What is Ö?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJ Emery
Ensign

What is Ö?

Post by RJ Emery » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Regarding neutrino detectors in Antarctica, in the following excerpt from http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.nl.html?id=1172:
"We're looking at as much of the ice as we can see at one time, which works out Ö to be about 10 to 15 percent of the whole continent. We're able to see neutrinos interact if they happen anywhere in our field of view - even out to the horizon. These neutrinos can collide a mile down in the ice and create a radio pulse that propagates up and is detected by our balloon 400 kilometers away."
What is Ö, and how is it pronounced?
RJ Emery

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:51 am

It's probably a typo in the APOD blurb; I don't think it's a symbol for a scientific quantity or anything like that.

In German at least, the character Ö has no direct pronunication equivalent in English. The closest, I believe, is the 'i' sound in 'sir' (the accent over the O is called an umlaut).
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

RJ Emery
Ensign

Post by RJ Emery » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:45 am

Qev wrote:It's probably a typo ...
It certainly turned out to be a typo, but not in APOD. I simply use this forum to inquire about any astronomical topic, not necessarily those in APOD itself.

I went back to the original neutrino detector article, and I found ellipses (...) in the Antarctica Sun post (see http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/2006-2007/ ... xtOnly.txt where the umlauted O appeared in the spaceref.com post.

I thought the Ö may have been some sort of scientific notation, albeit unfamiliar, perhaps similar to Big Oh notation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation).
RJ Emery

kovil
Science Officer

what's in a neutrino ?

Post by kovil » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 pm

"A pirouette that left the stage without the dancer ! "

In my Universe I see neutrinos as 1/2 unit of spin, and when they leave a nuclear event, they are not particles. They are a wave function.

In the idea of the Wheeler Feynman paper, "The Absorber as the Mechanism for Radiation", all Energy interactions are where waves collide and rise in amplitude and we see that energy rise as a particle. A neutrino is a wave function that has departed an intense wave interaction, and when it is finally absorbed somewhere, like in Antarctic ice, we will see a radio, or light pulse as an effect artifact.

Excellent article to link !!! thank You very much !!!

It will be interesting to see what is registered on the sensors.

It almost borders on religious zeal to do this kind of construction project !

The Easter Island inhabitants used up their environment to such an extent in their religious zeal, they couldn't sustain the population any more !