suggest flash movies

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ecdowney
Asternaut

suggest flash movies

Post by ecdowney » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:00 am

Hello,

I would like to recommend a more portable movie format such as flash be used. Thank you.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:03 pm

I'd like to say I agree that some animation formats are better than others.

The .mov format alienates PC users who choose not to install Quicktime. I'm sure Mac folks have problems with .wmv and other Windows-specific formats.

MPEG (.mpg), for example the animation link from the March 12 Jupiter rotation APOD, is better in that it is platform nonspecific. Personally I'd rather see MPEG (with a simple, universally available codec) used than flash format, though I do have Flash installed.

-Noel

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 pm

NoelC wrote:I'd like to say I agree that some animation formats are better than others.

The .mov format alienates PC users who choose not to install Quicktime. I'm sure Mac folks have problems with .wmv and other Windows-specific formats.

MPEG (.mpg), for example the animation link from the March 12 Jupiter rotation APOD, is better in that it is platform nonspecific. Personally I'd rather see MPEG (with a simple, universally available codec) used than flash format, though I do have Flash installed.

-Noel
Agreed 100%.

The Jupiter movie was pretty cool. I can't wait (8 years!) to see the same thing from Pluto.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

Stan Welsh
Asternaut

APOD Movies

Post by Stan Welsh » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:54 am

When I click on the new APOD movie "play" button, the movie downloads but does not run. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to run the downloads?
Thanks to all,
SW

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Re: APOD Movies

Post by Andy Wade » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:59 am

Stan Welsh wrote:When I click on the new APOD movie "play" button, the movie downloads but does not run. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to run the downloads?
Thanks to all,
SW
Works for me.
Regards,
Andy.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070329.html

Are you talking about the March 29, 2007 APOD?

Clicking anywhere on the image should take you to a new page showing an animated GIF image of the photo frames. If you have a slow internet connection, it will take a while to download and will typically (depending on your browser) show just one frame until the next is loaded.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)