What to look for tonight...

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Windstorm
Asternaut

What to look for tonight...

Post by Windstorm » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:10 pm

What's in the sky tonight? Planets, metior showers, shuttle launches, aruora... Let us know :D

Windstorm
Asternaut

Saturn 2/10/05

Post by Windstorm » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:21 pm

2/10/05

Saturn is in Gemini right now. You can see the rings even with a small telescope. :shock:

If anyone has been able to see the orion nebula I'd love to know when and what the conditions were. I've heard it can be seen with the naked eye if the sky is dark enough

You can get a printable starmap (if you set it to black on white) specific to your location, and any time at... <http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Yoursky>

Xorg_the_Vapid
Asternaut

Post by Xorg_the_Vapid » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:57 pm

I've frequently seen the Orion nebula with the unaided eye. While it is a truly spectacular nebula, it's a little anti-climatic with just your eyes alone, a faint smudge. Fortunately, I live in a remote area and on moonless nights, it is *very* dark, and on cold, cloudless winter nights there can be excellent seeing conditions.

--XTV
Cheers,
Xorg

(Go 'Boro!!!!)

deborah
Ensign

Tonight's sky

Post by deborah » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:28 pm

I live in a relatively light polluted area and can still see the Orion nebula with the naked eye. I really love to view it through my binoculars though. I just saw M41 through the binoculars for the first time the other night. Wow! My heart was pounding! I'm such a novice, I really get excited!
Deborah

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:23 am

Windstorm I completely gotta agree with you.

SydneyStarObserver
Asternaut

A Sydney newbie...

Post by SydneyStarObserver » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:19 pm

:D

Hi, Im here In Sydney, Australia, and Im just starting out with this... are there any people here from Australia? or any others with some advice on what to look out for from this side of the planet? :lol:

regards
Gareth
Live in central Sydney, Australia. Amateur astronomer. I studied at Uni' and stuff. :)
Doing my best to prove, as eighteenth century European scientists and philosophers believed, that art and science can be the same thing :)
Regards
Gareth

Beorn
Asternaut

Re: A Sydney newbie...

Post by Beorn » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:26 pm

SydneyStarObserver wrote::D

Hi, Im here In Sydney, Australia, and Im just starting out with this... are there any people here from Australia? or any others with some advice on what to look out for from this side of the planet? :lol:

regards
Gareth
I'm not from Australia but here is a great place to start if you want to check out what you can see from anywhere in the world:

http://heavens-above.com/

In fact here is a direct link to your location at heavens-above:

http://heavens-above.com/main.asp?Loc=S ... =1&TZ=AEST

Enjoy! :D