APOD: Anticrepuscular Rays at the Planet... (2024 Jul 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Anticrepuscular Rays at the Planet... (2024 Jul 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:05 am

Image Anticrepuscular Rays at the Planet Festival

Explanation: For some, these subtle bands of light and shadow stretched across the sky as the Sun set on July 11. Known as anticrepuscular rays, the bands are formed as a large cloud bank near the western horizon cast long shadows through the atmosphere at sunset. Due to the camera's perspective, the bands of light and shadow seem to converge toward the eastern (opposite) horizon at a point seen just above a 14th century hilltop castle near Brno, Czech Republic. In the foreground, denizens of planet Earth are enjoying the region's annual Planet Festival in the park below the Brno Observatory and Planetarium. And while crepuscular and anticrepuscular rays are a relatively common atmospheric phenomenon, this festival's 10 meter diameter inflatable spheres representing bodies of the Solar System are less often seen on planet Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Anticrepuscular Rays at the Planet... (2024 Jul 19)

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:57 am

APOD Robot wrote:

In the foreground, denizens of planet Earth are enjoying the region's annual Planet Festival in the park below the Brno Observatory and Planetarium.

So, the observatory, is that the building on top of that wooded hill at right, right below where the anticrepuscular rays appear to converge?

Anyway. Brno. I don't know about you, but I was bored with geography at school, and if we were ever told about Brno, I most definitely didn't pay attention. So I needed a map to know where the motif of today's APOD is located. Here it is (and I'm sorry that all the names are in Swedish):

Brno location.png

Okay. Brno is in the Czech Republic (and "Prag" is Prague). As for the other names, let's go from left to right to translate. "Storbritannien" is Great Britain. "Frankrike" is France. "Belgien" is Belgium. "Nederländerna" is the Netherlands. "Schweiz" is Switzerland. "Tyskland" is Germany (and "München" is Munich). "Italien" (you can barely read it) is Italy. "Venedig" is Venice. "Österrike" is Austria (and "Wien" is Vienna). "Kroatien" is Croatia. Budapest is located in Hungary. "Polen" is Poland (and "Warszawa" is Warsaw). "Serbien" is Serbia. "Litauen" is Lithuania. "Rumänien" is Romania. "Moldavien" is Moldavia and "Ukraina" is Ukraine (and "Kiev" is at least sometimes known as Kyiv in English).

Okay, now we know where we are on the Earth! But when I looked at that "Astrosphere" of the night sky, I sure don't know where I am in the sky! Can you recognize any of the nebulas?

APOD 19 July 2024 detail.png

Okay! That red arc at lower right with some red stuff inside it and a red blob to the upper right of it is undoubtedly Barnard's Loop and Orion. And the other red stuff still higher above Orion is undoubtedly the Rosette Nebula and the Cone Nebula/Christmas Tree Cluster complex.

And the large red "fishhook" at left? That's the Gum Nebula in Vela and Puppis!

33329143154_a63d0832de_b[1].jpg
The Gum Nebula. Credit: Alan Dyer.

So, yes, I guess that was a nice festival. If I had been there I would have walked round that Astrosphere and tried my very best to identify the nebulas to the extent that I might have forgotten about the festival! :ssmile: :wink:

People would have to tear me away from the Astrosphere to make me look at the anticrepuscular rays, I suppose.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:46 pm

And here's another nice pick of the side of the "Astrophere" - from https://www.instagram.com/p/C9NY0tUMGrz/

Some more nice shots of "Astrophere" and the other spheres can be found here:

https://www.festivalplanetbrno.cz/nase-modely/
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

illexsquid
Ensign

Post by illexsquid » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Wow! That Astrosphere is really well done! Thanks for the additional info. I was wondering what planet the black sphere with the red spots was supposed to represent! :lol2: