APOD: Stairway to the Milky Way (2024 May 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Stairway to the Milky Way (2024 May 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed May 29, 2024 4:05 am

Image Stairway to the Milky Way

Explanation: What happens if you ascend this stairway to the Milky Way? Before answering that, let's understand the beautiful sky you will see. Most eye-catching is the grand arch of the Milky Way Galaxy, the band that is the central disk of our galaxy which is straight but distorted by the wide-angle nature of this composite image. Many stars well in front of the Milk Way will be visible, with the bright white star just below the stellar arch being Altair, and the bright blue star above it being Vega. The air glows green on the left, just above the yellow cloud deck. The featured image was taken last month on Portugal's Madeira Island in the North Atlantic Ocean. Oh, and what happens after you reach the top of these stairs and admire the amazing sky is, quite probably, that you then descend down the stairs on the other side.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Stairway to the Milky Way (2024 May 29)

Post by Ann » Wed May 29, 2024 5:48 am

Yes, that's a nice Milky Way image (with stairs)! :D

Me being me, I obviously love the blue zing of bright star Vega at top! 💙

But I'd also like to call your attention to the reddish patch of nebulosity around Deneb:

APOD 29 May 2024 annotated.png

I believe that this reddish patch is the northern bar-end enhancement of the Milky Way. So what's a galactic bar-end enhancement? It's the part of a barred spiral galaxy where the bar meets the spiral arm. This particular part of a barred spiral often displays enhanced levels of star formation, like this:

Bar and bar end enhancement NGC 6217 NASA ESA.png
NGC 6217 with bar and bar-end enhancement.
Credit: NASA/ESA/Hubble.

Astronomer and astrophotographer David Malin told me once, in private conversation, that there are two parts along the band of the Milky Way where the bar meets the spiral arms, and these two sites display enhanced star formation. One of these sites is in Cygnus near Deneb and Sadr. The other one is in Carina.

Or perhaps it is NGC 3603 (and maybe NGC 3576) that are the bar-end enhancements of the southern Milky Way? Well, we are still in Carina.

And when the galactic evolution has run its course, and star formation has long since come to an end, the bar-end enhancements may still be visible.

Ann
Color Commentator

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed May 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Is the object under the letters "Air Glow" Andromeda?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 29, 2024 3:04 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:19 pm Is the object under the letters "Air Glow" Andromeda?
Yes, it looks like that! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

desertengineer2

Post by desertengineer2 » Wed May 29, 2024 3:28 pm

Wow! I remember walking this EXACT bridge back in my days of exploring this beautiful island.

The weather is unpredictable in the Azores, but sometimes when the sky IS clear, it is REALLY clear! I remember walking out at 1 AM and watching the Perseids for about an hour that the sky had parted. At the time, they turned lights off at night to conserve electricity, so the sky was one of the darkest in the world, when clear.

desertengineer2

Post by desertengineer2 » Wed May 29, 2024 4:20 pm

So, this is a trail that takes you up to an overlook of both the island and a peak on the side of the old remnants of the shield volcano. The whole island is actually just a collection of BIG volcanic cones. From the top, on a clear day, you get an amazing view of a partially collapsed cinder cone of the highest peak, plus a majestic view of the island. ON A CLEAR DAY. Most of the time, the 45 minute drive up, climbing about 6000 ft, starts clear, but turns into cold rain and fog. I remember being there one summer and freezing in wet rain when we got to the top. Because the Atlantic air is humid, it almost always gets foggy and rainy when lifted up the mountain. But the park is still really beautiful to visit.

There are also MANY other sites to see there. From amazing beaches of jagged rock to heavenly fields of cows, ancient rock walls, and cows. The food is the best I've ever had. The festivals in August are really fun to see in Funchal, which I think is the city lights under the cloud deck. Amazing cathedral. You will never get a better coffee than here.

I know the island has really grown in the last ten years, and may have become a bit more "touristy", but is still worth a trip. Being a 4-hour flight from the US, this is pretty much the closest to "old Europe" you will find. Late Spring to Late Summer is pretty much the only window you'll get to visit, as when winter comes, it's nothing but howling wind and cold rain for most of the cold season. Still, go see it if you get a chance. LOTS of history. LOTS of small vineyards with AMAZING wines they DO NOT export, so what you mail home and bring back is all you are going to get. Oh, did I mention the food? :)

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed May 29, 2024 5:58 pm

Ann wrote:Or perhaps it is NGC 3603 (and maybe NGC 3576) that are the bar-end enhancements of the southern Milky Way? Well, we are still in Carina.
Do the distances (from Wikipedia) to NGC 3603 (20,000 ly) and NGC 3576 (9,000 ly) jibe with either or both of them being physically in the "bar-end"?

EDIT: I suppose so, based on this map of the Milky Way, where the circular lines are 5,000 ly wide. But maybe they're not in the SAME bar-end!

Bystander's replacement link:
https://science.nasa.gov/wp-content/upl ... ormat=webp

*** EDIT: About the edit from bystander about my hot-linking to a large image. I thought I linked to the one below, which is only 895 kb in size. Do the dimensions matter too?

https://science.nasa.gov/wp-content/upl ... ormat=webp
Last edited by johnnydeep on Wed May 29, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 29, 2024 7:08 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:58 pm
Ann wrote:Or perhaps it is NGC 3603 (and maybe NGC 3576) that are the bar-end enhancements of the southern Milky Way? Well, we are still in Carina.
Do the distances (from Wikipedia) to NGC 3603 (20,000 ly) and NGC 3576 (9,000 ly) jibe with either or both of them being physically in the "bar-end"?

EDIT: I suppose so, based on this map of the Milky Way, where the circular lines are 5,000 ly wide. But maybe they're not in the SAME bar-end!

NGC 3603 is definitely far more distant than NGC 3576. They are not close to one another at all, but at least they are in the same general bar-end overall region of the Milky Way (or so I believe anyway). However, we must bear in mind that we can only see a relatively small part of the Milky Way. So we could be missing the real bar ends!

My guess is that at least one of these nebulas marks the general position of one of the galactic bar ends, and NGC 3603 is definitely the likeliest culprit. It is one of the largest star forming regions in our galaxy, actually (I think) the largest.

But I guess it's possible that the "shearing motion" of the bar stirs up gas further out from the bar end (or, alternatively, further out along the bar), and thus triggers massive star formation further out as well.

You can see in NGC 1672 that it is forming stars at different distances from the outer parts of the bar.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed May 29, 2024 9:01 pm

Thanks, Ann!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Post by Guest » Thu May 30, 2024 8:49 am

The galaxy is not bent unless you distort the photo. The galaxy seen from within the disk is straight. This is improper to make laymen think this arch actually exists. These photos of bent Milky Ways are improper and shouldn’t be posted.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Thu May 30, 2024 11:52 am

Guest wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:49 amThe galaxy is not bent unless you distort the photo. The galaxy seen from within the disk is straight. This is improper to make laymen think this arch actually exists. These photos of bent Milky Ways are improper and shouldn’t be posted.
One has to compromise, when projecting a “dome” to a 2D surface. Do you also object to flat whole Earth maps?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 30, 2024 12:32 pm

Guest wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:49 am The galaxy is not bent unless you distort the photo. The galaxy seen from within the disk is straight. This is improper to make laymen think this arch actually exists. These photos of bent Milky Ways are improper and shouldn’t be posted.
If you are standing on the ground when the Milky Way is overhead, it is certainly seen as an arch, curving from one side of the horizon, passing through the zenith, and then down to the opposite horizon.

Geometrically, the Milky Way is not a line. It is a circle, which we view from the interior.

Of course, the image could be remapped so the Milky Way appears linear. In which case we'd have a weirdly curved horizon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com