Hubble Deep Field 35 years ago vs today

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Psnarf
Science Officer

Hubble Deep Field 35 years ago vs today

Post by Psnarf » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:57 pm

If Hubble made the same observation of the Deep Field horizon today, would a new image reveal galaxies that were not yet visible thirty five years ago? Is 35 light years a reasonable distance between the most distant galaxies of the original image?
-(signed) Congenitally Clueless

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Hubble Deep Field 35 years ago vs today

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Psnarf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:57 pm If Hubble made the same observation of the Deep Field horizon today, would a new image reveal galaxies that were not yet visible thirty five years ago? Is 35 light years a reasonable distance between the most distant galaxies of the original image?
-(signed) Congenitally Clueless
In cosmological terms, nothing changes in 35 years. 35 light years is the distance between nearby stars inside of single galaxies. (And why would more galaxies become visible over time? Everything is getting further apart, not closer together.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:38 pm

>...Everything is getting further apart, not closer together

If that is indeed the case, then there should be fewer galaxies visible in the same region. I'm just impatient, I hate waiting millions of years for the most distant observable galaxies to either vanish or new ones to appear in a falsifiable experiment.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:52 pm

Psnarf wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:38 pm >...Everything is getting further apart, not closer together

If that is indeed the case, then there should be fewer galaxies visible in the same region. I'm just impatient, I hate waiting millions of years for the most distant observable galaxies to either vanish or new ones to appear in a falsifiable experiment.
Millions of years isn't enough. You want to see a real change, it's billions of years. And within the region of galaxy clusters, things aren't even getting farther apart.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com