What would happen if dark matter disappeared ?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Rhysy
Asternaut

What would happen if dark matter disappeared ?

Post by Rhysy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm

This may be of interest. It's a simulation a friend ran for me (because I asked nicely) showing what would happen to a run-of-the-mill spiral galaxy if it suddenly and magically lost all of its dark matter. I've always wanted to see this, because I've been telling people for years that without dark matter galaxies would fly apart. Turns out (reassuringly) that's exactly what they do. Though it's a bit more complicated than that, because dark matter is only really important in the outer parts of the disc. The inner parts don't really notice.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I wrote a more detailed article about this on my blog : http://astrorhysy.blogspot.com/2013/05/ ... -them.html

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Re: What would happen if dark matter disappeared ?

Post by Markus Schwarz » Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 am

Nice work Rhys and Rory! :thumb_up:

Is there a reason why the central bulge starts to move to the "upper right"? Naively, I would imagine that the center of gravity stays at the center.

Rhysy
Asternaut

Post by Rhysy » Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks !

You're right, it should stay central. I think it's because of small numerical errors which are increased because the program was never designed to have 90% of the mass suddenly removed. Apparently the first run generated 10GB of error messages, which is clearly not a sign of a happy program. :) It also resulted in the central part of the galaxy moving quite neatly along the line y=x. This version is a lot better, but not perfect.

Rhys

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Very interesting piece of work, Rhysy - thanks a lot.
Just noting that you are the "rhysy" who produced that helpful galaxy size comparison chart which was posted in April are you not?

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 04#p196682
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:Very interesting piece of work, Rhysy - thanks a lot.
Just noting that you are the "rhysy" who produced that helpful galaxy size comparison chart which was posted in April are you not?

Margarita
I just checked the two links in your viewtopic Margarita, and they're now blocked because of Zoomit.com code violations.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Beyond wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote:Very interesting piece of work, Rhysy - thanks a lot.

Margarita
I just checked the two links in your viewtopic Margarita, and they're now blocked because of Zoomit.com code violations.
So they are!
The original is at:

http://astrorhysy.blogspot.com.es/2013/ ... chart.html

I'll put a comment on the blog that the zoomit versions are defunct.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 pm

PS. I've just discovered a video version of the zoomable galaxy size comparison in Video submissions.

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 50#p197344

Rhysy
Asternaut

Post by Rhysy » Sun May 19, 2013 3:16 am

Yes, I am he. :)

I don't know why the images should be blocked for "code of conduct" violations... maybe it's because I removed the original images (I don't know how zoomit works exactly, perhaps they require the originals to be accessible ?). Anyway the links in the original blog post do work. I edited them because someone pointed out that I'd got the size of a light year wrong by a factor of 1000. :oops:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun May 19, 2013 7:54 am

Rhysy wrote:Yes, I am he. :)

I don't know why the images should be blocked for "code of conduct" violations... maybe it's because I removed the original images (I don't know how zoomit works exactly, perhaps they require the originals to be accessible ?). Anyway the links in the original blog post do work. I edited them because someone pointed out that I'd got the size of a light year wrong by a factor of 1000. :oops:
Good to have you here!
But quite disappointed in the explanation about the 'code of conduct violations :eyebrows: :!: '! I thought that at least you would have run off with the MD's cat! :wink: :lol2:

Do you think you could put a post on the original thread (follow the link above on my or Beyond's post) to say where the zoomable image is now available?

Margarita