Bright and Morning Star

The cosmos at our fingertips.
jolieprincess3
Asternaut

Bright and Morning Star

Post by jolieprincess3 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:01 am

I don't know if any one else saw this that's why I am putting it here. Around 6am (Pacific Standard Time) in southern California, where I live. I saw a star that looked like a planet move from left to right and then get brighter and smaller 3 times. At first I thought it was a Super nova, but It kept shining. I was wondering if I was the only one who saw this. Also can anybody give me links to places that might have records of what happened at this time. I'm new to astronomy. Thank you.---Melissa C.
Are you a good person, take the test!

http://www.goodpersontest.com

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:57 pm

Advirtisers,,, gerrrrrrrrr :x
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

dcmcp
Ensign

Re: Bright and Morning Star

Post by dcmcp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 am

jolieprincess3 wrote:IAround 6am (Pacific Standard Time) in southern California, where I live. I saw a star that looked like a planet move from left to right and then get brighter and smaller 3 times.
I've seen this sort of thing once or twice. Usually close to the horizon. The most likely explanation is atmospheric effects (the same reason that stars twinkle).

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 pm

Anything that is moving against the background is usually a plane or something. If it crossed from horizon to horizon while you were watching, it probably wasn't a star. If there are no marker lights and it moves (about 2 minutes from horizon to horizon) in a West/East direction or a north/south direction it might be a satalite. I've noticed tha space station numerous times in the past, once at 10am going from northwest to southeast. And once at night I saw the space station going from southwest toward northeast with the shuttle traveling up to meet it.

juanroberts
Asternaut

Post by juanroberts » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:20 pm

I have seen this three times, towards the center of the sky. It goes from a dot to a white ball and then goes away in 1/3 of a second. Last time was this August in the California mountains, and my friend missed the first one but then spotted two subsequent ones I missed.

Have you ever seen them when you are not looking at the sky?