How would the night sky look from within the Lagoon Nebula?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: How would the night sky look from within the Lagoon Nebu

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 pm

ha-ha-ha, "gneu" manure. Got it :!: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

schlepping to asclepeion

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:07 pm

mjimih wrote:
yuuccchh that dreammoods excerpt was a depressing account of otherwise benign dreams imo. I am usually in a school or office building talking to acquaintances when invariably something gets frightful. I then end up in a car that I'm driving, or running on foot to find a way to get away or hide from something that is pursuing me. Different ways of waking up ;can't run fast enough, ;drive into water, or ;become trapped. Luckily they aren't too vivid, and my Psychologist father never cared about "dreams", so I don't either. The brain is too complex to pretend to know why it does things while on automatic repair-mode.

Now if my computer comes out of sleep mode and flashes a message like "Wow that was a weird dream." then I'll get worried!
  • Perhaps it dreamt that a snake ate it's mouse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepieion wrote: <<In ancient Greece and Rome, an asclepeion (Greek: Ἀσκληπιεῖον) was a healing temple, sacred to the god Asclepius. Starting around 350 BC, the cult of Asclepius became increasingly popular. Pilgrims flocked to asclepieia to be healed. They slept overnight ("incubation") and reported their dreams to a priest the following day. He prescribed a cure, often a visit to the baths or a gymnasium. Since snakes were sacred to Asclepius, they were often used in healing rituals. Non-venomous snakes were left to crawl on the floor in dormitories where the sick and injured slept.

Asclepius may first have been worshipped as a hero in Trikka, Thessaly, which ancient mythographers generally regarded as the place of his birth, but to date archaeological excavations have yet to uncover his sanctuary there. Epidauros, on the other hand, was the first place to worship Asclepius as a god, beginning sometime in the 400s BC. In the Asclepieion of Epidaurus, three large marble boards dated to 350 BC preserve the names, case histories, complaints, and cures of about 70 patients who came to the temple with a problem and shed it there. Some of the surgical cures listed, such as the opening of an abdominal abscess or the removal of traumatic foreign material, are realistic enough to have taken place, but with the patient in a dream-like state of induced sleep known as "enkoimesis" (Greek: ἐγκοίμησις) not unlike anesthesia, induced with the help of soporific substances such as opium.

Pausanias remarked that, at the asclepieion of Titane in Sicyon (founded by Alexanor, Asclepius' grandson), statues of Hygieia were covered by women's hair and pieces of Babylonian clothes. According to inscriptions, the same sacrifices were offered at Paros.

Hippocrates is said to have received his medical training at an asclepieion on the isle of Kos. Prior to becoming the personal physician to the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Galen treated and studied at the famed asclepieion at Pergamon.>>
Art Neuendorffer

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 pm

It's fairly well established that if you smile on purpose when your unhappy, you will affect your mood and become less unhappy. If you stand in front of a mirror all grumpy and you smile at yourself and tell yourself good things like "I'm actually good looking and smart, I don't care what others think" etc., you will feel less grumpy. Dreams serve the same purpose.
As the body repairs itself during sleep, so does the brain, and since we think with it, we can sometimes briefly remember what the brain was thinking while it was exercising itself.
Back in cave-people days, I'm sure we were all a little worried which predators might attack us in the night, so we over many many thousands of years have developed a mechanism to keep the brain sharp and ready for a fight or flight situation, especially if rudely awakened by a threat. If the brain just kind of shuts down while sleeping, who knows whether it would be able to jar us out of bed and instantly be able to protect us with an intelligent defense (where did I put the darn spear!, or which way out of here) or not?
I think it's so interesting to watch my cat twitch his whiskers n feet around as if he's struggling with a live mouse. It's all about keeping the sponge on our necks at the ready.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
mjimih wrote:
It's fairly well established that if you smile on purpose when your unhappy, you will affect your mood and become less unhappy. If you stand in front of a mirror all grumpy and you smile at yourself and tell yourself good things like "I'm actually good looking and smart, I don't care what others think" etc., you will feel less grumpy. Dreams serve the same purpose.

I think it's so interesting to watch my cat twitch his whiskers n feet around as if he's struggling with a live mouse. It's all about keeping the sponge on our necks at the ready.
Art "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, & doggone It,
I don't care what others think" Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_interpretation wrote:Two researchers have postulated that dreams have a biological function, where the content requires no analysis or interpretation, that content providing an automatic stimulation of the body's physiological functions underpinning the human instinctive behavior. So dreams are part of the human, and animal, survival and development strategy.

. . .
There we go, that's a lot less manure-y. Maybe they do help with development but to try to make any sense of dream content or otherwise interpret them as having some kind of meaning or as a metaphor is silly. It makes no more sense to derive meaning from them than it does to interpret what someone with a brain tumor might be saying. They're disconnected from reality and the brain is not really functioning as a whole. Dreams could be brain exercise. Different parts are being activated as some kind of neuron maintenance but it's not necessarily meaningful.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_interpretation wrote:
Two researchers have postulated that dreams have a biological function, where the content requires no analysis or interpretation, that content providing an automatic stimulation of the body's physiological functions underpinning the human instinctive behavior. So dreams are part of the human, and animal, survival and development strategy.
There we go, that's a lot less manure-y. Maybe they do help with development but to try to make any sense of dream content or otherwise interpret them as having some kind of meaning or as a metaphor is silly. It makes no more sense to derive meaning from them than it does to interpret what someone with a brain tumor might be saying. They're disconnected from reality and the brain is not really functioning as a whole. Dreams could be brain exercise. Different parts are being activated as some kind of neuron maintenance but it's not necessarily meaningful.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

The Great gnue wrote:Art "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, & doggone It,
I don't care what others think" Neuendorffer
Thus it is written, thus it is so.

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 pm

William Shakespeare stands in front of his own mirror and says; "To thy own self be true."

words to live by
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Aye, and "it" is. But tis only a reflection and not the Bard's bod. So the words thusly spoken to the reflection, come back as a reflection and the Bard's bod ignores them evermore, for the Bard's bod, tis not the reflection that he spoke to.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Beyond wrote:
mjimih wrote:
William Shakespeare stands in front of his own mirror and says; "To thy own self be true."
Aye, and "it" is. But tis only a reflection and not the Bard's bod. So the words thusly spoken to the reflection, come back as a reflection and the Bard's bod ignores them evermore, for the Bard's bod, tis not the reflection that he spoke to.
  • Julius Caesar Act 1, Scene 2
BRUTUS: For the eye sees not itself, but by reflection, by some other things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Troilus and Cressida Act 3, Scene 3
ULYSSES: A strange fellow here
  • Writes me: 'That man, how dearly EVER parted,
    How much in having, or without or in,
    Cannot make boast to have that which he hath,
    Nor feels not what he owes, but by reflection;
    As when his virtues shining upon others
    Heat them and they retort that heat again
    To the first giver.'
Art Neuendorffer