The Fox Fur Nebula, gas creatures? (APOD 22 Apr 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

The Fox Fur Nebula, gas creatures? (APOD 22 Apr 2008)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:04 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080422.html

Catchy name! :) It does seem to have a canine type head. The colors selected seem to make it a red fox. I put it on my computer as a wallpaper. Formed fron dust and gas interacting with wind from hot young stars make this a very interesting place. :)
Orin
Last edited by orin stepanek on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sputnick
Science Officer
AKA: Sputnick

Gas creatures

Post by Sputnick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 pm

APOD photo http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

The text jokingly says, "This interstellar beast .... "

However .. I see it as no joke - I believe the 'imaginary' creatures are genuine life forms, and will evolve. To witness the glimmerings of the possibility of endless varieties of life forms all we have to do is examine the ocean's creatures .. jellyfish - fish with electric lights - bacteria living on thermal vents and creatures thriving around those vents.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm

We seem to be getting duplicate on every day's APOD. :cry:
Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:02 am

I edited my url
Thanks to Bystander! I thought it worked when I did the preview; [catchy] got mixed in the url somehow :oops:
Orin
Orin

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 am

Hello Sputnick,

How about the lion's head in the center of the Rho Ophiuchi nebula on the APOD for Feb. 15, '08?
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Sputnick
Science Officer

Roar

Post by Sputnick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks Astro - what a photo! I've seen many 'gas clouds' in apod photos which resemble life forms on earth - and I really do believe gas clouds can be life forms. Before the microscope was developed an imaginative person would have been ridiculed for suggesting a clear glass of water could be home to life forms. I searched for but could not find the photo of the shockwave creating a waterfall .. that one was a real eye opener.

That individual organisms act in unison in surprising ways is demonstrated by tropical lightnight bugs who, while swarmed in a tree in huge numbers (hundreds of thousands? millions?) flash in unison - lighting the tree up.
Last edited by Sputnick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 pm

These just in from posters on the Bacteri0phage topic.

Recent infrared spectral data have shown that complex organic molecules can form rapidly (over a few thousand years) in the environments around old stars and are abundant in many regions of space. These elements and molecules will likely find their way into new stars and planets as they form from molecular clouds

BIOCOSMOLOGY
Quote:
ABSTRACT: Twenty years ago (King 1978) I proposed the biocosmological thesis that the form of life's origin and evolution is a cosmological interactive process defined in the cosmic symmetry-breaking at the origin of the universe. With the passage of time, the pendulum has shifted from the improbability of life as a random molecular accident to an awareness that central biomolecules may be cosmologically abundant products of the clouds forming young stars leading to an RNA-era in which both catalysis and replication emerged from one cosmologically dervied molecule RNA. . This paper unveils the non-linear quantum foundations of biocosmology as the founding science of life.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 pm

astrolabe wrote:How about the lion's head in the center of the Rho Ophiuchi nebula on the APOD for Feb. 15, '08?
APOD: 2008 February 15 - Young Stars in the Rho Ophiuchi Cloud

It does look leonine, doesn't it.

Yes, I know sputnick, just posting the link for others.
Last edited by bystander on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Bystander - I thanked Astro for that one in a post above .. remarkable photo - beautiful - Lions of heaven and earth.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello Bystander,

I appreciate you posting the link for APOD 2/15/08. One of these days (Neil Young?) I'll know how to do that. My computer and typing skills are poor but, thanks to this forum, have been improving.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:05 am

Easiest way to post a link is to copy the HTTP address fron the address bar and post it directly into your message body window. If that fails, try the link with "" as a frame of the link (note: don't use the quote marks as part of the body of the text (insert http address here) use that format.
To hyperlink it to a piece of text try
(hypertext)

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:10 pm

Hello BMAONE23

SUPER! Thanks, I'll give it a go sometime.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:35 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Easiest way to post a link is to copy the HTTP address fron the address bar and post it directly into your message body window. If that fails, try the link with "" as a frame of the link (note: don't use the quote marks as part of the body of the text (insert http address here) use that format.
To hyperlink it to a piece of text try
(hypertext)
I cut the url I want to post and then paste in my message body. I don't have any luck with pictures or part of pictures though.

Orin
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Pictures should work similar to web pages just use Image and paste the image http address in between.

like this from today's APOD

[img]http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... 00.jpg[img] i left off the "/" for close image so that the text line would appear

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks BMAONE23! I'll have to give it a try. What about the cot outs of a photo?
Orin
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:20 pm

The Photo cutouts would need to be downloaded to an Image Hosting site like Photobucket, then linked to the HTTP address created with the download.