why?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
stargazer_lianne
Asternaut

why?

Post by stargazer_lianne » Thu May 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi!
Last April 21-23, my family went to my mother's hometown (Cabucgayan, Biliran Island...Philippines) and on April 22, the moon looked blurry to all of us. So we took a pictures of it and made sure that we would take the picture with a stable base so it wouldn't be blurry. What we got in the picture is the same image of the moon we saw that night. Can you please tell me what you think about it and explain as to why and how this can be possible. It was probably because of a cloud but there weren't clouds that night.. the sky was clear and full of stars. here's a link: http://atatiataa.multiply.com/photos/album/23
Last edited by stargazer_lianne on Sun May 06, 2007 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
...build a r0cket t0 the stars...fly away

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri May 04, 2007 8:15 am

my best guess is that camera autofocusing system fails. try to play with manual mode, if it is supported.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri May 04, 2007 1:24 pm

Makc give it up....lame response.

Actually stargazer_lianne, there is an explaination but do you really really want to know?
The explaination would rock your socks off and would not be politically correct to explain here on this forum.
Tic Toc

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri May 04, 2007 5:13 pm

please, not another bee thread! please? can we please rule out government secret weapon testing this time?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat May 05, 2007 3:39 am

ohhhh funny one makc, , , lol :( , , , oh well, yah trying to match Harry in nonsencical posts? LOL, , (jk)

stargazer_lianne
You may find with some research that our moon hasn't been where it is supposed to be several times and is very well doccumented. That you may have noticed som strange abnormality about it being "fuzzy", or out of focus (and it aint the damn camera) these too are reported now and again. Seek and you will find. You determin if it may be truth or deception.

Norval :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

astro_uk
Science Officer

Post by astro_uk » Sat May 05, 2007 10:36 am

The moon appearing fuzzy to both you and a camera would imply that the effect is real. I would guess it would be due to strong turbulent winds higher in the atmosphere, its the same kind of thing that makes stars twinkle, but would have to be very very turbulent to make something larger than a point source appear fuzzy, for the same reason that in normal weather stars twinkle but planets do not. Light patchy cloud would make this effect more noticeable.

P.S. I can't see the picture so I could be completely wrong, I don't have an account for the site.

stargazer_lianne
Asternaut

thanks

Post by stargazer_lianne » Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 pm

thanks for your replies. it probably is because of a light cloud but i dont know. it could be the American and Philippine government playing damn tricks on us. :) i dont know... the elections are comin up and they could be tryin to keep us busy thinkin about the moon and not notice the killings goin on here in our country. but hey---this is just my opinion. back to the moon, ...i'm just thankful it's still there. fuzzy or not, thankfully it's still shining :) [/img]

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:39 pm

ASTRO,
If you try the link again but remove the "[/img]" tag from the end of the address, the site should load ok and both images should be visible.

http://atatiataa.multiply.com/photos/album/23

astro_uk
Science Officer

Post by astro_uk » Sat May 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks missed the rogue tag on the end.

It looks like it could well be due to ice crystals in the upper atmosphere the kind of thing that causes things like haloes around the moon. See here for some examples:

http://home.clara.net/rfleet/gbh/mpill1.html
http://home.clara.net/rfleet/gbh/mhalo1.html

stargazer_lianne
Asternaut

Post by stargazer_lianne » Sun May 06, 2007 4:32 am

astro,
probably... thanks for the images..

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 pm

astro_uk wrote: due to ice crystals in the upper atmospherethe kind of thing that causes things like haloes
I would agree but the phenomenon with the rainbow colours seen in segments not the bows or halos is a more resent occurrence over the past decade or less. This would mean there is a higher concentration of ice crystals in the atmosphere than previously noted. Terraforming at its best and non-invasive.
Tic Toc