Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Where am I?

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Photo: Reuters/Guang Niu
I think I'll burst!

No, you won't, thanks to us!

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm

The strong nuclear force? Red, Green and Blue describe the color charge of the quarks. Together, they have to be white(colorless) in order to be held together. I'm pretty much lost at this point and probably said it incorrectly, anyway!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Well, i must say I'm enjoying all the clues, even though i don't have a clue as to what they're trying to clue me in on. I just went through Wikipedia's description of James Joyce and couldn't find anything relevant to anything, that i could recognize as being relevant to your puzzle. Oh... the bursting clue... rubber bands. :mrgreen: (or something as mundane as gravity)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Dueling paint cans?

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

stephen63 wrote:
Ann wrote:
One more riddle... but I'm going to bed now, and won't be able to react to your guesses (if any) for several hours now!
The strong nuclear force? Red, Green and Blue describe the color charge of the quarks. Together, they have to be white(colorless) in order to be held together.
Technically,
1) there should be two paint cans being tossed :arrow:
and both quarks should have color both before & after.

A Gluon: Blue plus anti-Red or anti-Green.

Or, at least, there should be dueling paint cans:

Blue one direction plus Red or Green the other direction.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 pm

:lol2: That just quarks me up :!: :lol2:

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Beyond wrote:Well, i must say I'm enjoying all the clues, even though i don't have a clue as to what they're trying to clue me in on. I just went through Wikipedia's description of James Joyce and couldn't find anything relevant to anything, that i could recognize as being relevant to your puzzle. Oh... the bursting clue... rubber bands. :mrgreen: (or something as mundane as gravity)
The only analogy I can think of, and this is really far fetched!

“Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

Strong force property: Over a short range its strength increases with distance between the quarks. While they are close together the quarks experience little force, but as they separate the force between them grows rapidly, pulling them back together.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

stephen63 wrote:
Strong force property: Over a short range its strength increases with distance between the quarks. While they are close together the quarks experience little force, but as they separate the force between them grows rapidly, pulling them back together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hooke wrote:
<<Robert Hooke FRS (28 July [O.S. 18 July] 1635 – 3 March 1703) was an English natural philosopher, architect and polymath.

Hooke's law is a principle of physics that states that the force F needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance X is proportional to that distance. That is, Image where k is a constant factor characteristic of the spring, its stiffness. Hooke's equation in fact holds (to some extent) in many other situations where an elastic body is deformed, such as wind blowing on a tall building, a musician plucking a string of a violin, or the filling of a party balloon. An elastic body or material for which this equation can be assumed is said to be linear-elastic or Hookean. One of the more-challenging problems tackled by Hooke was the measurement of the distance to a star (other than the Sun). The star chosen was Gamma Draconis and the method to be used was parallax determination. After several months of observing, in 1669, Hooke believed that the desired result had been achieved. It is now known that Hooke's equipment was far too imprecise to allow the measurement to succeed. Gamma Draconis was the same star James Bradley used in 1725 in discovering the aberration of light. Hooke's activities in astronomy extended beyond the study of stellar distance. His Micrographia contains illustrations of the Pleiades star cluster as well as of lunar craters. He performed experiments to study how such craters might have formed. Hooke also was an early observer of the rings of Saturn, and discovered one of the first observed double-star systems, Gamma Arietis, in 1664. Craters on the Moon and on Mars are named in his honour.>>
Art Neuendorffer

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:44 pm

neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hooke wrote:
<<Robert Hooke FRS (28 July [O.S. 18 July] 1635 – 3 March 1703) was an English natural philosopher, architect and polymath.

Hooke's law is a principle of physics that states that the force F needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance X is proportional to that distance. That is, Image where k is a constant factor characteristic of the spring, its stiffness. Hooke's equation in fact holds (to some extent) in many other situations where an elastic body is deformed, such as wind blowing on a tall building, a musician plucking a string of a violin, or the filling of a party balloon. An elastic body or material for which this equation can be assumed is said to be linear-elastic or Hookean. One of the more-challenging problems tackled by Hooke was the measurement of the distance to a star (other than the Sun). The star chosen was Gamma Draconis and the method to be used was parallax determination. After several months of observing, in 1669, Hooke believed that the desired result had been achieved. It is now known that Hooke's equipment was far too imprecise to allow the measurement to succeed. Gamma Draconis was the same star James Bradley used in 1725 in discovering the aberration of light. Hooke's activities in astronomy extended beyond the study of stellar distance. His Micrographia contains illustrations of the Pleiades star cluster as well as of lunar craters. He performed experiments to study how such craters might have formed. Hooke also was an early observer of the rings of Saturn, and discovered one of the first observed double-star systems, Gamma Arietis, in 1664. Craters on the Moon and on Mars are named in his honour.>>
OK, Art. But please explain the connection to Joyce!

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

stephen63 wrote:
OK, Art. But please explain the connection to Joyce!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark#Etymology wrote:
<<For some time, Murray Gell-Mann was undecided on an actual spelling for the term he intended to coin, until he found the word quark in James Joyce's book Finnegans Wake:
  • Three quarks for Muster Mark!
    Sure he has not got much of a bark
    And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.

—James Joyce, Finnegans Wake
Gell-Mann went into further detail regarding the name of the quark in his book, The Quark and the Jaguar:

In 1963, when I assigned the name "quark" to the fundamental constituents of the nucleon, I had the sound first, without the spelling, which could have been "kwork". Then, in one of my occasional perusals of Finnegans Wake, by James Joyce, I came across the word "quark" in the phrase "Three quarks for Muster Mark". Since "quark" (meaning, for one thing, the cry of the gull) was clearly intended to rhyme with "Mark", as well as "bark" and other such words, I had to find an excuse to pronounce it as "kwork". But the book represents the dream of a publican named Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker. Words in the text are typically drawn from several sources at once, like the "portmanteau" words in "Through the Looking-Glass". From time to time, phrases occur in the book that are partially determined by calls for drinks at the bar. I argued, therefore, that perhaps one of the multiple sources of the cry "Three quarks for Muster Mark" might be "Three quarts for Mister Mark", in which case the pronunciation "kwork" would not be totally unjustified. In any case, the number three fitted perfectly the way quarks occur in nature.

Zweig preferred the name ace for the particle he had theorized, but Gell-Mann's terminology came to prominence once the quark model had been commonly accepted.

The quark flavors were given their names for a number of reasons. The up and down quarks are named after the up and down components of isospin, which they carry. Strange quarks were given their name because they were discovered to be components of the strange particles discovered in cosmic rays years before the quark model was proposed; these particles were deemed "strange" because they had unusually long lifetimes. Glashow, who coproposed charm quark with Bjorken, is quoted as saying, "We called our construct the 'charmed quark', for we were fascinated and pleased by the symmetry it brought to the subnuclear world." The names "bottom" and "top", coined by Harari, were chosen because they are "logical partners for up and down quarks". In the past, bottom and top quarks were sometimes referred to as "beauty" and "truth" respectively, but these names have somewhat fallen out of use. While "truth" never did catch on, accelerator complexes devoted to massive production of bottom quarks are sometimes called "beauty factories".>>
A.C.e Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Art wrote:
Technically,
Image credit: Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons user Qashqaiilove.
Color-dueling color charge quarks!!! :D :D :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Three quarks for Muster Mark!
Sure he has not got much of a bark
And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.
He has not got much of a bark!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Ann wrote:
Art wrote:
Technically,
Image credit: Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons user Qashqaiilove.
Color-dueling color charge quarks!!! :D :D :D

Ann
Poor bottom (d). He gets it from both directions, (u) & top(d). Top (d) only gets it from (u). (u) only dishes it out. Say... shouldn't these quarks be called Larry, Moe and curly :?: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Larry, Moe and Curly? Yeah, that's a good idea! :lol2:

Stephen, you won! Image Have you got a riddle for us?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Yes, I know it's your turn now, Stephen, but I'm sorry, I can't resist...

Moo + Coo = BLUE.

Yes, yes, I can hear you...Image Image Image
But I'm going to give you two more clues! Two for the price of one!

First, it is an American Moo! :D

Second, the Moo resides in very clear "air"! Go figure! :D

There will be more clues tomorrow!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Ann, you seem to be mooooving right along with these puzzles. I find that udderly delightful, even though i have no idea about where you're trying to herd us to. For me, so far, the moo + coo = blue, and the look-alike cow out in the very clear air somewhere ... wait a minute! Arizona has very clear air and a bunch of BIG telescopes. Are you trying to herd us up a mountain to one of them thar telee scopes :?: :?:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 am

Thanks for your guess, Beyond, but I gave too few and too strange clues. Here's another one.

The Moo isn't just a Moo, it's a MooCoo!! It is a sort of bovine Pegasus, but it isn't a Pegasian (and not a balloon, either).

So where did it get its wings?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 am

I liked it better with the too few and strange clues. I have no idea at all what a MooCoo is, except that you said it's not a balloon or a Pegasus. So therefore, having no idea at all of what it is, I'm sure not going to know where whatever it is got it's wings. Maybe someone out there in Asterisk* Land knows what a MooCoo is and where it got it's wings from. So I'm just going to 'plop' myself down and see what pops up. Oh, by the way, have you been drinking Swedish eggnog or something :?: :lol2:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:33 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:37 am

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

That was so good, bystander, that it must almost be the answer to my riddle!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 am

Okay. Here's another clue. A good one. It might actually help you!

The MooCoo, which has temporarily lost its wings and gained wheels, is speeding! Hey, MooCoo, watch out for the interstellar traffic police!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:43 am

Man, I'm beginning to feel like i know nutin at all :!: A MooCoo clock. :lol2:

Edit: oops, now it's got wheels. I think we're gonna need Margarita to keep up with this puzzle :!:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:57 am

MooCoo is a hottie! She really is. You don't think so?
When MooCoo was a real young'un, she was but one of a litter of feisty ones. There was so much feistiness going on, that MooCoo and her Flamin' Sister got kicked out. You can see the Flamin' Sister on the left in this pic!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:21 am

I can't wait till tomorrow. I wonder how many MooCoo cars this train has. :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 am

The Flamin' Sister was so feisty, they named her Aiee. No, really, they named her Aileen! No, really, they just named her AE! No kidding!

But poor Moocoo was just named Moo Coo!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 am

Source: http://www.sareespalace.com/
flamboyant-green-blue-chiffon-saree
AE is flamboyant in blue and red, although I think the green is a mistake.

But poor MooCoo, all blue, never gets any attention! :(

Ann
Color Commentator