NRAO: Improved Saturn Positions Help Planet Studies

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

NRAO: Improved Saturn Positions Help Planet Studies

Post by bystander » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Improved Saturn Positions Help Spacecraft Navigation, Planet Studies, Fundamental Physics
National Radio Astronomy Observatory | 2015 Jan 08
Scientists have used the National Science Foundation's Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA) radio-telescope system and NASA's Cassini spacecraft to measure the position of Saturn and its family of moons to within about a mile -- at a range of nearly a billion miles. This feat improves astronomers' knowledge of the dynamics of our Solar System and also benefits interplanetary spacecraft navigation and research on fundamental physics.

The researchers, from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), used the continent-wide VLBA to pinpoint the position of Cassini as it orbited Saturn over the past decade by receiving the signal from the spacecraft's radio transmitter. Combined with information about Cassini's orbit from NASA's Deep Space Network, the VLBA observations allowed the scientists to make the most accurate determinations yet of the position of the center of mass, called the barycenter, of Saturn and its numerous moons. ...

The measurement, some 50-100 times more precise than those provided by ground-based optical telescopes, was possible because of the VLBA's great resolving power, or ability to discern fine detail. With its 10 dish antennas spread from Hawaii to the Virgin Islands, the VLBA operates as a single radio telescope with a virtual size nearly equal to the Earth's diameter.

The result is a greatly improved ephemeris -- a table of predicted positions -- for the Saturnian system. ...

Scientists Pinpoint Saturn With Exquisite Accuracy
NASA | JPL-Caltech | 2015 Jan 08

Astrometry of Cassini with the VLBA to Improve the Saturn Ephemeris - Dayton L. Jones et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: NRAO: Improved Saturn Positions Help Planet Studies

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 am

All I want to say here is that I love the word ephemeris.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: NRAO: Improved Saturn Positions Help Planet Studies

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:43 pm

geckzilla wrote:All I want to say here is that I love the word ephemeris.
And even nicer is the plural ephemerides... :D
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS