APOD: NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:05 am

Image NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula

Explanation: This pretty nebula lies some 1,500 light-years away, its shape and color in this telescopic view reminiscent of a robin's egg. The cosmic cloud spans about 3 light-years, nestled securely within the boundaries of the southern constellation Fornax. Recognized as a planetary nebula, egg-shaped NGC 1360 doesn't represent a beginning though. Instead it corresponds to a brief and final phase in the evolution of an aging star. In fact, visible at the center of the nebula, the central star of NGC 1360 is known to be a binary star system likely consisting of two evolved white dwarf stars, less massive but much hotter than the Sun. Their intense and otherwise invisible ultraviolet radiation has stripped away electrons from the atoms in their mutually surrounding gaseous shroud. The predominant blue-green hue of NGC 1360 seen here is the strong emission produced as electrons recombine with doubly ionized oxygen atoms.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

VictorBorun
Captain

Re: APOD: NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05)

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:31 am

I wonder how can two stars in a binary system go together hot new white dwarfs

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 am

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:31 am I wonder how can two stars in a binary system go together hot new white dwarfs

I guess they started out as a normal binary star, after which first one and then the other of the two "less than 8 solar masses components" used up their available fuel, shed their outer layers and became the "central double star" of a planetary nebula.

Now they orbit one another inside their common gaseous envelope. Soon the planetary nebula will disperse, and only the two orbiting white dwarfs will remain. If they are close enough, but only if they are close enough, their orbits may sink and they may eventually merge and create a supernova.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 am

Yes, I guess the turquoise color of robin's eggs is a good proxy for the blue-green color of many planetary nebulas. A robin's egg is never likely to show any large patches of pink, however.

So why are robin's eggs blue? Image

(Victor, or someone, please help me - what is the hex code and RGB values for the lovely bluish cyan "robin's egg blue" large square that I just posted?)

Anyway. Why are robin's eggs blue?

The Spruce wrote:

The bile pigment biliverdin is responsible for blue tones in bird eggs, including robin's eggs. The color of an eggshell is determined by these pigments as they are deposited as the shell is formed in the shell gland.
Depending on the concentration of the bile pigment, the coloration can range from bright, bold blue or blue-green to pale ice blue and every shade in between.
A bright blue color of the egg may suggest to the male robin that the chick inside is in good health, and the male is more likely to spend more time feeding chicks hatched from brightly colored eggs. And blue-green eggs may protect the chicks inside from the harmful effects of sunlight.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:39 am

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 am I guess they started out as a normal binary star, after which first one and then the other of the two "less than 8 solar masses components" used up their available fuel, shed their outer layers and became the "central double star" of a planetary nebula.
Ann
what are the chances for two blue giants in a binary to burn for say 100 million years and then go white dwarf in the same say thousand years?

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:48 am

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 am A robin's egg is never likely to show any large patches of pink, however.
Ann
the alien conspirator who went 1500 years back in time and 1500 ly away to create the Robin's Egg Nebula got somewhat confused:

they correctly understood the phrase

your eyes were bluer then robin's eggs

but failed to see that malinovka's (robin's) eggs are not malinovy (magenta)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:07 am

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:39 am
Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 am I guess they started out as a normal binary star, after which first one and then the other of the two "less than 8 solar masses components" used up their available fuel, shed their outer layers and became the "central double star" of a planetary nebula.
Ann
what are the chances for two blue giants in a binary to burn for say 100 million years and then go white dwarf in the same say thousand years?
They don't have to go white dwarfs within the same millennium.

Consider Sirius:

Wikipedia wrote:

Sirius is a binary star consisting of a main-sequence star of spectral type A0 or A1, termed Sirius A, and a faint white dwarf companion of spectral type DA2, termed Sirius B.
The system is between 200 and 300 million years old.[13] It was originally composed of two bright bluish stars. The initially more massive of these, Sirius B, consumed its hydrogen fuel and became a red giant before shedding its outer layers and collapsing into its current state as a white dwarf around 120 million years ago.
Sirius A is also going to become a white dwarf eventually. My amateur guess is that it will take at least 200 million years for that to happen. That's because Sirius A must first deplete its core hydrogen, then turn into a red giant, then run through its red giant life time which will include a strongly shrinking core and an enormous swelling and cooling of its outer layers, then a helium flash followed by core helium fusion, then helium depletion in its core and a new swelling and a general instability caused by on-again, off-again shell hydrogen and shell helium burning, and then, finally, a shedding of its outer layers and the birth of a new planetary nebula and a new white dwarf.

But this is my point. At the time when Sirius A becomes a white dwarf, Sirius B will still be a white dwarf orbiting their common center of mass.

And the planetary nebula that will be created by Sirius A will envelop Sirius B, too. So that's what Sirius will become for a short time in the future, a binary white dwarf inside a common-envelope planetary nebula.

Ann
Color Commentator

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:20 am

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:07 am At the time when Sirius A becomes a white dwarf, Sirius B will still be a white dwarf orbiting their common center of mass.
And the planetary nebula that will be created by Sirius A will envelop Sirius B, too. So that's what Sirius will become for a short time in the future, a binary white dwarf inside a common-envelope planetary nebula.
Ann
so two evolved white dwarf stars may be out of sync after all, one is a 100 million years colder white dwarf than the other?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:31 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:20 am
Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:07 am At the time when Sirius A becomes a white dwarf, Sirius B will still be a white dwarf orbiting their common center of mass.
Ann
so two evolved white dwarf stars may be out of sync after all, one is a 100 million years colder white dwarf than the other?
Sure, why not? (A white dwarf cools insignificantly in 100 million years, of course.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:33 pm

Interesting comparison to Sirius A&B. NGC1360 masses are given as .555 and .679 solar mass. Do they have an orbital period? Otherwise how are these estimated? ( Sirius A 2.063, B 1.018 solar masses, 50 year period elliptical orbit, approximately from .5 AU inside Saturn’s orbit to 4.5 AU outside Neptune’s orbit)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:03 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 am
Yes, I guess the turquoise color of robin's eggs is a good proxy for the blue-green color of many planetary nebulas. A robin's egg is never likely to show any large patches of pink, however.

(Victor, or someone, please help me - what is the hex code and RGB values for the lovely bluish cyan "robin's egg blue" large square that I just posted?)

Ann
Sorry for quoting myself, but no one was interested in helping me try to find a hex code for the bluish cyan large rectangle in my first post.

Maybe this is the correct color? ██████ What do you think?

Its hex code is #00A8C9, and as for its RGB value, there is clearly not a lot of red in it (if any), and there is more blue than green in it.

Maybe it's a bit like the hue corresponding to 482 nm, which looks like this: ██████

The RGB value of 482 nm is R=0. G=222 and B=255. But my first rectangle is obviously darker than the color sample I posted just now.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:16 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:03 pm

Ann
Sorry for quoting myself, but no one was interested in helping me try to find a hex code for the bluish cyan large rectangle in my first post.

Its hex code is #00A8C9, and as for its RGB value, there is clearly not a lot of red in it (if any), and there is more blue than green in it.

Maybe it's a bit like the hue corresponding to 482 nm, which looks like this: ██████

The RGB value of 482 nm is R=0. G=222 and B=255. But my first rectangle is obviously darker than the color sample I posted just now.

Ann
Gimp tells me that the RGB of the pixels in your first post is:

robins egg blue pixel rgb.jpg
robins egg blue pixel rgb.jpg (12.33 KiB) Viewed 5408 times

But what "A" is I'm not too sure. I suck at using Gimp. It's COMPLETELY unintuitive to me!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:16 pm

robin-egg.jpg
Robin's egg! My dad loved the color for paint; why? I don't know! It
is a pretty color though! Maybe Robins were helping the easter
bunny! :lol2: I think I've seen some black ones though!
ngc1360_v2_1024.jpg
NGC1360; largest robin egg of all time! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:28 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:16 pm

Ann

Ann

But what "A" is I'm not too sure. I suck at using Gimp. It's COMPLETELY unintuitive to me!
Fantastic, Johnny! That's amazing! Gimp, what's that? I've never heard of it.

It's so interesting that there was a bit of red in the large cyan square I posted. But in the "color sample" at 482 nm, there was no red. Can you tell the presence of red from the fact that the large square I posted is darker than the "482 nm" strip?

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:37 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:28 pm

Ann

It's so interesting that there was a bit of red in the large cyan square I posted. But in the "color sample" at 482 nm, there was no red. Can you tell the presence of red from the fact that the large square I posted is darker than the "482 nm" strip?

Ann
Gimp is a free image processing and manipulation program available for Windows, Mac and Linux:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP wrote:GIMP (/ɡɪmp/ GHIMP; GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source raster graphics editor[4] used for image manipulation (retouching) and image editing, free-form drawing, transcoding between different image file formats, and more specialized tasks. It is not designed to be used for drawing, though some artists and creators have used it in this way.[5]

GIMP is released under the GPL-3.0-or-later license and is available for Linux, macOS, and Microsoft Windows.[6]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:47 pm

Delete, please.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:48 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:37 pm

Ann

Gimp is a free image processing and manipulation program available for Windows, Mac and Linux:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP wrote:GIMP (/ɡɪmp/ GHIMP; GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source raster graphics editor[4] used for image manipulation (retouching) and image editing, free-form drawing, transcoding between different image file formats, and more specialized tasks. It is not designed to be used for drawing, though some artists and creators have used it in this way.[5]

GIMP is released under the GPL-3.0-or-later license and is available for Linux, macOS, and Microsoft Windows.[6]
Huh. I'd need someone to help me install it, and then someone to show me how to use it. Primarily for finding out about the exact color of an image, or more likely, of parts of an image.

Don't know if I can do that, so is it okay if I ask you again, Johnny?

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:52 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 am Yes, I guess the turquoise color of robin's eggs is a good proxy for the blue-green color of many planetary nebulas. A robin's egg is never likely to show any large patches of pink, however.
Guess you've never seen a robin's nest after a hawk or jay got to it...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:54 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:48 pm

Ann

Huh. I'd need someone to help me install it, and then someone to show me how to use it. Primarily for finding out about the exact color of an image, or more likely, of parts of an image.

Ann
Does this work for you - https://www.colorcodepicker.com ? You just upload an image and you can then move your mouse over it and it displays the RGB values.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:54 pm

Ann

Ann
Just download Microsoft Power Toys. It installs a few simple utilities, one of which lets you point at anything on your screen and get a readout of the RGB values.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:06 pm

Roy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:33 pm Interesting comparison to Sirius A&B. NGC1360 masses are given as .555 and .679 solar mass. Do they have an orbital period? Otherwise how are these estimated? ( Sirius A 2.063, B 1.018 solar masses, 50 year period elliptical orbit, approximately from .5 AU inside Saturn’s orbit to 4.5 AU outside Neptune’s orbit)
OK, I looked up binary-mass function in Wikipedia, so there must have been a reading on period from something. But without knowing inclination of orbit, elliptical estimation, and so on mass of the two stars (if indeed there are only two) is, at this distance and obscurity a SWAG.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:54 pm

Ann
Just download Microsoft Power Toys. It installs a few simple utilities, one of which lets you point at anything on your screen and get a readout of the RGB values.
Nice - thanks. I can't believe I didn't know about this pack of tools before now. And here it is in action, after picking Ann's color:

ms power toys color picker.jpg
--

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:22 pm

Ann

Ann
neither the Robin's Egg Nebula nor a robin's egg have a colour hue or a wavelength.
Both look like some indigo ink that thickens white to pale cyan to blue to dark violet to black.
Here is a slice from this APOD
GC 1360-The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05) -.jpg
GC 1360-The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05) -.jpg (991 Bytes) Viewed 5330 times

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:31 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:22 pm neither the Robin's Egg Nebula nor a robin's egg have a colour hue or a wavelength.
Both look like some indigo ink that thickens white to pale cyan to blue to dark violet to black.
The egg shell has a pretty uniform hue. The image of the egg does not because of the intensity variations. Even with a hue created by a very narrow wavelength, there is no single color (or meaningful RGB representation) because the actual color is defined by intensity as well as hue.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:31 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:22 pm neither the Robin's Egg Nebula nor a robin's egg have a colour hue or a wavelength.
The egg shell has a pretty uniform hue. The image of the egg does not because of the intensity variations. Even with a hue created by a very narrow wavelength, there is no single color (or meaningful RGB representation) because the actual color is defined by intensity as well as hue.
here's a fragment of the pic of a robin's egg
Robin's Egg-.jpg
Robin's Egg-.jpg (1.62 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
You can see that a point of the sun's reflection is white; here the random movement of a photon scattered by CaCO₂ crystallites is minimal and chances for an ink molecule to absorb that photon is minimal.
The wider the angle from the sun's reflection the greater is the distance a typical photon travels through the egg's shell material before coming out along your line of sight. That is exactly what thickening a dye means.

There's a limit to that thickening here: a robin's egg has a thin shell with a budget quantity of ink and just white matter beneath.
So the longest travellers among photons get to pass through the shell and scatter from the white.
You can see just white to pale cyan to cyan-blue, no blue to dark violet to black