Ugly Piece of Earth Raping Hardware (APOD 22 Nov 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:37 am

Nereid wrote:Threads on same APOD merged; the other thread was started by kiffy, and was entitled "I'm Embarassed 11/22/06".
this merging thing kinda messes posts up. I wonder if there was any other way to implement it. /offtiopic

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:40 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:FieryIce,
Interesting how this outer moon does appear strip mined, Interesting correlation
BMA, there are many more examples, Miranda is just one. Start examining craters, some have tiered rims and sides comparable to open pit mining.

Interesting mining pictures:
Mining Technology

Mining Technology Projects, bottom of page
Tic Toc

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:38 pm

FieryIce wrote:...BMA, there are...
It ust came to me arent u per chance doom3world admin? he has similar nick

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:03 pm

ckam wrote:
FieryIce wrote:...BMA, there are...
It ust came to me arent u per chance doom3world admin? he has similar nick
If you are refering to me? Nope. I don't adnim any boards so I guess it is purely chance that our nanes are similar.

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:00 am

Galactic Groove wrote:i can't believe it, i just wrote about 2 hours of stuff about this, my session disconnected, and now everything i wrote is lost........ wonderful (i've left out swear words out of respect but it was hard) Admin, this seriously needs to be fixed, it's not the first time
I would use notepad for everything that takes more than 3 minutes to type.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:54 pm

Or you can simply copy it before you try posting it -just in case your post time expires.

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:47 pm

hahaha that's the annoying thing about it, i usually do copy it before i post... but after taking a break from posting for a bit, you forget the precautionary steps you normally take... and that's when you get screwed over :?

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:00 am

ckam wrote:
Galactic Groove wrote:i can't believe it, i just wrote about 2 hours of stuff about this, my session disconnected, and now everything i wrote is lost........ wonderful (i've left out swear words out of respect but it was hard) Admin, this seriously needs to be fixed, it's not the first time
I would use notepad for everything that takes more than 3 minutes to type.
GG, yeah, I never trust the browser alone for a long post! I generally copy/paste it anyway for spell checking and proof reading, though.

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 am

Martin wrote:Or you can simply copy it before you try posting it -just in case your post time expires.
being paranoid: what if the power goes off?

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:51 pm

:shock:

Then maybe you should use a pen (scratch that) PENCIL and paper for the rough draft, eh? :lol:

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:25 am

ckam wrote:
Martin wrote:Or you can simply copy it before you try posting it -just in case your post time expires.
being paranoid: what if the power goes off?
Get a battery back up system. That will give you some time to save your data.
Martin wrote:Then maybe you should use a pen (scratch that) PENCIL and paper for the rough draft, eh?
I hope it doesn't come to that... :shock:

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:56 pm

lol ok well maybe we should all have nuclear, solar, and wind power stations in our backyards. Triple redundancy should solve that :lol:

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:25 am

And make sure you have a primary AND secondary coffee machine! 8)

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:30 pm

DavidLeeds wrote:The credit for the APOD in question has a link to the SwapMeetDave website, but when I went into that site I was unsure what it has to do with the APOD. Did the Dave Ahl who runs the SwapMeetDave website take the image :?:
I posted that query on November 23rd and I still don't know, so I would be grateful if anybody could inform me why the SwapMeetDave website was credited in the APOD of November 22nd. That website is described as an 'On-Line Carnival & Flea Market'. I have had a look through some of the site and have not found anything to obviously link it to the APOD. Sorry for asking again but I am intrigued why SwapMeetDave is credited. Thanks for any help.
:)

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:16 pm

DavidLeeds,
Here is your "swap meet dave" link
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Trencher.htm

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:DavidLeeds,
Here is your "swap meet dave" link
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Trencher.htm
Thanks BMAONE23.
As the APOD image is in the SwapMeetDave website without any source being credited I assume that Dave Ahl must have taken the image. I always find it interesting to know a bit more about the APOD images.

kovil
Science Officer

Long Lost posts

Post by kovil » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:00 pm

I've lost a couple of posts too. Now I open a second browser on to the site to make sure I'm still logged in before clicking 'submit', if it has been over 15 minutes in writing the post. Or you can post it unfinished, and then click 'edit' and for 1/2 hour do edits or add to it without it saying I edited it. Once it's posted, you can keep editing and not lose the post.

**But still make sure you are logged in before submitting.**

Giant machinery is a trip just for what it is. The accomplishment of its creation is the exhilaration. How the designers got all the stresses and balance and forces correctly accounted for is the success. Now what it does, is entirely another matter.

Road & Track's comparison of the QEII and the Concorde was intriguing !
and their report on the Space Center's moving launch pad with the Saturn 5 on it ! 8 - 16 cylinder diesel engines ? @ 1.2 mph; i forget exactly.

It's the technology, Einstein ! LOL