Gravity, a different perspective?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
frank519ca
Asternaut

Gravity, a different perspective?

Post by frank519ca » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I am new here, so...hello everyone!

Came across this, and thought I would share.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Re: Gravity, a different perspective?

Post by Nereid » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:41 pm

frank519ca wrote:I am new here, so...hello everyone!

Came across this, and thought I would share.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512
Well, I notice that they do not seem to have made any predictions, other than those available in GR, which could be tested, scientifically, so as this is a science-based discussion forum, I'm not sure there's anything to say.

For some insight into just how weak the scientific case is, for another of these 'alternative' perspectives, check this thread out.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:14 pm

But, it was very entertaining! "Secular gravity." Mwahaha!! :P

Of course, "The Onion" is a farse site anyway. Look at the leading story on the homepage:

Spaniards Vow To Once Again Decimate Population Of New World
MADRID—Seeking to reestablish Spain's global dominance after centuries of diminished empire, Spanish King Juan Carlos proclaimed yesterday his intention to unleash a mighty fighting force of conquistadores to reconquer, convert, enslave, and exploit the native populations of the Western Hemisphere.
Very silly indeed.

Or how about the politics section:
ST. LOUIS—An attempt to build international goodwill backfired horribly for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld Monday, when he was unable to pick up the tab for Australian Defense Minister Sen. Robert Hill's order of 11 Apache AH-64 helicopters using the U.S.'s credit card.