possess the power to do so. Only other higher intelligences in this part of the universe could do so. It is THEM that I restrain.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:15 am

G'day God

What the hell are you trying to say?

GOD
Ensign

Post by GOD » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:38 am

harry wrote:G'day God

What the hell are you trying to say?
harry> I AM confirming kovil's suspicions that there are indeed restraining mechanisms that prevent anything (including a black hole) from annihilating the Earth.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:10 pm

G'day God

Smile,,,,,,,,,,,I made a funny in the last post.

Sorry if you took it another way.

(God) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Hell)

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm

harry wrote:G'day God

Smile,,,,,,,,,,,I made a funny in the last post.

Sorry if you took it another way.

(God) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Hell)
I thought it was pretty good, Harry...

And how could he have not known it was a joke, being God and all?

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:21 pm

G'day

It just came to me.

The name ORCA was the name of the whale.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:52 am

And a fishing boat torn apart by a notorious pair of JAWS

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm

G'day BMAone23

Was Orca the name of the boat in "JAWS"?

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:50 pm

What was the name of the boat in "Orca" ...?

:P

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Wasn't it Bumpo?

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 am

Hi everybody....
I hope we discover the whole shabang, god particles, a gang of other dementions, worm wholes. And maybe even discover the wherabouts of jimmy hoffa. :D . But get a load of this meaningless tid-bit, just for the heck of it.
I just read an article stating mater of factly that stephen hawking has a one hundred dollar bet going with some un- named sole in which he ' stephen hawaking " says / believes that we will discover a big zero from that collider.
Sure hope he loses that bet myself.
Later , see ya I mean.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 am

G'day

Steven Hawkings has lost many bets.

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 am

hi harry
seems i have miss quoted what hawking said....sorry all. He has a one hundred dollar bet that, that God particle will not be found. and that is the full extent of the bet.

I never met a weapon I didn't like. Ronald Regan ( 1989 )

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:44 am

G'day THX1138

Smile,,,,,,,thats not the only bet

Hawking cracks black hole paradox
14/07/2004 19:00
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6151
After nearly 30 years of arguing that a black hole destroys everything that falls into it, Stephen Hawking is saying he was wrong. It seems that black holes may after all allow information within them to escape. Hawking will present his latest finding at a conference in Ireland next week.
Hawking concedes black hole bet
21/07/2004 19:26
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-hole-bet.html

Black holes turned 'inside out'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3913145.stm

Stephen Hawking has put forward a new theory that changes the way scientists view black holes, saying he was wrong about them in the past.

Stephen Hawking, Black
Holes And Alex Collier
http://www.rense.com/general54/zlecx.htm
In his lecture he says that the Andromedans told him that: "Everything in our universe, including us, came from a black hole."
Hawking Loses Bet; Changes Mind on Black Holes
http://www.space.com/news/hawking_bet_040716.html

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:28 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Some people never give up.

The one that flew over the cooker nest.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/hamak ... 016lhc.htm
This turn of events has bought time for the Big Island of Hawaii resident Walter Wagner, who has recently made headlines all over the world in his quest to get officials to reevaluate the science behind the enormous machine. Wagner believes there is a possibility that the LHC could produce a "stranglet", or a possible type of dark matter never before observed, that would grow to destroy Earth. He also fears the possible creation of a black hole during the tests, a scenario that could be just as bad for the planet.
Where do they get them from?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

First LHC proton collisions postponed further

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:16 pm

First LHC proton collisions postponed further
ScienceNews - 2008 Dec 5

Large Hadron Collider needs until next summer to recover from a helium leak that shut the new atom smasher down in September
  • The Large Hadron Collider, poised to become the world’s most powerful atom smasher, won’t reopen for business until the end of June at the very earliest, rather than in April as scientists had previously estimated. Actual collisions between protons might not occur until even later in the summer.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Re: Hadron collider CERN

Post by harry » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:26 pm

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

There must be an easier way to smash atoms.

Maybe a big hammer.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello All,

If the quest of the LHC is to detect smaller and smaller particles of matter then the future could bring smashing particles down tho the fabric of space itself! If that were possible I wonder if anyone has the notion that time itself could also be smashed.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:27 pm

harry wrote:Maybe a big hammer.
Maybe Maxwell's Silver Hammer!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:49 pm

G'day Bystander

Time canot be changed by physical or non physical means.

Time is used to explain motion.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:48 am

Hell Harry,

I don't think I understand time as to the definition that it explains motion but it certainly gives a value reference for it. If the BBT holds up then I would wonder which came first, time or motion. Time or space. IMHO all occured simultaneously so for me it would be just as easy to say that motion explains time as well.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe