The ISS' new robot arm Dextre (APOD 01 Apr 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Lunarwalkr
Asternaut

The ISS' new robot arm Dextre (APOD 01 Apr 2008)

Post by Lunarwalkr » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 am

Would it be safe to say that Dextre's Latin/Roman name might be Dextreius? :twisted:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: The ISS' new robot arm Dextre

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Lunarwalkr wrote:Would it be safe to say that Dextre's Latin/Roman name might be Dextreius? :twisted:
AMBIDEXTROUS, a. Having the faculty of using both hands with equal ease; practicing on siding with both parties.
------------------------------------------
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080401.html

<<Poindexter is a fictional character in the cartoon Felix the Cat. First introduced in 1958, he is the young nephew of the Professor, the arch-nemesis of Felix. Poindexter is depicted as a stereotypical scientist; he is very intelligent and always wears thick glasses, a lab coat, and a mortarboard. A button on the chest of his lab coat acts as a control for whatever device the plot calls for. He helps his bumbling uncle concoct elaborate schemes to get Felix and capture his Magic Bag, though at times both are depicted as Felix's friends. Poindexter always refers to the protagonist as "Mr. Felix".

Poindexter is an American surname descended from the Poingdestre family of Jersey. In its original form, the name means 'right fist'. As a reference to the Felix the Cat character, the term "Poindexter" is now applied to people who are overly nerdy, geeky, or bookish; e.g. :
Art Neuendorffer

Xiong
Asternaut

HAL

Post by Xiong » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 pm

I object to the characterization of HAL as a villain, at the same rank as the Terminator.

The HAL 9000 installed in Discovery was originally trained with scientific ends in mind; its most basic design philosophy revolved around truth and cooperation with its human partners. The faceless bureaucrats who altered Discovery's mission to investigate the apparent target of TMA-1's radio beam carelessly set up unresolvable stresses in HAL when they informed the computer of the true mission and instructed it to keep this a secret from Bowman and Poole.

All this is explained in detail in Odyssey Two. It is a classic example of a man who cuts his leg off with a chainsaw and blames the saw. Perhaps most telling of HAL's true character are the efforts it makes to avert or moderate disaster. First, HAL attempts to suggest to Bowman, without actually saying so, that something has been hidden from him. Second, rather than kill the crew outright, HAL first attempts to disable communications with Earth; perhaps absent that link, a justification might be found for full disclosure. Third, HAL's last act is to play the tape from Mission Control that explains all.

Note that Bowman and Poole actually display less flexibility and humanity than does HAL. Particularly in the film, it's obvious that the men aboard Discovery are rigid, living automatic lives; see the indifference with which a message from family is greeted. When they discuss the possible need to disable HAL -- to end its sentient existence -- their only concern is their own safety. At no time do they attempt a larger perspective on the situation.

All this is well known to fans but I'm concerned that the wrong message is being sent when HAL is declared a villain. I would say rather that it is a tragic hero in the ancient tradition.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Dear APOD,
"April Fool" is a great tradition, with a long history of magnificent literary and journalistic coups.
But it HAS to be done completely straight faced and without giving it away halfway through the paragraph.
If not, the 'joke' falls completely flat and disappoints everyone, the authors included, I have no doubt.

4/10 Can do better.

John

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:50 pm

JohnD wrote:"April Fool" is a great tradition, with a long history of magnificent literary and journalistic coups. But it HAS to be done completely straight faced and without giving it away halfway through the paragraph. If not, the 'joke' falls completely flat and disappoints everyone, the authors included, I have no doubt.
Sadly, in today's litigation minded and gullible society, if the joke is not announced, someone will sue because they were made to look foolish. :cry:

neufer

Re: HAL

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:34 pm

Xiong wrote:I object to the characterization of HAL as a villain, at the same rank as the Terminator.

The HAL 9000 installed in Discovery was originally trained with scientific ends in mind; its most basic design philosophy revolved around truth and cooperation with its human partners. The faceless bureaucrats who altered Discovery's mission to investigate the apparent target of TMA-1's radio beam carelessly set up unresolvable stresses in HAL when they informed the computer of the true mission and instructed it to keep this a secret from Bowman and Poole.

All this is explained in detail in Odyssey Two. It is a classic example of a man who cuts his leg off with a chainsaw and blames the saw. Perhaps most telling of HAL's true character are the efforts it makes to avert or moderate disaster. First, HAL attempts to suggest to Bowman, without actually saying so, that something has been hidden from him. Second, rather than kill the crew outright, HAL first attempts to disable communications with Earth; perhaps absent that link, a justification might be found for full disclosure. Third, HAL's last act is to play the tape from Mission Control that explains all.

Note that Bowman and Poole actually display less flexibility and humanity than does HAL. Particularly in the film, it's obvious that the men aboard Discovery are rigid, living automatic lives; see the indifference with which a message from family is greeted. When they discuss the possible need to disable HAL -- to end its sentient existence -- their only concern is their own safety. At no time do they attempt a larger perspective on the situation.

All this is well known to fans but I'm concerned that the wrong message is being sent when HAL is declared a villain. I would say rather that it is a tragic hero in the ancient tradition.
"It's the damn company."
  • Alien (1979)
    --------------------------------
    Ash: There is an explanation for this, you know.
    Ripley: Ash, that transmission - Mother's deciphered part of it. It doesn't look like an S.O.S.

Ash: What is it, then?

Ripley: Well, I, it looks like a warning. I'm gonna go out after them.

Ash: What's the point? I mean by the, the time it takes to get there, you'll, they'll know if it's a warning or not, yes?
    Ash: Ripley, for God's sake, this is the first time we've encountered a species like this. It has to go back. All sorts of tests have to be made.

Ripley: Ash, are you kidding? This thing bled acid. Who knows what it's gonna do when it's dead?

Ash: I think it's safe to assume it isn't a zombie.
    Parker: It's a robot. Ash is a god damn robot.
    Ash: Well, as I said, I'm still... collating, actually, but uh, I have confirmed that he's got an outer layer of protein polysaccharides. Has a funny habit of shedding his cells and replacing them with polarized silicon, which gives him a prolonged resistance to adverse environmental conditions. Is that enough?

Ripley: That's plenty. What does it mean?

Ash: Well, it's an interesting combination of elements making him... a tough little son-of-a-bitch.

Ripley: And you let him in.

Ash: I was obeying a direct order. Remember?

Ripley: Ash. When Dallas and Kane are off the ship, I'm Senior Officer.

Ash: Oh, yes, I forgot.

Ripley: You also forgot the Science Division's basic quarantine law.

Ash: No, that I didn't forget.

Ripley: Oh, I see, you just broke it. Hmm?

Ash: Look. What would you have done with Kane, hmm? You know his only chance of survival was to get him in here.

Ripley: Unfortunately, by, uh, breaking quarantine, you risk everybody's life.

Ash: Maybe I should have left him outside. Maybe I've jeopardized the rest of us, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

Ripley: That's a pretty big risk for a Science Officer. It's, uh, not exactly out of the manual, is it?

Ash: I do take my responsibilities as seriously as you, you know. You do your job and let me do mine, yes?
    Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?

Ash: No, we're still collating.

Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Ash: What would you like me to do?

Ripley: Just what you've been doing, Ash, nothing.
    Ripley: Ash, can you hear me? ASH?

Ash: Yes, I can hear you.

Ripley: What was your special order?

Ash: You read it. I thought it was clear.

Ripley: What was it?

Ash: Bring back life form. Priority One. All other priorities rescinded.

Parker: It's the damn company. What about our lives, you son of a bitch?

Ash: I repeat, all other priorities are rescinded.

Ripley: How do we kill it Ash? There got to be a way of killing it, how - HOW do we do it?

Ash: You can't.

Parker: That's bullshit.

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Parker: Look, I am, I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.

Ash: [Ripley goes to disconnect Ash, who interrupts] Last word.

Ripley: What?

Ash: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies. :roll:
Art Neuendorffer

soupphysics
Ensign

Post by soupphysics » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:57 pm

It completely ruins any april fools joke, when the authors lets you know that it's an april fools joke!

It's suppose to be something you figure out, and of course some people don't figure out right away.

This joke is so obvious that nobody would be fooled, so why give it away like that.

That just ruined it!

ta152h0
Schooled

go bots

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:15 pm

My grandson asked me how his Go-Bot got on the monitor :roll:
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 pm

soupphysics wrote:It completely ruins any april fools joke, when the authors lets you know that it's an april fools joke!
Batman's Shakespeare Bust - On the crime fantasy BATMAN/ABC/1966-68, a bronze bust of William Shakespeare sat on a desk in the private study of millionaire Bruce Wayne (Adam West) who, in reality, was the masked crime fighter Batman. When the hinged head of the bust was pulled back from its shoulder, it revealed a button...a button that when pushed controlled the sliding doors that revealed the Batpoles that lead down into the Batcave.

http://www.tvacres.com/statues_batman.htm
http://www.thegreenhead.com/2004/09/bat ... e-size.php
--------------------------
William Shakespeare
Born: 23-Apr-1564
Died: 23-Apr-1616 (same day as Cervantes!)
Parents: illiterate
Wife: illiterate
Children: illiterate
Grand daughter: illiterate
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &q=Shakesp
Art Neuendorffer

buzdavis
Asternaut

Post by buzdavis » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 pm

The classic fable of humans mistakenly creating technological evildoers dates back to Frankenstein
Doesn't it go back further than this ? Doesn't the Golem predate Frank ?

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:47 am

Frankenstein? Shakespeare?
Surely we have tangled threads here?

JOhn

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm

JohnD wrote:Dear APOD, "April Fool" is a great tradition, with a long history of magnificent literary and journalistic coups.
But it HAS to be done completely straight faced and without giving it away halfway through the paragraph.
If not, the 'joke' falls completely flat and disappoints everyone, the authors included, I have no doubt.
  • Day of the Loof Lirpa
    By Allison Klein Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008; Page B01

<<The seemingly urgent e-mail jarred hundreds of people in Northwest Washington yesterday: A loof lirpa had escaped from the National Zoo and was galloping around the streets of Cleveland Park. A careless zookeeper had been distracted while the animal's enclosure was unlocked, and the 350-pound lirpa, which has "gazelle-like horns," hurtled off, according to community activist Bill Adler's posting on the Cleveland Park electronic message board.

D.C. Police Cmdr. Andy Solberg quickly weighed in, alerting residents that a department helicopter was on the case. In his e-mail to the 6,200 people on the neighborhood e-mail list, Solberg added: "If we are not successful in assisting the Zoo with finding the lirpa today, I have the utmost confidence we will probably get him tomorrow."

Adler's e-mail, issued at 8:19 a.m., warned in capital letters: "DO NOT TRY AND CAPTURE THE LOOF LIRPA ON YOUR OWN. IF YOU HAVE A LARGE DOG, PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOG INSIDE." It said the lirpa was planning to mate this weekend and is so nearsighted that it could mistake a golden retriever for a potential partner. And there's more: The animal has an aroma "that can best be described as smelling like 'cheap cologne,' " Adler wrote.>>
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:00 pm

JohnD wrote:Frankenstein? Shakespeare?
Surely we have tangled threads here?

JOhn
Is that what they mean by "Entanglement"?
:lol:

DanKarlan
Asternaut

HAL 9000 as villain

Post by DanKarlan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Xiong wrote:
I object to the characterization of HAL as a villain, at the same rank as the Terminator.

My reply:

In the Movie, "2001: A space Odyssey", the HAL 9000 computer is seen as a villain, at least by the American Film Institute, http://www.afi.com/docs/tvevents/pdf/handv100.pdf

While it is clear within the novel that HAL's murders are triggered by the overriding need to keep the mission secret, HAL's problem is that he has no moral limits to his actions. Asimov's robots had a core value, not to harm human beings, or through inaction, allow harm to occur to a human, as we note in "The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived," 2006, HarperCollins, yes it's still on sale there and on Amazon (we expect Taiwanese and Chinese editions to be forthcoming). It's not the first time a robot has turned against its owners. Think of M-5 in Star Trek, and Moxon's Master, and R.U.R. But movies make a deep impression, and reach a large audience, so this film was an important point in the public's exposure to computer ethics.

HAL could not have done other than he did, as was correctly pointed out. But why did he continue his rampage to murder the three astronauts in hibernation? What threat did they pose? If the ship was constructed to ferry humans out to Jupiter, how could the mission be completed with them all dead? HAL was only one component of a large mission whose purpose was not purely scientific, but a military investigation of a possible threat. We might not blame a shark for eating its handler, but Dr. Clark -- and his fictional engineers -- was aware of Asimov's laws. Fiction often warns of us real dangers, whether it's taking a job working for Ebenezer Scrooge or letting your daughter go to the Prom with a fellow who has pointy teeth and a cape.

Computers need to be monitored closely, and validated, because these days, we're trusting them with more and more decisions. And their interests (when they decide they have them) may not be what we intended.

neufer

Re: HAL 9000 as villain

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:16 pm

DanKarlan wrote:Xiong wrote: HAL could not have done other than he did, as was correctly pointed out. But why did he continue his rampage to murder the three astronauts in hibernation? What threat did they pose? If the ship was constructed to ferry humans out to Jupiter, how could the mission be completed with them all dead?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made.
No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information.

It's simply a case of the dangerous mix of very poor
decision making plus *UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM*

HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can
give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
I've still got the greatest *ENTHUSIASM* and confidence in the mission.
-------------------------------------------------------
Kramer: Well it's a story about love, deception,
greed, lust and... *UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM*.
Elaine: *UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM*...?
Kramer: Well , that's what led to Billy Mumphrey's downfall.
Elaine: Oh! boy.
Kramer: You see Elaine, Billy was a simple country boy.
You might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the
high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.
Elaine: Oh! my God.
Elaine: It's a story about love ,deception ,
greed , lust and.... *UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM* .
Mandel: *UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM*.
Elaine: Yeah!..tha..that's right. that That's what led to
...(throath clearing) Billy Mumphrey's downfall.
Mandel: hmmm...interesting take. So you believe, has he not
been so *ENTHUSIASTIC* he could have adverted disaster.
Art Neuendorffer

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 pm

What about omnidextrous? "Skilled in the use of not only one's own right and left hands, but other people's as well."

hehehe...

and HAL wasn't that bad. It did do what Dave asked at the end of 2010 and transmit that final message concerning Europa, not to mention allowing the humans to escape Jupiter's transformation.