APOD: JADES-GS-z14-0: A New Farthest Object (2024 Jun 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: JADES-GS-z14-0: A New Farthest Object (2024 Jun 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:05 am

Image JADES-GS-z14-0: A New Farthest Object

Explanation: What if we could see back to the beginning of the universe? We could see galaxies forming. But what did galaxies look like back then? These questions took a step forward recently with the release of the analysis of a James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) image that included the most distant object yet discovered. Most galaxies formed at about 3 billion years after the Big Bang, but some formed earlier. Pictured in the inset box is JADES-GS-z14-0, a faint smudge of a galaxy that formed only 300 million years after the universe started. In technical terms, this galaxy lies at the record redshift of z=14.32, and so existed when the universe was only one fiftieth of the its present age. Practically all of the objects in the featured photograph are galaxies.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: JADES-GS-z14-0: A New Farthest Object (2024 Jun 24)

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:06 am

JADES-GS-z14-0 appears to be photobombed by a galaxy colleague:

JADES-GS-z14-0 (that name sure rolls off the tongue) appears to be partly hidden behind a foreground galaxy. In the nearby universe, non-interacting overlapping galaxies are rare, but they happen:

So what did galaxies look like back in the cosmic dawn? The picture of JADES-GS-z14-0 doesn't give us much of a clue. But according to NASA, primordial galaxies often looked like pool noodles and surfboards.

NASA wrote:

While most distant galaxies look like surfboards and pool noodles, others are shaped like frisbees and volleyballs.

Ann
Color Commentator

alex555

Post by alex555 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:25 am

This is a truly extraordinary image.

Karthik
Ensign

Post by Karthik » Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:42 am

While scrolling through the zoomable image I came across these :

A small galaxy seeming to dive into a larger one!
jades4_g1.png
jades4_g1.png (82.39 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
A disturbed (shell?) galaxy. Perhaps interacting with the nearly edge-on one seen behind.
jades4_g2.png
jades4_g2.png (153.3 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
Edge-on but with tidail-tail like features above and below.
jades4_g8.png
jades4_g8.png (86.67 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
Thanks

Christian G.
Science Officer

Post by Christian G. » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:38 pm

Telescopes as time machines is a familiar idea but we should never lose sight of how extraordinary this is! Imagine if palaeontologists could study actual pictures of dinosaurs! Or if historians could see pictures of Cleopatra, or geologists seeing pictures of the Late Heavy Bombardment! What’s more, imagine if they all saw, in the same picture, Cleopatra next to a brontosaurus against a background of comets and asteroids crashing everywhere! Such is the incredible feat of deep field images...

Holger Nielsen
Ensign

Post by Holger Nielsen » Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:43 pm

Some parts of the name puzzle me. "JADES" is an acronym for "JWST Advanced Deep Extragalactic Survey". But what dose "GS" mean? And with a redshift of z = 14.32 why the "0" in "z14-0"? The previous record holder, JADES-GS-z13-0, has a redshift of 13.2, but also a "0" in the name.

I have searched Wikipedia, Scientific American and the JADES homepage without finding an explanation.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:02 pm

Holger Nielsen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:43 pm Some parts of the name puzzle me. "JADES" is an acronym for "JWST Advanced Deep Extragalactic Survey". But what dose "GS" mean? And with a redshift of z = 14.32 why the "0" in "z14-0"? The previous record holder, JADES-GS-z13-0, has a redshift of 13.2, but also a "0" in the name.

I have searched Wikipedia, Scientific American and the JADES homepage without finding an explanation.
The nomenclature description given by Vizier is: [RTJ2023] JADES-GS-z1N-0. The interpretation is that "JADES" is deprecated and "RTJ2023" is the preferred catalog name to use, "G" means "galaxy", "S" means southern sky, "z1N" is the redshift, which is always greater than 10, and the name is always terminated with "-0" for reasons not stated.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Christian G. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:38 pm Telescopes as time machines is a familiar idea but we should never lose sight of how extraordinary this is! Imagine if palaeontologists could study actual pictures of dinosaurs! Or if historians could see pictures of Cleopatra, or geologists seeing pictures of the Late Heavy Bombardment! What’s more, imagine if they all saw, in the same picture, Cleopatra next to a brontosaurus against a background of comets and asteroids crashing everywhere! Such is the incredible feat of deep field images...
Nicely stated.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:12 pm

Christian G. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:38 pm Telescopes as time machines is a familiar idea but we should never lose sight of how extraordinary this is! Imagine if palaeontologists could study actual pictures of dinosaurs! Or if historians could see pictures of Cleopatra, or geologists seeing pictures of the Late Heavy Bombardment! What’s more, imagine if they all saw, in the same picture, Cleopatra next to a brontosaurus against a background of comets and asteroids crashing everywhere! Such is the incredible feat of deep field images...
That would be marvelous indeed.

The reason that we can't see Cleopatra co-existing with Brontosaurus is that we would have to actually observe multiple images of Earth from different eras (possibly partly superimposed on one another) in order to see such a miraculous scenario.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:47 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:12 pm
That would be marvelous indeed.

The reason that we can't see Cleopatra co-existing with Brontosaurus is that we would have to actually observe multiple images of Earth from different eras (possibly partly superimposed on one another) in order to see such a miraculous scenario.

Ann
True. But if the observations (from a far away galaxy in the far future) were subject to gravitational lensing that resulted in multiple images whose photons travelled fortuitously different length paths... 😊
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 am

0.jpg
Perusing around today's APOD is something.
Does anyone know what this is? I assumed a star rather than a galaxy, but are the blue areas anything other than light tricks from Webb's camera?

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:43 pm

zendae wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 am 0.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? I assumed a star rather than a galaxy, but are the blue areas anything other than light tricks from Webb's camera?
I'd guess a star, but in extremely narrow field images such as this, there usually aren't any stars from what I've seen (Chris will prove me wrong no doubt). Yet, I count over half a dozen objects similar to the one in your extreme close-up. Here are three of them:

foreground stars in JADES-GS-z14-0.jpg
Last edited by johnnydeep on Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:08 pm

zendae wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 am 0.jpg

A bright (by JWST standards) star, almost certainly. And all the structure around it looks to be diffraction artifacts (and the 6-fold symmetry is very strong evidence of this with JWST).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com