Dust

The cosmos at our fingertips.
charlieo3
Ensign

Dust

Post by charlieo3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:01 pm

What exactly is cosmic dust? Does it have a specific chemical composition? Or is it not "exactly" anything, but more of a generic term for "mostly this, but could be some of that"? In the textbook, "The Cosmos" (Pasachoff, Filippenko, 3rd ed., p. 360), Figure 15-27 has the following note: "Hydrogen molecules are formed in space with the aid of dust grains at an intermediate stage. Terrestrial laboratory research reported in 2005 showed that irregularities on the dust grains appear to be needed to form the molecules." The illustration depicts the dust grain as something with a ragged edged, a somewhat elliptical shape, and quite large relative to the size of individual hydrogen atoms. But what is it?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Dust

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm

charlieo3 wrote:What exactly is cosmic dust? Does it have a specific chemical composition? Or is it not "exactly" anything, but more of a generic term for "mostly this, but could be some of that"?
Something like the last. It consists of particles made from clumped molecules. Its composition depends on its source, but frequently contains carbon, oxygen, silicon, iron, nickel and other refractory elements. The material may be primary, formed inside stars, or secondary, broken off of other bodies. That's kind of the same way we use "dust" when talking about the stuff that lands on your coffee table. Many sources, many sizes, many compositions.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:21 am

In Swedish, "dust" translates as "damm" and "damm" is what you can see in this picture. When I first told my mother about cosmic "damm", she asked me, 'How did the "damm" get into space?' :shock:

Fighting "damm" the old-fashioned way. But how did it get into space? :arrow:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 am

Art Neuendorffer

charlieo3
Ensign

Post by charlieo3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:29 am

Ann, where did you get that picture of my sister and me sitting on the couch with our feet up? Notice how Mama cheerily incorporates dancing into her housework, impeccably outfitted in her hand-pressed flowery print dress and color-coordinated high-heeled shoes. Ah, the "happy days" of my childhood. And, yes, you caught me out... I was really trying to determine if my dust collection from the 50's could be mined for something I can sell on eBay. :-)

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:16 pm

At this house ( where i also grew up ) My mother wasted absolutely nothing, i mean nothing and i'm certain that somewhere around here " the attic, the garage or somewhere " there is a giant bag of drier lint i just haven't found it yet

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Dust is a good word for planetary detritus, but it seems far too lowly for material forged in stars. I like the word “stardust” for this interstellar material, because it accurately includes where this stuff comes from as well as its form.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Maybe dust is a fine word and rather it is you who thinks too lowly of it. Assigning caste to dust seems rather silly to me.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Dust is a good word for planetary detritus, but it seems far too lowly for material forged in stars. I like the word “stardust” for this interstellar material, because it accurately includes where this stuff comes from as well as its form.
Cosmic dust contains a subcategory of interstellar dust, which is different from stardust. Only some interstellar dust is stardust, meaning it formed inside stars and is substantially unaltered. In practice, we only observe stardust trapped in meteorites or recovered by special collectors in space.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

charlieo3
Ensign

Post by charlieo3 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Only some interstellar dust is stardust, meaning it formed inside stars and is substantially unaltered.
I'm thinking that only the elements, not the dust, were formed inside the stars, and that it is in the clumping together of some of those elements in the aftermath of a nova or supernova explosion that it becomes "dust." Is this correct or incorrect thinking?

Also, does anybody remember whether Carl Sagan said we are made of "Star Dust," or did he say "Star Stuff"?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:12 pm

charlieo3 wrote:I'm thinking that only the elements, not the dust, were formed inside the stars, and that it is in the clumping together of some of those elements in the aftermath of a nova or supernova explosion that it becomes "dust." Is this correct or incorrect thinking?
I believe rather large dust particles can come together in the outer layers of some stars before they explode, and that can include molecules consisting of more than a single element. Many late stage stars are cool enough in their outer layers to support unmelted, un-ionized refractory materials.
Also, does anybody remember whether Carl Sagan said we are made of "Star Dust," or did he say "Star Stuff"?
I believe he said we were made of "starstuff". But he did not come up with either the term or the concept. It was used numerous times from at least the early 20th century.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
charlieo3 wrote:
Does anybody remember whether Carl Sagan said we are made of "Star Dust," or did he say "Star Stuff"?
I believe he said we were made of "starstuff". But he did not come up with either the term or the concept.
It was used numerous times from at least the early 20th century.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
  • King Henry VIII Act 3, Scene 2

KING HENRY VIII: You are full of heavenly stuff.

• Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 2

ANTONY: Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.

• The Tempest Act 4, Scene 1

PROSPERO: We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

• Timon of Athens Act 5, Scene 1

TIMON: And, for thy fiction,
  • Why, thy verse swells with stuff so fine and smooth
    That thou art even natural in thine Art.

A Midsummer Night's Dream Act 5, Scene 1

HIPPOLYTA: This is the silliest stuff that EVER I heard.
Art Neuendorffer