APOD: A Solar Prominence Eruption from SDO (2024 Aug 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Solar Prominence Eruption from SDO (2024 Aug 18)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:05 am

Image A Solar Prominence Eruption from SDO

Explanation: One of the most spectacular solar sights is an erupting prominence. In 2011, NASA's Sun-orbiting Solar Dynamic Observatory spacecraft imaged an impressively large prominence erupting from the surface. The dramatic explosion was captured in ultraviolet light in the featured time lapse video covering 90 minutes, where a new frame was taken every 24 seconds. The scale of the prominence is huge -- the entire Earth would easily fit under the flowing curtain of hot gas. A solar prominence is channeled and sometimes held above the Sun's surface by the Sun's magnetic field. A quiescent prominence typically lasts about a month and may erupt in a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) expelling hot gas into the Solar System. The energy mechanism that creates a solar prominence is a continuing topic of research. Our Sun is again near solar maximum and so very active, featuring numerous erupting prominences and CMEs, one of which resulted in picturesque auroras just over the past week.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: A Solar Prominence Eruption from SDO (2024 Aug 18)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:49 pm

A quiescent prominence typically lasts about a month and may erupt in a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)
Why the adjective "quiescent"? I assume not all prominences result in a CME, right? Do non-"quiescent" prominences end in CMEs more or less often than "quiescent" ones? And, what even does "quiescent" mean here? One in a less active state after beginning in a more active state?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:08 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:49 pm
A quiescent prominence typically lasts about a month and may erupt in a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)
Why the adjective "quiescent"? I assume not all prominences result in a CME, right? Do non-"quiescent" prominences end in CMEs more or less often than "quiescent" ones? And, what even does "quiescent" mean here? One in a less active state after beginning in a more active state?
"Quiescent" in this context is just the label used for prominences that are stable for days or weeks, rather than the time scale of hours with "active" prominences. Quiescent prominences may or may not evolve to active ones that can produce eruptions.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:08 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:49 pm
"Quiescent" in this context is just the label used for prominences that are stable for days or weeks, rather than the time scale of hours with "active" prominences. Quiescent prominences may or may not evolve to active ones that can produce eruptions.
Ah, thanks. And I supposed active, shorter lived prominences can also produce CMEs (or not) just as often (or not) as quiescent ones?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}