APOD: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty (2024 Jan 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty (2024 Jan 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:05 am

Image The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty

Explanation: This colorful skyscape spans about three full moons across nebula rich starfields along the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy toward the royal northern constellation Cepheus. Near the edge of the region's massive molecular cloud some 2,400 light-years away, bright reddish emission region Sharpless (Sh)2-155 is at the center of the frame, also known as the Cave Nebula. About 10 light-years across the cosmic cave's bright walls of gas are ionized by ultraviolet light from the hot young stars around it. Dusty bluish reflection nebulae, like vdB 155 at the left, and dense obscuring clouds of dust also abound on the interstellar canvas. Astronomical explorations have revealed other dramatic signs of star formation, including the bright reddish fleck of Herbig-Haro (HH) 168. At the upper left in the frame, the Herbig-Haro object emission is generated by energetic jets from a newborn star.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Rauf
Science Officer

Re: APOD: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty (2024 Jan 10)

Post by Rauf » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:15 am

Today's title: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty

Tomorrow's title: Unforgotten

I see a reference to Clint Eastwood here :)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 am

Rauf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:15 am Today's title: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty

Sh2_155_4K_5Mb1024[1].jpg
The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty
Image Credit & Copyright: Gábor Galambos

That's funny, Rauf! :lol2:

For myself, I'm going to identify a few stars around the Cave Nebula and try to see what's going on here.

APOD 10 January 2024 annotated.png

I used a pretty small font size, so you may want to look at the full size of the picture.

A few notes. There are three O-type stars and one star of spectral class B0.5 here, so there is no shortage of ultraviolet light in the area. The prominent red star is a foreground object - phew! I wondered how it was possible that such a very young - yes, very young and dusty! - region of star formation could host such a large cool evolved star square in the midst of the action. But indeed, it is a foreground object.

One object that made me scratch my head in the APOD is the blue reflection nebula at upper left. What's so special about that little nebula, you may ask, and indeed, it didn't look very special to me at all - until I tried to identify it! I think we are talking about a star called TYC 4282-861-1, and its nebula. But look at what the nebula looks like in Simbad's Astronomical Database:

TYC 4282 861 1.png
It's yellow!!!! :shock:

Some of you may remember that I complained about how the intrinsically blue and apparently white-colored WR 7 was shown as orange in yesterday's APOD. Well, today we seem to have the opposite situation - a yellow reflection nebula is shown as blue! As the Color Commentator, I must disapprove not only of "the undeserved oranges" but of "the false blues", too.

Oh well. The "cave" of the Cave Nebula is interesting. It appears to be a dusty pillar, possibly a so called cometary globule, perhaps similar to the Dark Tower in Scorpius.

Note how different the Cave Nebula region looks in Carlos Uriarte's image compared with with the APOD. North is up in Carlos Uriarte's image, unlike the APOD, where south is up. Also, unlike the APOD, Uriarte has brought out lots and lots of red hydrogen alpha in his image. But in the APOD, where the red color is generally much more subdued, we can see the thin red arc that apparently gave this nebula its name.

Wikipedia wrote:

The name "Cave Nebula" was coined for this object by Patrick Moore, presumably derived from photographic images showing a curved arc of emission nebulosity corresponding to a cave mouth.

One final note. When I was searching for a suitable picture of the Dark Tower in Scorpius to post here, I came across this Starship Asterisk* thread discussing the APOD of July 15, 2021. Both Neufer and Orin Stepanek made posts here.

I miss them.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Christian G.
Science Officer

Post by Christian G. » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Splendid deep space vista!
Last edited by Christian G. on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekija

Post by Tekija » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:17 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 am
Rauf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:15 am Today's title: The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty

Sh2_155_4K_5Mb1024[1].jpg
The Light, the Dark, and the Dusty
Image Credit & Copyright: Gábor Galambos

Ann
"Clint Eastwood is not known for making things easy. He produced and directed Space Cowboys, and made it as realistic as he could."

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/ ... wboys.html

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:29 pm

Tekija wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:17 pm
Ann wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 am

Ann
"Clint Eastwood is not known for making things easy. He produced and directed Space Cowboys, and made it as realistic as he could."

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/ ... wboys.html
Sadly, It's a rare movie that gets science and astronomy better than laughably wrong. "Contact" and "Interstellar" tried harder than most and still weren't entirely successful.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:53 am

I think the reference is explained even better in IR.

Click to view full size image 1 or image 2

...but I don't think I'd want to see "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" in IR :D :D