Composite Crab - why the death obsession? (APOD 26 Oct 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Composite Crab - why the death obsession? (APOD 26 Oct 2006)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:23 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061026.html
The intriguing Crab. Do you suppose that this nebula will eventually condense back into a star? Or will it gradually drift apart? Would the nebula pose danger to star systems that may be caught up by the expanding cloud? :?
Orin

Axel
Ensign

Why the death obsession?

Post by Axel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Today's APOD (2006/10/26) talks of the "death explosion" of the star which produced M1. Why all this lugubrious buzz about "death stars", etc., when bursting stars are the initial propagators of life in the universe? We are made of, or depend on, the oxygen, carbon, silicon, iron, and so forth that was cooked in the belly of a star and expelled in a glorious delivery, leaving a beautiful reminder like image we see today.

When I see a supernova remnant I am reminded of burst milkweed pods in a meadow. These are not death stars, they are hatching or foaling stars.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Sounds kind of like a "glass half full" "glass half emtpy" sort of an argument. :wink:

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 am

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

- Paul Simon -
Speculation ≠ Science

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 am

Dr. Skeptic wrote:One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

- Paul Simon -
For apartment/condominium dwellers anyway :lol:

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:49 am

The short answer is, most of the ejecta exceeds escape velocity of the neutron star, what doesn't initially escape will create an accretion disk and be fired of into space as polar jets or assimilated into the neutron star. In a few billion years the nebula will be sheered and dispersed by interstellar winds becoming parts of other stars but very unlikely to be reborn as one new star.
Speculation ≠ Science

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:58 pm

ahhhh the death wish, hidden in the background.

LOL

Norval :lol:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks; I wondered that; but also wondered if the gravitational pull of the neutron star might be enough to bring all that stellar gas and dust back toward itself. Do you suppose the debris may be fodder for the creation of comets and asteroids that just roam the galaxy until finally being captured by some other star? A lot of junk may be lurking between the stars. :roll:
Orin

Axel
Ensign

My question not answered

Post by Axel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Sure, we can look at it one way or another, the ceiling is a floor, etc. Craterchains, at least, mentions a certain "death wish" - but in media talk about supernovas the death wish isn't hidden, it's waved around like a flag. So why do we so readily attach our death-obsession to these magnificent life-giving phenomena?

When your children were born did you mourn the death of the placenta?

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:03 pm

The death is the current observation - here and now. The siring of daughter stars is not the event but future rewards. When we observe new star's births, we're not morning the sacrificial novae. Ying and Yang.
Speculation ≠ Science

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 pm

Naturally we fear what we do not understand as all animals do. The obsession comes not from the mention of its terminology but rather from its interpretation.

The roots of "the fear of death", as it means to us in our society today, is deeply embedded into the fundamentals of religion. The ultimate power of control is to reinforce a fear of death into the subject(s) and the punishment for non compliance.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:37 am

I'm thinking "supernovae .... burny burny hot hot.... " is probably a very rational perspective to take, being that we are a species which is somewhat intent on self preservation.

They're no good to us now, in other words :)

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Two threads on this APOD merged.

Axel
Ensign

Post by Axel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Nereid wrote:Two threads on this APOD merged.

Next time, please give the new thread subject header so we can follow it. (I found the last message above by reviewing my own posts, but the trail ends here.)

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:22 am

I don't really understand why these two threads were merged since they are two entirely different conversations...

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm

For those interested, this Chandra webpage has information on the location, image scale, distance to M1, etc.

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm

Axel wrote:
Nereid wrote:Two threads on this APOD merged.

Next time, please give the new thread subject header so we can follow it. (I found the last message above by reviewing my own posts, but the trail ends here.)
Happy to do so - what would you have suggested, re this merged thread?

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:57 pm

l3p3r wrote:I don't really understand why these two threads were merged since they are two entirely different conversations...
Good question! :)

This forum, including the Night Sky Live sections and the Asterisk Cafe, is undergoing a few changes ... you might have noticed a great deal less spam, for example (and all the old spam has now been removed ... I hope).

One of the changes is to return this, Discuss an APOD, section to what it was intended for - discussion of a particular APOD. Other (astronomy) discussions should be in the Café (you may have noticed that several threads with such discussions have already been moved).

If you'd like, I can split out the 'death' posts, into a separate thread, and move it to the Café.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:13 pm

mmm yes, ONLY discuss picture content of a particular APOD, , , ,

a bit OVER controling I think, but by far, much more SAFE.

Norval :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:01 pm

I sure have noticed Nereid! Huge improvement!

I suppose I am happy to have discussions merged in exchange for a clean and orderly messageboard :)