South Africa (SA) CONCAM status

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

South Africa (SA) CONCAM status

Post by RJN » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:12 pm

The South Africa (SA) CONCAM3 that supports the SALT telescope site in Sutherland, South Africa, has been off-line since 2004 May 28. There was a computer failure that might have been caused by heat. There was also a (different?) computer problem related to the hardware clock on the computer, which appeared not to work. Even with these problems the SA CONCAM can be brought up, we feel. However, there now appears to be a firewall problem inhibiting a secure connection.

We have a new computer that are willing to send to SA to replace their computer (which we would then fix), but we are reluctant to send it until a "sunset" switch is installed. The sunset switch would turn off the electronics during the hot daytime, so that we would not endanger another computer.

- RJN

David Andre Erasmus
Asternaut

Post by David Andre Erasmus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:04 am

:idea: CONCAM users may be interested to know about the availability of weather forecasts for the SAAO site in Sutherland which are now being made in operational mode. These forecasts have been developed for SALT. For more information please go to:
http://www.saao.ac.za/~saltmet/
where you will find the links to the forecast products.

Dan Cordell
Ensign

Post by Dan Cordell » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:54 pm

Do we have any estimated time yet for when the SA CONCAM will be functioning again?
Dan Cordell, Giant Space Cow

Vic Muzzin
Ensign

Post by Vic Muzzin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:28 am

The South Africa CONCAM seems to have resumed operation on 8/26/2004 at 20:42.

lior
Science Officer

Post by lior » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:42 pm

Vic Muzzin wrote:The South Africa CONCAM seems to have resumed operation on 8/26/2004 at 20:42.
Right. But it is still not in a steady state. It will take a while until the sunset switch is installed. The sunset switch is the only effective protection against the extreme heat of the desert.

clifford
Asternaut

SA Concam

Post by clifford » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:01 am

SA COncam has been in operation for at least week without fail after the sunset switch has been installed. We also improved the shielding against the hot sun of the karoo desert . We have used a 3mm aliminium plate to cover the box in the direction of the SUN. But this seems to baffle lens from seeing more sky because of the aliminum shielding on the way ( Image seems smaller than previous images). The technicians will rectify this in future by lowering the aliminum cover to be at the same height as the lens.

lior
Science Officer

Post by lior » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:25 pm

I didn't realize that the sunset switch is already installed. That is excellent.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:53 pm

Update: The SA team reports that the computer has failed. We have two replacement computers here at MTU but both have bad power supplies. The power supplies were ordered a while ago and should have come in by now. But they have not.

I have been calling CyberRearch every day trying to get the sales manager to call me back. I spoke with him two weeks ago and he said that he is checking on it and that he expects to send us two free power supplies in the next few days. But they are not here, and now he won't return my calls. When we speak he sounds so up-front and earnest!

The latest is that he is out of the office and due back tomorrow, 2004 Sep 28. I will keep trying him. By Wednesday if I have still had no success we may have to go a different route to get a working computer to send to SA. We here at NSL central apologize for the delay.

- RJN

Vic Muzzin
Ensign

Post by Vic Muzzin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:04 pm

The SA Concam has been returning "fuzzy" images for some time now, we have contacted SA personnel and await a response regarding what may be the trouble.

Noctuas_Universe
Ensign

SA Concam

Post by Noctuas_Universe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:57 am

I just checked the SA Concam and it has a weird noisey image from 2004/9/15 displayed now, and some rise set times from 2004 as well at the bottom of the page.

They may be working on it and the image may be fixed by the time you read this but I thought I would post the info anyway.
Best Regards
Herb Goodman KF4TVI

Noctuas_Universe
Ensign

SA Status: Offline

Post by Noctuas_Universe » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:27 am

SA Concam is still down. Last image was taken on March 1, 2005, currently displaying the image from 2004.
Best Regards
Herb Goodman KF4TVI

Vic Muzzin
Ensign

Post by Vic Muzzin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:44 pm

The SA Concam has had its lens repaired and will return to operation soon (tonight perhaps).

astro_dave
Asternaut

SALT / Sutherland CONCAM offline since 19/03/06

Post by astro_dave » Wed May 03, 2006 3:24 am

Hi,

The CONCAM at Sutherland took its last picture on 19/03/06. Does anybody know its current state, and if there is an expected return to operation date?

I was hoping to use the images to callibrate a cloud detector.

Thanks,

Dave