Just a(nother) thought!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Just a(nother) thought!

Post by wonderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I have literally thousands of thoughts on space and its inner workings everyday. These range from "oooh what a lovely apod" to the whys, wheres and whats of space. This is my first one for you guys to ponder.

it has been theorised that wormholes could exist in space. if such a wormhole was created that allowed the traveller to travel to a point 10 light minutes away, then travel back insantaneously then what would be the outcome if the traveller let of an explosion watched it for a minute then returned to earth and focused a telescope on the precise spot the explosion took place?

you would theoretically be watching something you have already seen, and also... with a powerful enough telescope you would be able to see yourself!!!! or would you? what would happen if you did? my brains broken!!

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

wonderboy
Commander

Re: Just a(nother) thought!

Post by wonderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:00 pm

obviously once the light reached the telescope after the subsequent 8 to 8 and a half minute wait.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 pm

wonderboy wrote:
obviously once the light reached the telescope after the subsequent 8 to 8 and a half minute wait.

Yay, I'm a science officer again :cry:
And just 36 posts to go :!:
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:39 pm

This is just a time travel paradox. It doesn't really have anything to do with astronomy so I'm moving it to Open Space.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey Neufer

initially I left because all my posts randomly got deleted and I ended up a science officer again anyway. Thought I'd come back and vent my thoughts on the world. Plus I missed it really.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 pm

IIRC there was someone who used to post just for the sake of upping his post count and we reset the post count to discourage the behavior. Was that you? The posts themselves weren't affected.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

nah i always posted as a comment on the subject. not just to up the ranks because that would be annoying. it may be good to have the kudos for the post count but i just like the banter and chat. it makes my brain work.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Well, I have no ideas how your posts could randomly disappear, then. It's not something that happens.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 pm

looks like I got my posts back? woo hoo and thanks (if it was indeed you) geckzilla still a science officer though haha.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 pm

wonderboy wrote:
looks like I got my posts back? woo hoo and thanks (if it was indeed you) geckzilla still a science officer though haha.
You've certainly been credited with 400+ posts for quite a while.
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 pm

what the heck is happening!? sorry guys, im literally confused to death because my post count did get reset and im almost 100% sure it was around 10 the other day.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:45 pm

You seem alive to me.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:12 pm

geckzilla wrote:
You seem alive to me.
The reports of Wonder Boy's death are greatly exaggerated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_%28video_game%29 wrote:
<<Wonder Boy (ワンダーボーイ) (also known as Super Wonder Boy) is a 1986 video game published by Sega and developed by Escape. It was the first in a long-running series of games and was followed up by five sequels, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV.

The "Wonder Boy" in question is a character known as "Tom-Tom" - a caveman-like character whose girlfriend, by the name of Tanya, has been captured by a monster. The player must guide Tom-Tom through seven "areas", each consisting of four "rounds". The levels are made up of forests, hills, oceans, caves, ice palaces and occasionally mountains lands. The levels always run from left-to-right, with some vertical movement.

Tom-Tom can arm himself with a stone hatchet, which he can throw at oncoming foes, a skateboard with which he can rush through the levels and survive one attack by an enemy, and temporary protection by an angel which allows him to destroy foes by simply running into them. All of the aforementioned power-ups are obtained by breaking open eggs. These eggs can also contain unpleasant surprises - curses which cause Tom-Tom to lose vitality more quickly than usual, and poisonous mushrooms which reduce Tom-Tom's vitality in one go. "Bad eggs" can be easily spotted, as they are covered in red spots, whereas "good eggs" that contain hatchets, skateboards and angels are plain white. The player must remain aware of the vitality meter, which constantly runs down at a steady pace and can only be refilled by collecting fruit throughout the level. There is also one doll to collect in each level, which doubles the bonus points awarded at the end of the level and, as already mentioned, if all dolls are collected "hidden levels" are unlocked.

At the end of every "area" (thus every four "rounds"), Tom-Tom will encounter an incarnation of chief antagonist Drancon as a boss character. Once defeated, Drancon's mask flies off and transforms into an item such as a tea cup or a piece of fruit for Tom-Tom to collect. Drancon then subsequently makes his escape.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 am

thanks for the avatar idea nuefer.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm

wonderboy wrote:
thanks for the avatar idea nuefer.
You're welcome,

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:18 pm

A blinkin cup of coffee. Blimey. Image