what was that?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
goatdude72
Asternaut

what was that?

Post by goatdude72 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:55 am

Hello,

My name is Scott and in the week of February the 6th, 2006. I was homeless and sleeping out in the woods. Early in the morning I woke up and saw the brightest star I have ever seen; I mean this thing was bright. I know I am not crazy and I did see something however, I never saw it again. When I got back on my feet I did some research to find out what it was I saw. I thought it might have been a comet, yet it was too bright and did not have a tail. It was kind of a gold color and roughly to the east. I have done so much research and even found a “Planet X” theory and I know it wasn’t Venus cause it was too late at night or too early in the morning also, it was too high up in the sky. Then I found this site. And found a picture of a super nova. However, the picture taken of the super nova was a week later. Is this what I saw? I really hope so cause for over a year and a half it has been driving me crazy.

Sincerely,

Scott

redpark
Asternaut

Post by redpark » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:49 am

hummm. well, skymap shows that venus *was* high in the eastern sky in the morning during the week that you saw your bright star. venus can be very bright; i'll bet that is what you saw.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:19 pm

A bit late with my response, but then look at the dates from the time the OP saw the object and when the inquiry was made....
It might have been an iridium flare, since the OP said he hadn't seen it since that one morning.
See here:
http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html

(*I just googled "Iridium Flare", and copied the first link, but you get the idea....)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Jim Colyer
Asternaut

Post by Jim Colyer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:03 am

It was the Star of Bethlehem.
Jim Colyer wrote Save The Planet.

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Post by jesusfreak16 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:01 am

now that was interesting :? :D
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)