APOD 30 Oct 2006 - upside-down!

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
stolmo
Asternaut

APOD 30 Oct 2006 - upside-down!

Post by stolmo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 pm

The wonderful picture of Venus and the moon has to be upside-down.
According to the photographer, the picture was taken on 21 May 2006, some weeks before the Venus transit. Then, the picure shows Venus just after reapperance, not just before the occultation. I watched this event myself..
SM - Norway

Keldor314
Ensign

Post by Keldor314 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:25 am

Actually, there's no reason that the image is nessicarily upside down, as the orientation depends on the location of the viewer on the earth's surface.

Imagine that where you the event appears near your horizon. Now, imagine someone else standing on the other side of the planet, though far enough forward that the moon is above their horizon. Now, from your viewpoint, the guy on the other side of the world is nearly upside down reletive to you, so he would see it as upside down relative to you. Also, he'd see it on the opposite horizon - that is, one of you would see it on the east horizon, the other on the west.

You could also see it from any other angle - e.g. the guy standing on the north pole looking south sees it as rotated 90 degrees sideways from someone on the equator.

stolmo
Asternaut

Post by stolmo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 pm

Of course I know - but the picture was taken in Hungary...

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:12 am

Hello All

I'm from the land of ozzzzzzz.

Down under.

We always see things upside down.

But! what an image, fantastic.
Harry : Smile and live another day.