APOD: Fresh Tiger Stripes on Saturn's... (2024 Aug 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Fresh Tiger Stripes on Saturn's... (2024 Aug 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:07 am

Image Fresh Tiger Stripes on Saturn's Enceladus

Explanation: Do underground oceans vent through canyons on Saturn's moon Enceladus? Long features dubbed tiger stripes are known to be spewing ice from the moon's icy interior into space, creating a cloud of fine ice particles over the moon's South Pole and creating Saturn's mysterious E-ring. Evidence for this has come from the robot Cassini spacecraft that orbited Saturn from 2004 to 2017. Pictured here, a high resolution image of Enceladus is shown from a close flyby. The unusual surface features dubbed tiger stripes are visible in false-color blue. Why Enceladus is active remains a mystery, as the neighboring moon Mimas, approximately the same size, appears quite dead. An analysis of ejected ice grains has yielded evidence that complex organic molecules exist inside Enceladus. These large carbon-rich molecules bolster -- but do not prove -- that oceans under Enceladus' surface could contain life.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

zendae
Ensign

Re: APOD: Fresh Tiger Stripes on Saturn's... (2024 Aug 25)

Post by zendae » Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:28 am

The tiger stripes at the bottom look like river deltas, but there is no sea to form them. On Earth, deltas are very rich and biodiverse. These structures on Enceladus seem like interesting places to explore.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:11 am

The activity of Enceladus is astounding, for such a tiny Moon!

Enceladus is about the size of Great Britain, and it could fit comfortably inside the Gulf of Mexico:

Enceladus is astoundingly active:

NASA Science wrote about the picture of Enceladus' interior:

Left: The interior of Saturn’s moon Enceladus. The icy crust is thinner in the polar regions, below which sits an ocean. Water percolating into the porous, rocky core is warmed by contact with rock in the tidally heated interior. The heated water enters the ocean at hydrothermal vents located beneath the poles. Complex organics and rocky particles are carried by the hydrothermal flow. Gas bubbles rising through the ocean collect organic material at their surface and transport them upward to the ice shell.

Center: The oceanic water table lies inside cracks in the south polar ice crust. Bubbles of gas help bring organic material to the ocean surface, where it creates a thin film in the icy vents.

Right: When the bubbles burst at the surface they disperse some of the organics, along with a spray of salty ocean water. Droplets of the dispersed organic material become ice-coated when water vapor freezes on their surface and, along with the frozen spray of salty ocean water, are ejected in the plumes and then detected by Cassini.

Note that the insets at center and right are rotated 180º with respect to the global view at left.

The plumes of Enceladus form a ring around Saturn, the E ring, the outermost ring:

Could there be life inside Enceladus? Well, maybe possibly maybe:

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

JimB
Ensign

Post by JimB » Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:41 am

As Enceladus is spewing out water containing organics, shouldn't those surface features be a sort of mucky brown colour?

Roger Venable

Post by Roger Venable » Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:07 pm

One of the very interesting things about Encheladus is the crisp demarkation between the "old" surface that contains lots of craters and the "young" surface that has none. The tiger stripes are all in the young surface, of course. Is the internal ocean covering only the southern part of the moon?

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:36 pm

JimB wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:41 am As Enceladus is spewing out water containing organics, shouldn't those surface features be a sort of mucky brown colour?
Like Sagan's "tholins" (from Gk ϴὸλος, muddy; but also ϴoλòς, vault or dome), I suppose. But how and why their color might vary depending on particular composition and environment, I have no idea. See https://www.planetary.org/articles/0722 ... re-tholins
Although informative, the definition given in the Nature article is not particularly easy to repeat when people ask, “what is tholin?” I have been studying tholin for almost a decade and in my experience the most frequently used synonyms for tholin are “gunk”, “brown gunk”, and “complex organic gunk”. Tholin is also often described as a “tar-like” substance. Words like tar, kerogen, bitumen, petroleum, asphalt, etc. all describe substances that are potentially similar to tholin in some ways. However, these materials all result from life; they are “biotic”.

Since 1979, the definition of tholin has expanded and now often includes organic solids produced from irradiation of cosmically abundant ices (rather than gases), and tholin experiments now routinely include other gases like N2, CO2, or CO. So what do scientists mean whey they say tholin? In general, we mean an abiotic complex organic solid that formed by chemistry from energy input into simple, cosmically relevant gases or solids. Shorter still, “abiotic complex organic gunk” works for me. You can see, perhaps, why Sagan and Khare felt the need to make up a word to capture this idea.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:25 pm

JimB wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:41 am As Enceladus is spewing out water containing organics, shouldn't those surface features be a sort of mucky brown colour?
As for the color of Enceladus, this is the best I can do:

https://stereomoons.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... moons.html

In other words, Enceladus appears to be greenish, possibly because of the organics it's spewing out.

Ann
Color Commentator

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:23 pm

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:54 am

Thank you so much, as always, for your pictures, Jac! The one where the E ring and its overall structures are seen in blue is particularly lovely, not just for its colors, but of course, also for its colors... 💙

And I very much like the comparison of the sizes of Saturn, Earth, the Moon and Enceladus! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:03 pm

Has anyone put together a time lapse of the tiger stripes to see how much they’re changing over the decades we’ve been observing them? The angles and resolutions would vary greatly, but I’m betting some software could blend it together.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Guest wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:03 pm Has anyone put together a time lapse of the tiger stripes to see how much they’re changing over the decades we’ve been observing them? The angles and resolutions would vary greatly, but I’m betting some software could blend it together.
We only have a few years of high resolution imagery available, around 2005-2017, and I think most of that is at the beginning and end of that period.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com