How do Martian craters survive? (APOD 22 Oct 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
moshulu
Asternaut

How do Martian craters survive? (APOD 22 Oct 2007)

Post by moshulu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am

Something has always puzzled me about Martian craters. Given that they are very old, and that there is so much dust/soil all over the place, why aren't the craters filled to the rim? Does the wind fill and empty them at the same rate? How does the amount of filling depend on wind speed, particle size, crater depth, etc? After hundreds of millions of years, shouldn't the craters be full of the heaviest particles that somehow got in? Has anyone studied this?

ruidh
Ensign

Re: How do Martian craters survive?

Post by ruidh » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:53 pm

moshulu wrote:Something has always puzzled me about Martian craters. Given that they are very old, and that there is so much dust/soil all over the place, why aren't the craters filled to the rim?
Clearly, it's because the volume of dust on Mars isn't sufficient to fill all of the craters. And I'm not at all surprised that it isn't. Dust is made by the erosion of rock: wind erosion mostly, though some small amounts from freeze/thaw cycles near the poles and minute amounts from impacts. The more dust you have, the more it piles up on the surface and covers the rocks you need to make more dust. Eventually, the rate of dust production falls to a minimum and little more dust is produced.

Take a look at Victoria Crater which Opportunity is just entering, there's some dust pooling at the bottom of the crater -- the dunes are pretty obvious in the pictures, but, there's clearly not enough duct to fill that crater completely and the wind is strong enough to pull some out as it flows over the crater. The crater itself is likely in equilibrium -- filling and emptying at the same rate.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 pm

look at this image of Victoria crater

between the words "Ripple" and "Duck Bay" you see the rovers tracks traveling beside what is clearly (to me) a filled in crater here in this larger image.