Radiation & Habitable-zone Planets

The cosmos at our fingertips.
mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Radiation & Habitable-zone Planets

Post by mjimih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I was wondering how life on other planets would fare without UV or other radiation protections, if at all? Earth has enough protection for life to thrive on the surface. Earth's land-fauna benefits from a magnetic field, AND a UV blocking atmosphere. How rare is that? Just because an exo-planet is the right size and distance from a candidate star, does not mean life can grow under the radiation it's going to receive.

http://www.ozonelayer.noaa.gov/science/basics.htm
Stratospheric ozone (sometimes referred to as "good ozone") plays a beneficial role by absorbing most of the biologically damaging ultraviolet sunlight (called UV-B), allowing only a small amount to reach the Earth's surface.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... years-old/
That date falls during life’s earliest stages of development, between the period when the Earth was pummeled by interplanetary debris and when the atmosphere filled with oxygen. Several earlier studies had suggested that a magnetic field is a necessary shield against deadly solar radiation that can strip away a planet’s atmosphere, evaporate water and snuff out life on its surface.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Radiation & Habitable-zone Planets

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

mjimih wrote:I was wondering how life on other planets would fare without UV or other radiation protections, if at all?
Seems to me that this is an issue only for life as we see it on the surface of Earth. It's much less an issue for life under the surface, or life in an ocean. Some radiation, like UV, is well tolerated even by some Earth life, and evolving such tolerance seems relatively trivial. Hard ionizing radiation is a bigger issue, but even that doesn't seem like an impossible thing for life to deal with.

Our thinking about life tends to guided by our extremely limited examples!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Our thinking about life tends to guided by our extremely limited examples!
Given the range of mostly humanoid alien ideas out there, it seems most humans lack the capacity to imagine truly alien life. Ionizing radiation could be useful as a source of energy but I have no idea how information molecules could be protected from it. Maybe just have a crapload of redundancy and the ability to recognize when one redundant part doesn't match with the majority of the backups and a continuous repair cycle? shrug. It's hard not to think in terms of DNA and cells.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Humanoid aliens are mostly the result of issues of practicality and budget when making movies and TV shows. In written science fiction, the aliens can be much more interesting. Read any of Larry Niven's Draco Tavern stories, or his Known Space series of stories, for example.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Rob, I'm sure some people can be extremely imaginative, especially informed ones. However, even when budget has no meaning, such as when an artist is simply doodling and coming up with alien ideas, even the most creative ones are usually just inspired by some form of terrestrial life. Of the ideas for intelligent life, nearly all of them have numerous humanoid features. Then there are video games where there are no actors other than voice actors and everything is already in 3d. The vast majority of aliens are still humanoid. And don't even get me started on the dearth of imagination when it comes to female aliens. Every time I see a concept and it's some grotesque alien form with the exception of some perfectly round, smooth boobs I just wanna :bang: . For some reason, that particular mammalian feature is indispensable.

Of course there's all sorts of ideas out there. But I think the main reason outside of practicality and budget restrictions is making the idea easily conveyable. People need familiarity to understand things.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

We can, of course, speculate about what life on other planets might be like, and we can argue about what kind of life forms are most plausible. Bear in mind, however, that our actual knowledge of extraterrestrial life is... zero.

We don't know how life arose on Earth. We don't know whether or not life has come into existence elsewhere. We don't know what the process of turning non-living material into life looked like on the Earth or what it would look like on other planets. We have no positive evidence that life has come into existence elsewhere.

All sorts of arguments can be made for the existence of life elsewhere, but, bottom line, we don't know that it exists anywhere but here.

We know a lot about the universe. We know that there are billions of stars out there, and we know that the stars are suns. We know that many of these stars have planets. But we know nothing - nothing - about whether or not there is life on any of those other planets.

Therefore, in my opinion, speculation on what extraterrestrial life forms will look like and what they will be like is more like philosophy than science.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Part philosophy, part engineering, maybe.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

rstevenson wrote:Humanoid aliens are mostly the result of issues of practicality and budget when making movies and TV shows. In written science fiction, the aliens can be much more interesting. Read any of Larry Niven's Draco Tavern stories, or his Known Space series of stories, for example.
Well, CGI is starting to turn that around. But even so, most writers are still very limited. Even Niven (and yes, some of the Draco Tavern lifeforms are quite creative) seems very restricted in his ideas. Almost all of his aliens are still things we'd recognize as animals, simply with an odd collection of manipulators or sense organs. After all, the fact that they can all exist together in a tavern (even with its aquarium-like options) and generally communicate reveals that these are not beings radically different from humans. The Outsiders are pretty different- maybe the best depiction of a radically different lifeform.

I expect life is ubiquitous in the Universe, and it wouldn't surprise me if we'd have a difficult time recognizing much of it as life at all. And in the rare cases where such life evolved to high intelligence, it wouldn't surprise me if we were largely unable to communicate with it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Ann wrote:Therefore, in my opinion, speculation on what extraterrestrial life forms will look like and what they will be like is more like philosophy than science.
I disagree. Astrobiology is on a solid scientific foundation.

There are very good and solid ideas about how life formed on the Earth. And of course, we know it did. The most reasonable conclusion from what we know of biology on Earth is that life is common in the Universe. And given our knowledge of biology and chemistry, we can very scientifically reason about the forms possible for extraterrestrial life. It is speculation to consider things like specific phylogenies, but not to consider the possible chemical bases, genetic methods, energy strategies, and environmental adaptations that are physically realizable.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Given that the periodic table is universal, it doesn't seem to be accidental that life forms on earth are comprised primarily of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
Here is a link to an interesting book: http://www.thelivingcosmos.com/
Part of the thrust of astrobiology is to examine the nature of life on Earth to better inform our search for life elsewhere in the Universe. Therefore, it is important to characterize life on Earth as completely as possible. For instance, the smallest unit in which life processes occur is the cell. All known living things are composed of one or more cells, which in turn contain an intricate array of molecules. But just what elements, exactly, is life made of? Interestingly enough, most of your body, over 99%, is made from just four elements: hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen.

In living organisms, each of these chemical ingredients has some interesting aspects. First, the large amount of hydrogen and oxygen, and in particular the ratio of these two elements in comparison to one another (two hydrogen atoms for every one oxygen atom), serves as an indicator of the high percentage of water that all life on Earth requires. Second, when we examine Earth’s atmosphere, we note that nitrogen is the single most abundant element. In addition, it is an important component of all living things as it is found in many molecules, such as DNA. Finally, carbon is the element that is considered the basis for life on Earth. In fact, organic chemistry is sometimes defined as the chemical processes of carbon and its compounds, regardless of whether or not a living organism is involved. Carbon is unique in its ability to build large and complex molecules. In comparison, hydrogen can combine with oxygen to form only two molecules: water (H2O) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Similarly, hydrogen can combine with nitrogen to form only two molecules: ammonia (NH3) and hydrazine (N2H2). On the other hand, the number of ways that hydrogen can combine with carbon is so large that it is unknown! The largest molecule listed in the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics has a chemical formula of C90H154. Carbon is, therefore, a versatile element for creating life forms and the perfect building block for complex structures.

All the life elements discussed above (except hydrogen) are created inside stars and are common in the universe. It is remarkable that the chemical composition of life on Earth resembles that of a star more than it does that of the Earth. Carbon and nitrogen, both necessary for life as we know it, are more common in the Sun than they are in our Earth. Iron, silicon, and magnesium are the most common elements in Earth – apart from oxygen – but play only miniscule roles in organic chemistry.

Although we have difficulty providing a concrete, all-inclusive definition of life on Earth, it is apparent (as illustrated above) that we can characterize some of the commonalities that life on Earth shares. What about life beyond Earth? Is carbon-based chemistry the only possibility for life? Chemists (and science fiction writers) have speculated about a life chemistry that is based on silicon, or some other element. Even more speculative is the idea of life based on some other organizing principle, such as electric or magnetic fields. Nobody has ever observed such life forms, so we cannot say anything substantive about them. However, the chemistry of the elements in the universe is well understood. In terms of a basis for life, it is generally agreed upon that carbon is superior to any other element in its ability to form complex chains and thereby serve as a building block for life.
It seems that it would be rather difficult for life to get started with any other chemical make up, as if it weren't difficult enough with our make up. To theoretically remove oxygen, water, oh, and carbon, then add some nice helpful things like additional radiation, be it UV or cosmic, gamma rays, etc., and then speculate that that's not much of an issue for life to get started, seems somewhat unrealistic to me, at least.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:59 pm

stephen63 wrote:Given that the periodic table is universal, it doesn't seem to be accidental that life forms on earth are comprised primarily of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
Of course it isn't accidental. The particular elements that define our type of life were dictated by the environment it formed in.
It seems that it would be rather difficult for life to get started with any other chemical make up, as if it weren't difficult enough with our make up. To theoretically remove oxygen, water, oh, and carbon, then add some nice helpful things like additional radiation, be it UV or cosmic, gamma rays, etc., and then speculate that that's not much of an issue for life to get started, seems somewhat unrealistic to me, at least.
Why would it be difficult for life to start with other chemical makeups? Why assume it was difficult in our own case?

No, I think it just shows restricted thinking. I'd expect life that forms in environments similar to Earth's (what we look for with the so-called habitable zones) to be carbon-based. And obviously, that's what we should be looking for, since we know how. But in other places, there would seem to be numerous possibilities. And even carbon-based life could be very, very different than organic life on Earth, with very different basic chemistry and a genetic system that looks nothing like DNA.

The science of astrobiology applies first principles to the question of what is possible, it does not speculate about what might be found in any place. Once we understand what is possible, we can go about asking how we might test for its existence.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm

What a wonderful distraction from the question of radiation aimed at habitable planets and life.

If science is leaning towards life on Earth being seeded by comets and the like, is it too far off to speculate that life that gets started elsewhere would also be seeded by comets and therefore would start out with a similar bio chemical footprint as us? Are comets that visit our solar system generally of the same make-up as found elsewhere in other galaxies?
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm

mjimih wrote:If science is leaning towards life on Earth being seeded by comets and the like...
Science is leaning pretty hard against that view. Rather, these kinds of bodies are seen as possibly providing some of the organic ingredients that were incorporated by the first life.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:11 pm

geckzilla wrote:The vast majority of aliens are still humanoid. And don't even get me started on the dearth of imagination when it comes to female aliens. Every time I see a concept and it's some grotesque alien form with the exception of some perfectly round, smooth boobs I just wanna :bang: . For some reason, that particular mammalian feature is indispensable.
This blatant example of a female humanoid alien is pretty, but absolutely lacks that indispensable feature.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Science is leaning pretty hard against that view.

why?
Rather, these kinds of bodies are seen as possibly providing some of the organic ingredients that were incorporated by the first life.
and the difference is? they weren't essential? or not enough of it?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 pm

mjimih wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Science is leaning pretty hard against that view.
why?
Well, for one thing, there's no evidence supporting it. There is strong evidence for a single origin of life on Earth, less than 4 billion years ago. All known life is genetically related (over a time scale of no more than a few billion years) and utilizes very similar chemical processes. This isn't what we'd generally expect if life rained down from space.

From the standpoint of scientific parsimony, there's no need for life to come from space. We have good explanatory mechanisms for its origin on Earth, and that's the simpler explanation.
mjimih wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Rather, these kinds of bodies are seen as possibly providing some of the organic ingredients that were incorporated by the first life.
and the difference is? they weren't essential? or not enough of it?
The difference is that ingredients aren't the same as life. In a sense, all the ingredients of life came from outside the Earth, it's just a question of when. Whether life was dependent on external organics isn't known. It may simply have utilized them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 am

back to this thread's subject...
Now that the search is on in earnest for other Earths and whether the ones we chose to investigate further have hopeful conditions for sparking life, or show signs of life
(James Webb Space Observatory --Will Advance Detection of Extraterrestrial Life
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -life.html ), I was hoping to get more insight on the role of radiation in researchers' calculations. I'm just hoping that radiation isn't going to put a big damper on our hopes of considering certain suitable candidates. It might not matter too much tho' would it, if life can just as easily reside in an ocean away from the deadly radiation for instance.

Will we ever be able to tell if a far away planet is receiving potentially detrimental-to-life doses of radiation or not? How common might it be that radiation would force life underground or underwater, where we wouldn't be able to detect it very well or at all? Will we be able to tell if life could survive on the surface or in the atmosphere of a candidate planet, based on what types of radiation it is receiving.

Maybe my questions will be more easily answered in a decade or so. But please try now anyway ok?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I think the thing about JWST detecting alien life is a bit of a gimmick to help keep the project going because "looking at the same stuff in the same way except bigger" isn't a very good selling point. Even if we can detect an atmosphere and determine some of its composition, you can't conclude life exists there just like that. I mean, all you can say it's a planet that has an atmosphere that has [elements] in it orbiting a type [whatever] star. Of course, if there is one that is really similar to Earth, it would be compelling. I imagine having a list of planets with various probabilities that life exists on them and then perhaps sending a robotic mission to one of the higher ones, which is something I doubt I'll live to see. Sadface.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm

mjimih wrote:I was hoping to get more insight on the role of radiation in researchers' calculations.
From an observational standpoint, I don't think it is much of a consideration.
Will we ever be able to tell if a far away planet is receiving potentially detrimental-to-life doses of radiation or not?
I can't speak to "ever". Right now, all we can do is rely on our knowledge of stellar types to estimate what the radiation environment around a star might look like. We don't have any way to assess the presence of a planetary magnetic field, so we'll probably know little or nothing about the planet surface radiation environment.

In a sense, it doesn't matter. Once we have the ability to observe the spectral characteristics of exoplanetary atmospheres, we'll be able to make reasonable assessments as to whether there is (organic, Earth-like) life on those planets or not, without knowing details of the radiation environment at all.

In other words, for the foreseeable future, our observations are likely to be "yes/no/maybe" with respect to detecting life, but offer very little in the way of detail.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Geckzilla;
I think the thing about JWST detecting alien life is a bit of a gimmick to help keep the project going because "looking at the same stuff in the same way except bigger" isn't a very good selling point.
Chris;
Once we have the ability to observe the spectral characteristics of exoplanetary atmospheres, we'll be able to make reasonable assessments as to whether there is (organic, Earth-like) life on those planets or not..
thanks. We have to blow out the candles, and pick 'em off the surface first, before we slice into the cake (with another instrument yet to be made?). mmmm. one step at a time eh? :yes:
disclaimer: I often got my hand slapped when I would take a finger-sized sample of frosting from the side of my siblings' birthday cakes before dinner. :lol2:

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:We don't have any way to assess the presence of a planetary magnetic field, so we'll probably know little or nothing about the planet surface radiation environment.
that is a key point. kind of a bummer.

Don't most rocky planets around our size or larger, produce "a" magnetic field bc of their hot liquid cores? How important is it that a magnetic field be present for surface life?

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:26 pm

mjimih wrote: Don't most rocky planets around our size or larger, produce "a" magnetic field bc of their hot liquid cores? How important is it that a magnetic field be present for surface life?
Well, Mars is a good example.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 am

mjimih wrote:
Don't most rocky planets around our size or larger, produce "a" magnetic field bc of their hot liquid cores? How important is it that a magnetic field be present for surface life?
As stephen63 pointed out, Mars, which, is much smaller than the Earth, doesn't have a global magnetic field. This may have led to the gradual loss of its atmosphere.

More interestingly, Venus, which is almost the same size as the Earth, has a very weak magnetic field driven by an interaction between its upper atmosphere and the solar wind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus#Magn ... d_and_core wrote:

In 1967, Venera 4 found the Venusian magnetic field to be much weaker than that of Earth. This magnetic field is induced by an interaction between the ionosphere and the solar wind,[64][65] rather than by an internal dynamo in the core like the one inside the Earth. Venus's small induced magnetosphere provides negligible protection to the atmosphere against cosmic radiation. This radiation may result in cloud-to-cloud lightning discharges.[66]
Unlike Earth, Venus doesn't have an intrinsic magnetic field at all. Venus' internal makeup must therefore be quite different than the interior of the Earth.
The lack of an intrinsic magnetic field at Venus was surprising given it is similar to Earth in size, and was expected also to contain a dynamo at its core. A dynamo requires three things: a conducting liquid, rotation, and convection. The core is thought to be electrically conductive and, while its rotation is often thought to be too slow, simulations show it is adequate to produce a dynamo.[67][68] This implies the dynamo is missing because of a lack of convection in the Venusian core. On Earth, convection occurs in the liquid outer layer of the core because the bottom of the liquid layer is much hotter than the top.

Venus does not have plate tectonics. The same event that shut down its plate tectonics may have destroyed Venus' internal magnetic field and heated its surface.
On Venus, a global resurfacing event may have shut down plate tectonics and led to a reduced heat flux through the crust. This caused the mantle temperature to increase, thereby reducing the heat flux out of the core. As a result, no internal geodynamo is available to drive a magnetic field. Instead, the heat energy from the core is being used to reheat the crust.[69]
There may be other reasons why Venus does not have an internal magnetic field:
One possibility is Venus has no solid inner core,[70] or its core is not currently cooling, so the entire liquid part of the core is at approximately the same temperature. Another possibility is its core has already completely solidified. The state of the core is highly dependent on the concentration of sulfur, which is unknown at present.[69]
The lack of a protective magnetic field means that the solar wind has been able to interact with and erode the atmosphere of Venus in a way that it hasn't been able to do with the atmosphere of the Earth. This erosion has probably led to the loss of water on Venus.
The weak magnetosphere around Venus means the solar wind is interacting directly with the outer atmosphere of the planet. Here, ions of hydrogen and oxygen are being created by the dissociation of neutral molecules from ultraviolet radiation. The solar wind then supplies energy that gives some of these ions sufficient velocity to escape the planet's gravity field. This erosion process results in a steady loss of low-mass hydrogen, helium, and oxygen ions, while higher-mass molecules, such as carbon dioxide, are more likely to be retained. Atmospheric erosion by the solar wind probably led to the loss of most of the planet's water during the first billion years after it formed. The erosion has increased the ratio of higher-mass deuterium to lower-mass hydrogen in the upper atmosphere by 150 times compared to the ratio in the lower atmosphere.
What I find particularly interesting about Venus is that it illustrates our human tendency to think that the Earth is a "typical" planet and that other planets "ought to be" like Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus#Magn ... d_and_core wrote:

The lack of an intrinsic magnetic field at Venus was surprising given it is similar to Earth in size, and was expected also to contain a dynamo at its core.
In my opinion, many people are too eager to think that other planets can be expected to be like the Earth. So far we haven't found a planet that is like the Earth at all.

mjimih, you wrote:
Don't most rocky planets around our size or larger, produce "a" magnetic field bc of their hot liquid cores?
In our own solar system, the Earth is the only rocky body that has a global magnetic field, or so I believe anyway. The Earth is the largest and most massive rocky body in the solar system, so we can't use our solar system as a model for what may be "typical" for rocky planets larger than the Earth.

Personally I can't help thinking that the Earth may be a highly unusual case for a lot of reasons. Many astronomers believe that the Earth collided with a Mars-sized body when the solar system was very young, and this event is believed to have created the Moon. But consider, too, what such a collision must have done to the Earth. The titanic collision must have caused much of the heavier material of both planets to merge, and much of the lighter material was flung into orbit around the newly-created beefed-up Earth.

Most of the core of the colliding Mars-sized body must have ended up in the Earth. And the Earth has largest core and the highest density of the rocky bodies in the solar system. To me it seems very likely that the increased size of the Earth's core, coupled with the energy that was pumped into the Earth by the titanic collision in itself, has something to do with our own protective magnetic field. I really don't think that a magnetic field like our own can be taken for granted when it comes to Earth-sized planets in other solar systems.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 am

I'm sure there are reasons to hypothesize the presence of a dynamo and magnetic field at Venus other than simply supposing that it ought to be like Earth. And I have no idea where you get the idea that anyone thinks Earth is typical at all. Anyone with some curiosity can read about our solar system and how unique our planet is. Heck, it's taught in elementary school. It's just unfortunate that such ubiquitous knowledge doesn't stop us from trashing the place like it isn't our only home.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 am

geckzilla wrote:I'm sure there are reasons to hypothesize the presence of a dynamo and magnetic field at Venus other than simply supposing that it ought to be like Earth.
Like you said, it was hypothesized that Venus would have a dynamo and a magnetic field. As Wikipedia pointed out, the main reasons for assuming that Venus would have an internal magnetic field was that Venus is similar in Earth in size and that its rotation, although very slow, has been shown in simulations to be sufficient to produce a dynamo. Wikipedia also noted that it was surprising that Venus turned out not to have an internal magnetic field.

The way I read that Wikipedia article, astronomers believed that Venus had a magnetic field, and models showed that it ought to have a magnetic field, but observations showed that it did not have one. Also, one important reason why astronomers believed that Venus had a magnetic field was that Venus is similar to Earth in size. Clearly Venus is similar to Earth in other respects, too: it must be more or less the same age as the Earth, it is a rocky planet just like the Earth, and it is our closest neighbour in the solar system.

I believe that astronomers thought that Venus had a magnetic field and a dynamo precisely because Venus was considered sufficiently similar to the Earth that it ought to have a magnetic field and a dynamo just like the Earth. What other reasons would they have for their belief?

My point is that it is incredibly easy to start from the Earth when we make predictions about extra-solar planets. It is too easy to make models which prove that other planets are going to be like the Earth. If we find an extra-solar planet that is the same size and mass as the Earth, does it mean that this planet is another Earth? If we find a rocky planet in a not-too-crazy orbit within its star's habitable zone, does it mean that this planet is another Earth? It is too easy to answer both questions in the affirmative.

I'm not at all sure that we understand the formation and evolution of the Earth coupled with the formation and evolution of the solar system well enough to understand why the Earth is teeming with life. And therefore I don't think we understand just how "normal" or how "rare" the Earth really is.

Ann
Color Commentator