Sky Photography

The cosmos at our fingertips.
SaNchEz
Asternaut

Sky Photography

Post by SaNchEz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Quick question.

How do people go about capturing images of the Nebulae amidst the milky way with a 30 minute exposure with no star trails?

I am a photographer myself and my shots never come out stable (Because of Earth rotation of course..) As you can see below. This was a mere 7 minute exposure @ around 1AM PST.

FreebirdsWB
Ensign

Post by FreebirdsWB » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:02 am

I have taken a 20 minute exposure before. I used a simple 35mm camera with a 200mm lense. Used a plunger shutter control and locked it open.

The trick was that we mounted it onto a telescope that I was looking through with my own eye... so the camera was pointed in the same general direction as my telescope was.

The eyepiece I was using had a bullseye. I found a star that was bright enough for me to track and kept it inside that bullseye with electric slow motion controls. I was able to capture an incredible picture with relatively little blur but definitely no star trails.

Of course, many people spend more money and time getting a motor for their camera mounts and polar aligning it so that it follows the sky automatically and without you having to bend over your apparatus for x amount of time...

Consider this one.... http://www.galaxyphoto.com. I've been to this guy's site (this one)and know that he has his camera set in concrete... permanantly polar aligned!