APOD: Find the Man in the Moon (2024 Sep 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Find the Man in the Moon (2024 Sep 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:06 am

Image Find the Man in the Moon

Explanation: Have you ever seen the Man in the Moon? This common question plays on the ability of humans to see pareidolia -- imagining familiar icons where they don't actually exist. The textured surface of Earth's full Moon is home to numerous identifications of iconic objects, not only in modern western culture but in world folklore throughout history. Examples, typically dependent on the Moon's perceived orientation, include the Woman in the Moon and the Rabbit in the Moon. One facial outline commonly identified as the Man in the Moon starts by imagining the two dark circular areas -- lunar maria -- here just above the Moon's center, to be the eyes. Surprisingly, there actually is a man in this Moon image -- a close look will reveal a real person -- with a telescope -- silhouetted against the Moon. This well-planned image was taken in 2016 in Cadalso de los Vidrios in Madrid, Spain.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Find the Man in the Moon (2024 Sep 15)

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:17 am

The Lady in the Moon is so much more obvious!

APOD 15 September 2024.png
APOD 15 September 2024 annotated.png

Ann
Color Commentator

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:58 pm

Come on here! The text does not state clearly that this image of the moon has been digitally manipulated to accentuate the point being made! It comes across as dishonest! Please!

Ooop! Sorry, I failed to see that this is a "roll-on-roll off" (RORO) image showing different images depending on whether the cursor is on the image or not. Will all viewers have access to the RORO feature?
Last edited by smitty on Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:06 pm

smitty wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:58 pm Come on here! The text does not state clearly that this image of the moon has been digitally manipulated to accentuate the point being made! It comes across as dishonest! Please!
What manipulation? It looks like a very natural lunar image to me.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:08 pm

Ooop! Sorry, I failed to see that this is a "roll-on-roll off" (RORO) image showing different images depending on whether the cursor is on the image or not. Will all viewers have access to the RORO feature?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:18 pm

smitty wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:08 pm Ooop! Sorry, I failed to see that this is a "roll-on-roll off" (RORO) image showing different images depending on whether the cursor is on the image or not. Will all viewers have access to the RORO feature?
I'm not sure if that works on touchscreen devices. Hover operations generally don't unless very deliberate and careful workarounds are provided.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:15 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:18 pm
smitty wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:08 pm Ooop! Sorry, I failed to see that this is a "roll-on-roll off" (RORO) image showing different images depending on whether the cursor is on the image or not. Will all viewers have access to the RORO feature?
I'm not sure if that works on touchscreen devices. Hover operations generally don't unless very deliberate and careful workarounds are provided.
On my iPad anyway, if I long press the image, the hover-over image shows up. Ditto for my Android phone.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:26 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:15 pm
On my iPad anyway, if I long press the image, the hover-over image shows up. Ditto for my Android phone.
I don't on my Android phone. Just a context menu. Which is what I'd expect unless some very specific coding on the website isn't done.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:26 pm

I don't on my Android phone. Just a context menu. Which is what I'd expect unless some very specific coding on the website isn't done.
Odd. It only works if you long press on the image on the page with the text. Not if you click the image first, which makes sense. I see the same behavior with both Chrome and Vivaldi: first the hover-over image appears, then the context menu. If I then click off it, I see just the hover-over image. I'm running Android 14.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:49 am

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:47 pm

Odd. It only works if you long press on the image on the page with the text. Not if you click the image first, which makes sense. I see the same behavior with both Chrome and Vivaldi: first the hover-over image appears, then the context menu. If I then click off it, I see just the hover-over image. I'm running Android 14.
Actually, looking more closely, when I long press, a fraction of second before the context menu comes up I get the hover image, and then if I close the context menu the hover image is what's seen on the page. I have to refresh the page to get back the primary image. Also Android 14.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:49 am
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:47 pm
Actually, looking more closely, when I long press, a fraction of second before the context menu comes up I get the hover image, and then if I close the context menu the hover image is what's seen on the page. I have to refresh the page to get back the primary image. Also Android 14.
✔️
--

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:26 pm

I remember when, at 10, found out that my classmates did not see the face in the moon that I had thought was evident to everybody and I could not refer to the eye at right to explain a landing site.
Now I think that my eyesight was somewhat poor and it mattered.
The face I recognize now as my old recognition is this:
man in the moon face.jpg
man in the moon face.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
man in the moon face -.jpg
man in the moon face -.jpg (13.98 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2

belka

Post by belka » Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:39 pm

Due to my obsession with astronomy picture of the day, this picture, 'Find the man in the moon", was also posted in 2016 on Feb 1st

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:28 pm

The Man in the Moon got a bit of a haircut last night!
_
E7_49069_Enhanced_NR_RGB_VNG.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:28 pm The Man in the Moon got a bit of a haircut last night!
_
E7_49069_Enhanced_NR_RGB_VNG.jpg
And why was that? [ EDIT: never mind - I see there was a partial lunar eclipse last night. I don't keep up with daily astronomy sky watching news, I'm afraid. ]
--