Stream of Stuff

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Stream of Stuff

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:05 am

neufer wrote:
owlice wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
Kevin Trudeau has been found guilty and is going to jail, hopefully for a long, long time...
Good!
Why is everyone taking this so personally?
He's probably a Stratfordian, Art.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 am

My brother's brother-in-law got cancer when he was 39 and a father of two young girls. When he became very ill, his family spent a lot of their assets to send him to a "miracle clinic" where he was, basically, fed grass in order to "cleanse his system". He soon died, and his family was left much poorer than they should have been.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 pm

geckzilla wrote:
He's probably a Stratfordian, Art.
The horror! The horror!
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Seriously though, I'm not sure why you don't understand it. I mean, people like this guy exploit people who are in very vulnerable states--people who are so desperate that they are willing to believe in whatever miracles he's claiming to offer. Then he takes who knows how much money from them and claims to be bankrupt? He's also proud to have absolutely no medical education because he thinks that if he were to go to school he would somehow become magically influenced by the pharmaceutical industry. Essentially, he is an ignorant fool who is adept at convincing other people to join him and then he exploits them however he can. He actually got his fans to flood the judge's email account on his most recent case. As you can imagine, that backfired pretty badly for him. What a tool. A whole shed of tools, actually.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote:
Seriously though, I'm not sure why you don't understand it. I mean, people like this guy exploit people who are in very vulnerable states--people who are so desperate that they are willing to believe in whatever miracles he's claiming to offer. Then he takes who knows how much money from them and claims to be bankrupt? He's also proud to have absolutely no medical education because he thinks that if he were to go to school he would somehow become magically influenced by the pharmaceutical industry. Essentially, he is an ignorant fool who is adept at convincing other people to join him and then he exploits them however he can. He actually got his fans to flood the judge's email account on his most recent case. As you can imagine, that backfired pretty badly for him. What a tool. A whole shed of tools, actually.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I don't feel like deciphering whatever you are trying to illustrate with a video today. That's one way to end a conversation.

neufer

Be Wiener Riesenradable!

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 pm

geckzilla wrote:
I don't feel like deciphering whatever you are trying to illustrate with a video today. That's one way to end a conversation.
What did you want me to do? Be reasonable. You didn't expect me to give myself up...'It's a far, far better thing that I do.' The old limelight. The fall of the curtain. Oh, Gecky, you and I aren't heroes. The world doesn't make any heroes outside of your posts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_Riesenrad wrote:

<<The Wiener Riesenrad ("Viennese giant wheel"), or Riesenrad, is a 212 ft tall Ferris wheel at the entrance of the Prater amusement park in Leopoldstadt, the 2nd district of Austria's capital Vienna. It is one of Vienna's most popular tourist attractions, and symbolises the district as well as the city for many people. At the time of its construction in 1897, both the original 264 ft Ferris Wheel in the US (constructed 1893, demolished 1906) and the 94-metre (308 ft) Great Wheel in England (constructed 1895, demolished 1907) were taller. The 100-metre (328 ft) Grande Roue de Paris, constructed in 1900, was taller still. However, when the Grande Roue de Paris was demolished in 1920, the Riesenrad became the world's tallest extant Ferris wheel, and it remained so for the next 65 years, until the construction of the 85-metre (279 ft) Technostar in Japan in 1985.

The Wiener Riesenrad was constructed in 1897 by the English engineer Lieutenant Walter Bassett Bassett (1864-1907), Royal Navy, son of Charles Bassett (1834-1908), MP, of Watermouth Castle, Devon. Its purpose was to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Emperor Franz Josef I. The Riesenrad was one of the earliest Ferris wheels ever built. Bassett's Ferris wheel manufacturing business was not a commercial success, and he died in 1907 almost bankrupt. A permit for its demolition was issued in 1916, but due to a lack of funds with which to carry out the destruction, it survived. It originally had 30 gondolas, but was severely damaged in World War II and when subsequently rebuilt only 15 gondolas were replaced. The wheel is driven by a circumferential cable which leaves the wheel and passes through the drive mechanism under the base, and its spokes are steel cables, in tension.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

The Universal Word

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 am

Is there a word that is more or less common to all languages on the Earth? According to Mark Dingemanse, Fransisco Torreira and N. J. Enfield, there might be. The scientists have studied 10 spoken languages from 5 continents and found evidence of a similar word everywhere. The word is huh?.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... 0078273#s1 wrote:

We observe that this item fulfils a crucial need shared by all languages –the efficient signalling of problems of hearing and understanding– and we propose that its form is constrained by selective pressures in a conversational environment that is essentially the same in all languages.
So when we greet our first alien, maybe we should use that little word common to us all - a resounding Huh???

Read more here.

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Re: The Universal Word

Post by stephen63 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Ann wrote: So when we greet our first alien, maybe we should use that little word common to us all - a resounding Huh???
Ann

neufer

One, Two, Three.... Huh!

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Ann wrote:
Is there a word that is more or less common to all languages on the Earth? According to Mark Dingemanse, Fransisco Torreira and N. J. Enfield, there might be. The scientists have studied 10 spoken languages from 5 continents and found evidence of a similar word everywhere. The word is huh?. So when we greet our first alien, maybe we should use that little word common to us all - a resounding Huh???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huh_%28god%29 wrote:
<<In Egyptian mythology, Huh was the deification of infinity or eternity in the Ogdoad, his name itself meaning "endlessness".

Depictions of Huh Image were also used in hieroglyphs to represent one million, which was essentially considered equivalent to infinity in Egyptian mathematics. Thus this deity is also known as the "god of millions of years". The personified, somewhat abstract god of eternity Ḥuḥ possessed no known cult centre or sanctuary; rather, his veneration revolved around symbolism and personal belief. The god's image and its iconographic elements reflected the wish for millions of years of life or rule; as such, the figure of Ḥeḥ finds frequent representation in amulets, prestige items and royal iconography from the late Old Kingdom period onwards.

Like the other concepts in the Ogdoad, his male form was often depicted as a frog, or a frog-headed human, and his female form as a snake or snake-headed human. The other common representation depicts him crouching, holding a palm stem in each hand (or just one), sometimes with a palm stem in his hair, as palm stems represented long life to the Egyptians, the years being represented by notches on it.>>
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Here is another universal word

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Ayyyyyyyyyyy :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Usually in the fall when i start seeing geese flying around, shortly thereafter they start flying south. This year, i have yet to see or hear any going south. They're all going basically north!
I'm in the N/E corner of Connecticut.
Has anyone else observed strange goose behavior in the continental U.S.??

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm

There are usually tens of thousands of snow geese at Bombay Hook this time of year. This year, we saw none.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Gadzooks, owlice, that's googles and googles of gaggling geese :!:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:28 pm

I haven't heard any of the usual geese flying overhead this year, either.

neufer

Fergus Falls flocks refuse to flee farm field refuges furthe

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:15 pm

http://www.fergusfallsjournal.com/2013/11/18/flock-migration/ wrote:
Fergus Falls Flock migration
By Joel Myhre, November 18, 2013

<<Fergus Falls has always been a home for geese [but] the mid-November arrival of migrant geese is later than it used to be. Schultz said migrant geese had arrived in October. He credits the later arrivals to the warm falls, as well as attractive refuges farther north, including several near Winnipeg. Schultz said the migrant geese will likely stick around until the snow covers the farm fields.>>
owlice wrote:
There are usually tens of thousands of snow geese at Bombay Hook this time of year. This year, we saw none.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay_Hook_National_Wildlife_Refuge wrote:
<<The Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge is a 15,978 acre National Wildlife Refuge located along the eastern coast of Kent County, Delaware, on Delaware Bay. It was established on March 16, 1937 as a refuge and breeding ground for migratory and wintering waterfowl along the Atlantic Flyway. The Refuge was purchased from local land owners with federal duck stamp funds. Known to the Native American as Canaresse, meaning "at the thickets," and later referred to as Ruyge-Bosje, meaning "shaggy bushes" or thicket, Bombay Hook received its final name from the corruption of the Dutch "Boompjes" or "Boompjes Hoeck" meaning "little-tree point." In 1679 Mechacksett, chief of Kahansink sold Bombay Hook wetlands to Peter Bayard, an early Dutch settler. The price for the area was 1 gun, 4 handfuls of powder, 3 waistcoats, 1 anchor of liquor and 1 kettle.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Sandhill Cranes and the Keystone XL pipeline

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Wikipedia wrote: The price for the area was 1 gun, 4 handfuls of powder, 3 waistcoats, 1 anchor of liquor and 1 kettle
Man, ya just can't get deals like that anymore :!: :no:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 am

Geese, geese, geese. There's no shortage of them in the parks of Malmö. I'm glad there are fewer of them in the winter. Not that all of them leave, though.

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 am

Orin, thanks for the sandhill cranes! My birding buddy and I saw lots of them in the San Joachin Valley years ago; they are such beautiful birds!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 am

And with those beaks, they could do a lot of 'goosing'. :mrgreen:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm

All the Beak-ers would definitely be useful in Chemistry

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Sandhill Cranes and the Keystone XL pipeline

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 pm

neufer wrote:
Thanks for your post Art! There is a lot of debate as to whether or not the pipeline would be safe for the aquafier! https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... H6hxBFIw9E
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!