People Doin' Silly Things to the Moon (APOD 01 Aug 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

People Doin' Silly Things to the Moon (APOD 01 Aug 2008)

Post by emc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:40 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080801.html

Today's APOD's website reminds me of people dancin’ on planet earth and acting goofy and such. I think it’s a bad idea to make sport of the moon… what if the moon gets mad… surely you’ve all heard of “moon madness”… I for one do not want to provoke the moon… no sir, next thing you know it’s turning into a black hole and there goes the earth and ALL the ponies. Where would we be then? It already blocked out the sun from some folks in China.
Last edited by emc on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Wadsworth
Science Officer

Post by Wadsworth » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm

At least the moon isn't female (the man in the moon).. Then we definitely wouldn't want to provoke it.. er.. her.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Wadsworth wrote:At least the moon isn't female (the man in the moon).. Then we definitely wouldn't want to provoke it.. er.. her.
Are you sure it's just a man in the moon?... There is another side you know. (Probably a good thing she can't see us! 'Cause if she ever gets wind of us havin' sport with her husband... well, the words scorn and fury and event horizon come to mind!)
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23 pm

emc wrote:... There is another side you know...
It's the Dark Side of the Moon you have to look out for. It's the dark side that tried to steal the Sun in China this morning.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/2008/index.html

And why are we showing pictures of a full moon when it's a new moon out? :roll:

Liked that PixHeaven Moonrise Gallery. Thanks, Ed.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:44 pm

bystander wrote:
emc wrote:... There is another side you know...
It's the Dark Side of the Moon you have to look out for. It's the dark side that tried to steal the Sun in China this morning.
I bet you’re right… you know that pesky dark side effects both the man and the woman in the moon… double trouble… no gettin’ around it.

I also just bet that pesky dark side is what done pushed my pony into the hole I found under my birthday present “wrappings” (cosmic pony pooh) last year. Man, if I could just figure out how to use the force... I’d go get that pony, but first I’d smooth things over with the moon folks.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon
Eclipse (Roger Waters)

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 pm

"The lunatic is in my head."

"I can't think of anything to say except... I think it's marvelous! ..."
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The Moon illusion

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

<<The Moon illusion is an optical illusion in which the Moon appears larger near the horizon than it does while higher up in the sky. This optical illusion also occurs with the sun and star constellations. It has been known since ancient times, and recorded by numerous different cultures.

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century BC, holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true. Although the atmosphere does change the color of the Moon, it does not magnify or enlarge it. In fact, the Moon appears about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is further away by up to 1 Earth radius and also because of atmospheric refraction, which makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical axis. (Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 33.5 arc minutes at perigee to 29.43 arc minutes at apogee — a difference of over 10%.)

For over 100 years, research on the Moon illusion has been conducted by vision scientists who invariably have been psychologists specializing in human perception. After reviewing the many different explanations in their 2002 book The Mystery of the Moon Illusion, Ross and Plug conclude "No single theory has emerged victorious".

When the moon is near the horizon there are usually common objects in the foreground (trees, telephone poles etc.) that give a point of reference. Therefore the moon appears bigger next to an object for which the observer has a reference of size. As the moon travels higher in the sky the observer loses this point of reference for comparison therefore the moon appears to be smaller than when it is close to the horizon.

An apparent distance theory evidently was first clearly described by Cleomedes around AD 200. The theory proposes that the horizon moon looks larger than the zenith moon because it looks farther away.

When we see objects such as clouds, birds and airplanes in the sky, those near the horizon are typically further away from us than those overhead. This may result in the perception of the sky itself as a comparatively flat or only gently curving surface in which objects moving towards the horizon always recede away from us.

If we perceive the Moon to be in the general vicinity of those other things we see in the sky, we would expect it to also recede as it approaches the horizon, which should result in a smaller retinal image. But since its retinal image is approximately the same size whether it is near the horizon or not, our brains, attempting to compensate for perspective, assume that a low moon must be physically larger.

The horizon moon is perceived to be at the end of a stretch of terrain receding into the distance, accompanied by distant trees, buildings and so forth, all of which indicate that it must be a long way away, while these cues are absent from the zenith moon. Experiments by many other researchers have found the same result; namely, when pictorial cues to a great distance are subtracted from the vista of the large-looking horizon moon it looks smaller. When pictorial cues to an increased distance are added into the vista of the zenith moon, it appears larger.

The Ebbinghaus illusion

Historically, the best-known alternative to the "apparent distance" theory has been a "relative size" theory. This states that the perceived size of an object depends not only on its retinal size, but also on the size of objects in its immediate visual environment. In the case of the Moon illusion, objects in the vicinity of the horizon moon (that is, objects on or near the horizon) exhibit a fine detail that makes the Moon appear larger, while the zenith moon is surrounded by large expanses of empty sky that make it appear smaller.

Oculomotor micropsia and macropsia are physiological effects in which the under- or over-focusing of the eye makes objects appear respectively smaller or larger.[2] A rough idea of the effect can be obtained by holding your hand a short distance in front of your face. When you switch focus from some distant object back to your hand, the distant object tends to appear smaller. As applied to the Moon illusion, this theory claims that when observing the zenith moon the eyes are "expecting" to focus at a "normal" distance of perhaps a few metres, due to the absence of distance cues. This expectation causes the brain to misinterpret the situation, even when no overt misfocusing occurs, and the zenith moon to appear smaller. The opposite effect occurs when viewing the horizon moon, when the horizon offers cues that the Moon is at a great distance.

According to the angle of regard hypothesis, the Moon illusion is produced by changes in the position of the eyes in the head accompanying changes in the angle of elevation of the moon.?>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:25 pm

Phobos does a reasonable facsimile of a solar eclipse as seen from the surface of Mars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipses_on_Mars

Does any other solar system moon do a better job of simulating a total eclipse as seen the surface of its mother planet?

Does any other solar system moon do a better job of simulating a total eclipse as seen the surface of a neighboring moon?
Art Neuendorffer

henk21cm
Science Officer

Re: People Doin' Silly Things to the Moon (APOD 20080801)

Post by henk21cm » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:07 am

mister Ed wrote:no sir, next thing you know it’s turning into a black hole and there goes the earth and ALL the ponies.
As long as the lunar mass does not change, nothing will happen. The Earth and Moon will keep revolving around each other as usual. Landing on that moon would be a pain in the proverbial anus.

By the way: the moon, Selene, is female:

<<Quote: Wikipedia
In Greek mythology, Selene (Σελήνη, "moon"; English IPA: /sɛˈliːniː/) was an archaic lunar deity and the daughter of the titans Hyperion and Theia.[1] In Roman mythology, the moon goddess is called Luna, Latin for "moon". etouQ>>

Moon is not just in Greek and Latin of female gender. In French, remember the child song "Au clair de la lune, mon ami Pièrrôt, prête moi ta plume",etc. it is female: la lune, in German, Mond, it is male, in Dutch, Maan, is female, in Italian, Luna, is female, in Norwegian, måne is male, in Swedish, måne is female, in Spanish, luna, is female. What gender moon in English is, would be arrogant for a non natively English speaking person to say to a natively English speaking person.
Regards,
 Henk
21 cm: the universal wavelength of hydrogen

emc
Equine Locutionist

Re: The Moon illusion

Post by emc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:49 am

neufer wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

<<The Moon illusion is an optical illusion in which the Moon appears larger near the horizon than it does while higher up in the sky. [snipped]>>
This is sometimes called “posturing”… you know… how when someone listening to you suddenly stands up, crosses their arms and appears much larger than usual. Then you might hear them say something like, “Come back to earth Ed…! Ed…!! Ed…!!! listen to me, you’re not making sense... Get a grip on yourself or I’m comin’ in after you!” (Well…, I made the last part up… symbolism you know… “There’s someone in my head, but it’s not me.”)

This “posturing” from the moon is just to remind us to be respectful and not make too much sport. After all, if it weren’t for the moon, life would be way different and who knows what wouldn’t exist??? Maybe even ponies???
Last edited by emc on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:52 am

neufer wrote:Does any other solar system moon do a better job of simulating a total eclipse as seen the surface of its mother planet?
It is incredible how the moon is sized and situated relative to the sun and how its orbit around the earth and revolution are in sync. What a glorious and magnificent work…! It’s all the more reason to be nice to the moon. After all, we may be viewing the heavens from there some day.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1735

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143416.htm

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news ... _telescope

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/19/mi ... elesc.html
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:34 pm

henk21cm wrote:
mister Ed wrote:no sir, next thing you know it’s turning into a black hole and there goes the earth and ALL the ponies.
As long as the lunar mass does not change, nothing will happen....
What a beautiful balance for life support exists between the moon, earth and sun. Perhaps this balance extends far out into the universe. (Notice how I mentioned the moon first... want to make sure she and/or he feels appreciated! Talking nice always helps!)
henk21cm wrote:What gender moon in English is, would be arrogant for a non natively English speaking person to say to a natively English speaking person.
I can only speak English but I'm not sure about the moon gender thing... A lot of English is rooted in Latin, so I guess we can go with female, although the “man in the moon” is common folk lore.

I just don’t want a mad moon hanging around getting’ angry at us for havin’ sport.

(But the REAL truth is, I am happy for this APOD and pixheaven's website and the chance to chat!)
Last edited by emc on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:06 pm

The picture of the WOMAN IN THE MOON is actually more realistic than the supposed picture of the MAN IN THE MOON.

This illustration was first broght to my attention in the popular old book PICTORIAL ASTRONOMY by Alter, Cleminshaw, and Phillips. I like the illustration in the book better than the one in this link, but here it is:

Picture of the WOMAN IN THE MOON

The seas of Serenity, Tranquility, and Fertility form the top of the hair-do, Tycho is the necklace jewel, and you can picture the rest from there. She looks to the left in profile for us of northerly latitudes (more looking down at moonrise, more looking up at moonset).

I use this mental image to declare "FAKE" or "REAL" when I see the moon in a movie. Nobody else ever cares. There's also "REAL, but at an impossible angle or phase". Nobody ever cares about that, either. That's why I have to come here and tell all of you.
Last edited by apodman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 pm

apodman wrote:The picture of the WOMAN IN THE MOON is actually more realistic than the supposed picture of the MAN IN THE MOON.

Picture of the WOMAN IN THE MOON
Agreed!... the "woman in the moon" imagery is far more pronounced than the "man in the moon"! 8)

But then, I've heard that behind every successful man there stands a woman... not being bossy mind you, but just simply knowing what he should be doing.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:50 pm

emc wrote:
apodman wrote:The picture of the WOMAN IN THE MOON is actually more realistic than the supposed picture of the MAN IN THE MOON.
Agreed!... the "woman in the moon" imagery is far more pronounced than the "man in the moon"! 8)
Selene http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selene

<<In Greek mythology, Selene (Σελήνη, "moon") was an archaic lunar deity and the daughter of the titans Hyperion and Theia. In Roman mythology, the moon goddess is called Luna, Latin for "moon". Like most moon deities, Selene plays a fairly large role in her pantheon. However, Selene was eventually largely supplanted by Artemis, and Luna by Diana. In the collection known as the Homeric hymns, there is a Hymn to Selene (xxxii), paired with the hymn to Helios; in it, Selene is addressed as "far-winged", an epithet ordinarily applied to birds. Selene is mentioned in Nonnus, Dionysiaca 48.581; Pausanias 5.1.4; and Strabo 14.1.6,

The etymology of Selene is uncertain, but if the word is of Greek origin, it is likely connected to the word selas, meaning "light". Boreion Selas is the Greek name for Aurora Borealis. The name is the root of selenology, the study of the geology of the Moon. The chemical element selenium was also named after Selene.

In post-Renaissance art, Selene is generally depicted as a beautiful woman with a pale face, riding a silver chariot pulled by a yoke of oxen or a pair of horses. Often, she has been shown riding a horse or bull, wearing robes and a half-moon on her head and carrying a torch. Essentially, Selene is the moon goddess but is literally defined as 'the moon'

In the traditional pre-Olympian divine genealogy, Helios, the sun, is Selene's brother: after her brother, Helios, finishes his journey across the sky, Selene, freshly washed in the waters of Earth-circling Ocean, begins her own journey as night falls upon the earth, which becomes lit from the radiance of her immortal head and golden crown. When she is increasing after mid-month, it is a "sure token and a sign to mortal men". Her sister, Eos, is goddess of the dawn. Eos also carried off a human lover, Cephalus, which mirrors a myth of Selene and Endymion.

As a result of Selene being conflated with Artemis, later writers sometimes referred to Selene as a daughter of Zeus, like Artemis, or of Pallas the Titan. In the Homeric Hymn to Hermes, with its characteristically insistent patrilineality, she is "bright Selene, daughter of the lord Pallas, Megamedes' son."
-------------------------------------
. Lovers

Apollonius of Rhodes (4.57) tells how Selene loved a mortal, the handsome hunter or shepherd—or, in the version Pausanias knew, a king— of Elis, named Endymion, from Asia Minor. He was so handsome that Selene asked Zeus to grant him eternal sleep (she learned from her sister, Eos, never to ask for eternal life and be left with a grasshopper in your hands) so he would never leave her: her asking permission of Zeus reveals itself as an Olympian transformation of an older myth: Cicero (Tusculanae Disputationes) recognized that the moon goddess had acted autonomously. Alternatively, Endymion made the decision to live forever in sleep. Every night, Selene slipped down behind Mount Latmus near Miletus. (Pausanias v.1.5). Selene had fifty daughters, the Menae, by Endymion, including Naxos, the nymph of Naxos Island. The sanctuary of Endymion at Heracleia under Latmus on the southern slope of Latmus exists as a horseshoe-shaped chamber with an entrance hall and pillared forecourt.
Though the story of Endymion is the best-known one today, the Homeric hymn to Selene (xxxii) tells that Selene also bore Zeus a daughter, Pandia, the "utterly shining" full moon. According to some sources, the Nemean Lion was her offspring as well. She also had a brief tryst with Pan, who seduced her by wrapping himself in a sheepskin and gave her the yoke of white oxen that drew the chariot in which she is represented in sculptured reliefs, with her windblown veil above her head like the arching canopy of sky. In the Homeric hymn, her chariot is drawn by long-maned horses.
. Luna

The Roman moon goddess, Luna, had a temple on the Aventine Hill. It was built in the sixth century BC, but was destroyed in the Great Fire of Rome during Nero's reign. There was also a temple dedicated to Luna Noctiluca ("Luna that shines by night") on the Palatine Hill. There were festivals in honor of Luna on March 31, August 24 and August 29.>>
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm

"George Lassos the Moon" from It's a Wonderful Life.

Hand drawn. Autographed by James Stewart.

If you're one of the three people on "planet" Earth who hasn't seen the movie (or the parody scene in Bruce Almighty), it went like this ...

George Bailey: What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.

Mary: I'll take it. Then what?

George Bailey: Well, then you can swallow it, and it'll all dissolve, see... and the moonbeams would shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair... am I talking too much?

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:03 am

Ooops! My bad. That was just a passing phase...

This APOD sheds more light... http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080808.html
Ed
Casting Art to the Net