APOD: Aurora Banks Peninsula (2024 May 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Aurora Banks Peninsula (2024 May 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri May 17, 2024 4:05 am

Image Aurora Banks Peninsula

Explanation: This well-composed composite panoramic view looks due south from Banks Peninsula near Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island. The base of a tower-like rocky sea stack is awash in the foreground, with stars of the Southern Cross at the top of the frame and planet Earth's south celestial pole near center. Still, captured on May 11, vibrant aurora australis dominate the starry southern sea and skyscape. The shimmering southern lights were part of extensive auroral displays that entertained skywatchers in northern and southern hemispheres around planet Earth, caused by intense geomagnetic storms. The extreme spaceweather was triggered by the impact of coronal mass ejections launched from powerful solar active region AR 3664.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Lee
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Aurora Banks Peninsula (2024 May 17)

Post by Lee » Fri May 17, 2024 3:11 pm

This is so beautiful! I couldn't see any of the Northern Lights because of the city lights. In fact, after moving to the city, I rarely see the stars at all. Except here!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri May 17, 2024 5:49 pm

I presume this is the location of the Southern Cross:

southern cross and aurora seen from new zealand.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Astro_mark
Ensign

Post by Astro_mark » Fri May 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Also this image is outstanding. Well deserved APOD.

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Fri May 17, 2024 9:58 pm

Lee wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:11 pm This is so beautiful! I couldn't see any of the Northern Lights because of the city lights. In fact, after moving to the city, I rarely see the stars at all. Except here!
In at least the last 25 years, any aurora sightings where I am in SE Pa has been "obscured by clouds". It has gone far beyond seeming chance. But I suppose it's just my frustration coming out. I finally thought, with this massive solar event - ongoing auroras for days - I'd finally see it. Nope. It clouded up the day the X flares began. To this day, there has been no sun and no stars; more than a week now. At least I got to see it in full regalia, I believe in the spring of 1975. I can find no record of an event then, but I saw blue and green curtains, white puffy things flying super fast from horizon to zenith, and giant red "Cardinals caps", huge and rising to a point at the zenith, all at the same time, for 4 hours. I do wish I could find some record of what caused that.
Last edited by zendae on Sat May 18, 2024 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Fri May 17, 2024 10:36 pm

Amazing photo!

Also this music video includes someone called Aurora. :D
Click to play embedded YouTube video.