milky way

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Astromontufar
Science Officer

milky way

Post by Astromontufar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I remember the first day i saw jupiter, the fist day i saw saturn, it was a breathtaking moment, i did understand the beauti of our solar system, but the day i was able to notice the milky way on a really dark place, i was so impressed to see that we are traveling vertically trough the galaxy, it is beautiful to see that we belong to a beautiful galaxy it was amazing, how did you feel when you see the galaxy milky way?

Ann
4725 Å

Re: milky way

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Astromontufar, you have made a lot of posts and hardly received any replies! It could be that we are a little overwhelmed by your enthusiasm, coupled with the fact that we don't know you yet.

I have had one - one - overwhelming experience of the night sky, which happened when I was fifteen years old. It was a clear winter evening, and I asked my dad to drive me out into the woods some twenty kilometers from where we lived. We knew there was an elevated clearing there, where it was possible to see much of the sky, and where we would be far away from the city lights.

My dad did as I asked, and we found the desired spot. As I stepped out of the car, I was overwhelmed and dumbstruck by the glory and brilliance of the sky. It blazed down on me. I had just learnt the shapes of the constellations and was proud of my knowledge, but here I couldn't find any shapes at all in the dizzying embarrassments of celestial riches. Everything drowned in the glory of lights in the sky. Later I realized that had seen the Milky Way, because I did manage to identify Cassiopeia and Perseus after a while. And here, of course, the winter Milky Way runs across the sky.

Welcome here, Astromontufar! What was it like for you to see the Milky Way for the first time?

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Re: milky way

Post by stephen63 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 pm

I remember the experience that got me hooked on astronomy. I was in the Navy on a ship underway in the Red sea, I think, so in boredom, I walked out on the bridge wing to look at the stars. I noticed a set of stars in which one had a fuzzy look to it. The sea was was fairly calm, so I looked at the fuzzy one through the ship's "Big Eyes", which are a large pair of binoculars mounted to the deck on an alt/az type mount. I thought to myself, that's not a star, it's some sort of cloud! I went back the next night, with a sketch pad and a pencil. I spent about half an hour drawing a picture of the mysterious cloud. When I finished, I went to the ships library and looked through everything until I found it in the Encyclopædia Britannica, I believe. I was thrilled! I had just discovered the Great Orion Nebula! Granted, I certainly wasn't the first person to find it, but I didn't even know it existed! I was hooked.