Do you know

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Do you know

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:06 pm

How many men walked on the surface of the Moon?

This happened over 30 years ago and nobody has been there since. I think the exploration of space begins here. Evidently; there is no urgency about going here since Mars is getting all the attention. I think going to the moon would be more logical place to set up a base on first;as much could be learned by doing this. the technology learned by using the moon would make the trip to mars a lot safer.
Orin
Last edited by orin stepanek on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:30 pm

I believe there were 7 walking missions sent to the moon with 6 landings of 2 men each for a total of 12 men. Appollo 13 didn't make orbit.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:43 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I believe there were 7 walking missions sent to the moon with 6 landings of 2 men each for a total of 12 men. Appollo 13 didn't make orbit.

They were:
Apollo 11; Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin
Apollo 12; Charles Conrad and Alan Bean
Apollo 14; Alan Shepard and Edgar Mitchell
Apollo 15; David Scott and James Irwin
Apollo 16; John Young and Charles Duke
Apollo 17; Harrison Schmitt and Eugene Cernan
Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm

I was watching the Science channel the other day and it sounds like the plans are to go to the moon and setting up a base there before sending a mission to Mars. I'm not familiar with the time line on these plans.
Orin
Orin

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:16 pm

I think some other countries - Russia? China? India?? the European Union??? - have announced plans, in one form or another, for putting people on the Moon (whether men, women, or something else, I don't know).

IIRC, there was an article on this in a recent Planetary Society magazine ...

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:01 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I was watching the Science channel the other day and it sounds like the plans are to go to the moon and setting up a base there before sending a mission to Mars. I'm not familiar with the time line on these plans.
Orin
It would make a lot of sense to launch a mission to Mars from the Moon (or even space). The increase in the size of the possible payload due to the difference in the magnitude of the gravity well would probably justify the expense of establishing a moon base. I just hope any efforts to do so are truly international.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:38 pm

bystander wrote: I just hope any efforts to do so are truly international.
My question is this: if various nations go back too soon, will there been an all-to-familiar brand of "international relations?" What happens if and when countries start claiming regions of the moon and disputing those claims?

There are times when I am glad we haven't moved into space too quickly.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Orca wrote:My question is this: if various nations go back too soon, will there been an all-to-familiar brand of "international relations?" What happens if and when countries start claiming regions of the moon and disputing those claims?

There would be a race for prime real estate and a lot of duplication of effort. Kind of like antartica, only a lot more expensive. I think a collaborative effort amoung the space faring nations (USA, European Union, Russia, Japan, India, and China) would be more cost effective. Getting all those people to cooperate with national egos on the line would probably be too much to hope for, but maybe efforts with the International Space Station will help pave the way.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:11 pm

bystander wrote:
Orca wrote:My question is this: if various nations go back too soon, will there been an all-to-familiar brand of "international relations?" What happens if and when countries start claiming regions of the moon and disputing those claims?

There would be a race for prime real estate and a lot of duplication of effort. Kind of like antartica, only a lot more expensive. I think a collaborative effort amoung the space faring nations (USA, European Union, Russia, Japan, India, and China) would be more cost effective. Getting all those people to cooperate with national egos on the line would probably be too much to hope for, but maybe efforts with the International Space Station will help pave the way.
The cost would be formidable! Besides who would be deemed the owner that would have the right to sell real estate on Luna? Maybe a new homestead act would have to be enstated?!!! :lol:
Orin
Orin