HELP WANTED!

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Sagittarius A* and Galatic center-radio arc are the same APOD subject.
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Just a thought...

Perhaps the site administrators should consider the creation of a new sub-forum on "philosophy, history, religion, and politics."

Of course, this would appear to be a complete turn-around on the policy that the forum is here specifically for science and astronomy; a policy I've tried to nurse along as well. However, most forums, regardless of their main premise, have some kind of "catch all" sub-forum for unrelated topics.

This idea might work here, but it would be disorganized and perhaps not very useful.

Perhaps instead of a simple "off - topic" sub-forum we could benefit from one that allows conversations that aren't based wholly in pure science but have implications toward it.

Ideas that expand from astronomy can be openly explored; also, people can feel that their voices aren't being silenced. Yes, they can go to another forum. But don't we all have questions we'd like to explore? Can we not explore them in one hand while maintaining our dedication to science in the other?

Ultimately, no particular branch of science can escape connections toward other disciplines. Astronomy specifically leads us to questions of, "are we alone?" and "why are we here?" and the like. They aren't questions based in science and as such they really don't belong on the APOD or ASTERISK forums. However, such questions are connected to astronomy in terms of human experience.

Again, I am not saying we need a "UFO/Bigfoot/Astrology/Tin Pyramid Hat/Nessy/Hauntings" section. I am just saying that there are worthwhile subjects that branch away from pure science that might have a home here. These subjects might also gain perspective having science to fall back on.

Just crazy enough to work? If not, that's fine too, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu May 01, 2008 8:22 am

If you are looking for a place to discuss ALL kinds of stuff without admins interfering, maybe you should make an IRC channel somewhere, and then we can kindly ask Nereid to put its whereabouts in the rules posting?

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Thu May 01, 2008 7:02 pm

makc wrote:If you are looking for a place to discuss ALL kinds of stuff without admins interfering, maybe you should make an IRC channel somewhere, and then we can kindly ask Nereid to put its whereabouts in the rules posting?
Perhaps; my only thought was that there will always be folks who swing by and want to discuss such topics.

But then, there will always be people who swing by and say things like, "Hi guys! I love APOD! What? What do you mean we can't go faster than light? Maybe not YET! Relativity is stoopid, I can't wait till people fly to other galaxies!"

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Just curious; and Mac widget probably belong here in the cafe!
Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 20, 2008 1:34 pm

The Origin of gold and Golden Globe Awards could probably be combined; and a few others probably need to be moved.
Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 pm

makc wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Nereid! Do you even read this post?
Orin
did you give any links in it?
I gave reference to some posts that needed attention that I couldn't get any response to. I'm surprised that you finally responded to this. Why didn't Neried. I thought she started this post for a reminder to the doubled posts in the asterisk; and the posts that needed to be moved to the cafe. I guess I just got a little frustrated. I know you guys are busy; but I was just trying to do my part. I just gave up.
Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

links

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 pm

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... highlight=

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... highlight=

Makc! Would this work? I cant seem to cut the posted threads. Just practicing! Both Cat's eye posts are from March 22.
Orin
Orin

makc
Commodore

Re: links

Post by makc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 am

Merged per request.
orin stepanek wrote:Makc! Would this work? I cant seem to cut the posted threads.
Yes, in fact we only need topic number to merge threads, such as 13300 in http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... hp?t=13300 above, but links save us some typing and clicks.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:55 pm

thanks bystander - threads merged

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

shadow of opportunity

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

APOD: 2008 June 30 - Trifid Nebula Center - Flux Capacitor

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 pm

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:08 pm

Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:45 pm

These should probably be moved to the Cafe from APOD

Galaxies
Eclipses in the movies
edited
OK, merge eclipses with Solar Eclipse Painting from 1700s (APOD 28 Jan 2008)
Last edited by bystander on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm

The posts split out of this thread (into a new thread), that have to do with spam, has now been locked. It will vanish from public view in a few days' time.

I will also be locking this thread shortly. To report bugs, problems, duplicate Discuss an APOD threads, etc, please use the Bugs? Problems? Report them here! thread, which I have revived.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Orin

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:09 pm

The thread created by splitting out posts related to spam from this, has now vanished from public view.

I'm now locking this thread too.

To report duplicate threads etc, please use the stickied thread at the top of this section of the forum.