APOD: Prominences and Filaments on the Sun... (2024 Jun 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Prominences and Filaments on the Sun... (2024 Jun 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:07 am

Image Prominences and Filaments on the Active Sun

Explanation: This colorized and sharpened image of the Sun is composed of frames recording emission from hydrogen atoms in the solar chromosphere on May 15. Approaching the maximum of solar cycle 25, a multitude of active regions and twisting, snake-like solar filaments are seen to sprawl across the surface of the active Sun. Suspend in the active regions' strong magnetic fields, the filaments of plasma lofted above the Sun's edge appear as bright solar prominences. The large prominences seen near 4 o'clock, and just before 9 o'clock around the solar limb are post flare loops from two powerful X-class solar flares that both occurred on that day. In fact, the 4 o'clock prominence is associated with the monster active region AR 3664 just rotating off the Sun's edge.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: Prominences and Filaments on the Sun... (2024 Jun 15)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:13 pm

I suppose this is pointing out the obvious, but although all the prominences we see in this image are on or very near the planar edge of the Sun we happen to be seeing here, the entire surface of the Sun must in fact be studded with prominences, much like looped carpet piling on a shag rug.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:19 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:13 pm I suppose this is pointing out the obvious, but although all the prominences we see in this image are on or very near the planar edge of the Sun we happen to be seeing here, the entire surface of the Sun must in fact be studded with prominences, much like looped carpet piling on a shag rug.
Perhaps made all the more obvious by the realization that we have eyes on the Sun from multiple angles by various space-based probes, and they all see prominences around the edges. Their edges.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:19 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:13 pm I suppose this is pointing out the obvious, but although all the prominences we see in this image are on or very near the planar edge of the Sun we happen to be seeing here, the entire surface of the Sun must in fact be studded with prominences, much like looped carpet piling on a shag rug.
Perhaps made all the more obvious by the realization that we have eyes on the Sun from multiple angles by various space-based probes, and they all see prominences around the edges. Their edges.
Yup!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

florid_snow
Ensign

Post by florid_snow » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:21 am

"a multitude of planet-dwarfing active regions"

Since dwarf planets are dwarfed by planets, by the transitive property, these planet-dwarfing regions must be dwarf-planet-dwarfing!