Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Where am I?

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 am

Ann wrote:Ehhh...Curiosity? :mrgreen:

Okay, here's my next question.

We are twins. In 1838 it was found that we are 10.4 light-years away (we are actually 11,4 light-years away, but never mind!).
Ann
Yes, with wonderful Google, your question was at my level :lol2:

61 Cygni - a pair of K- type dwarfs.
Wikipedia says:
61 Cygni,sometimes called Bessel's Star[12] or Piazzi's Flying Star,[13] is a binary star system in the constellation Cygnus. It consists of a pair of K-type dwarf stars that orbit each other in a period of about 659 years, forming a visual binary. At fifth and sixth apparent magnitudes, they are among the least conspicuous stars visible in the night sky to an observer without an optical instrument.

61 Cygni first attracted the attention of astronomers because of its large proper motion. In 1838, Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel measured its distance from Earth at about 10.4 light years, very close to the actual value of about 11.4 light years; this was the first distance estimate for any star other than the Sun,[14] and first star to have its stellar parallax measured.
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am

PS. Do set another question, Ann - I can't think of one 'on the fly'. But I will start to do so, as this is a great way to learn about the cosmos!
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 am

Okay...

I used to be known as Xena, the Warrior Princess!

Now I'm a goddess of discord. Oh well.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 am

Ann wrote:Okay...

I used to be known as Xena, the Warrior Princess!

Now I'm a goddess of discord. Oh well.

Ann
Oh - I knew that without looking it up! The answer is ERIS.

I will try to think of something suitable and post a question later.
Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Here is my question:

"Madame Sosostris would probably have seen me as linked to the wheel of fortune - who/what am I?"

M

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:"Madame Sosostris would probably have seen me as linked to the wheel of fortune - who/what am I?"
The Wheel of Fortune, Tarot card. "The planet of this card is Jupiter..."

Which is every bit of knowledge I have of Tarot cards, and that only because of Google (again.) Almost seems to be cheating using Google; it's too good.

Now I'll take some time before class to think of another question, in case I was correct.

Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Congratulations, Rob! Yes, Google is amazing, isn't it? Perhaps our challenge is to set questions that defeat Google??
M.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Okay, here 'tis. (Not sure if Google can be defeated, except perhaps by punny clues.)

There's three of me but we're not really close. However, we can be cinched.

Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm

rstevenson wrote:Okay, here 'tis. (Not sure if Google can be defeated, except perhaps by punny clues.)

There's three of me but we're not really close. However, we can be cinched.

Rob
Orion's Belt? Alnilam, Alnitak and Mintaka - from memory, so spelling may be awry.
M

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Well, I guess the horsehead can be sort of cinched, at least the supposedly hidden back of it - but the belt?

<grumble> I feel my grasp of English failing me. We can be cinched??? :?: :?: :?:

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Capella and her kids. Created by Bob Moler using Stellarium.
Oh, wait - what about Capella and her kids, Epsilon, Zeta and Eta Aurigae? Capella is the "Goat Star", and her "kids" can presumably be cinched!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:17 pm

My third post in a row, sorry - but the "We are three" bit, coupled with my realization that they might be "kids", suddenly got me thinking of Donald Duck and his three nephews! :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Ann the Ducks :lol2:

I try a triple star system : Polaris
α UMi Aa is a 4.5 solar mass F7 supergiant (Ib). This is the first classical Cepheid to have a dynamical mass determined from its orbit. The two smaller companions are: α UMi B, a 1.39 solar mass F3 main sequence star orbiting at a distance of 2400 AU, and α UMi Ab (or P), a very close F6 main sequence star with an 18.8 AU radius orbit and 1.26 solar masses. There are also two distant components α UMi C and α UMi D.[9]

Polaris B can be seen even with a modest telescope. It was found by William Herschel in 1780 using one of the most powerful telescopes at the time: a reflecting telescope that he had made. In 1929, it was discovered by examining the spectrum of Polaris A that it was a very close binary with the secondary being a dwarf (variously α UMi P, α UMi a or α UMi Ab), which had been theorized in earlier observations (Moore, J.H and Kholodovsky, E. A.). In January 2006, NASA released images from the Hubble telescope, directly showing all three members of the Polaris ternary system. The nearer dwarf star is in an orbit of only 18.5 AU (2.8 billion km,[10] about the distance from our Sun to Uranus) from Polaris A, explaining why its light is swamped by its close and much brighter companion.[4]

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Ann wrote:Well, I guess the horsehead can be sort of cinched, at least the supposedly hidden back of it - but the belt?

<grumble> I feel my grasp of English failing me. We can be cinched??? :?: :?: :?:

Ann
I did know the word already (being English is an unfair advantage :mrgreen: ), but I thought I'd see what Google says:
(Verb)
Cinched. Past participle, past tense of cinch
Secure (a garment) with a belt.
Fix (a saddle) securely by means of a girth; girth up (a horse).
Margarita
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
rstevenson wrote:There's three of me but we're not really close. However, we can be cinched.
Orion's Belt? Alnilam, Alnitak and Mintaka - from memory, so spelling may be awry.
M
You got it. Three stars forming a belt - seemingly together but really hundreds of light years apart. And yes, belts can be cinched. It was a cinch, right?

Sorry, Ann. Puns are not really fair for those not very fluent in English. After all, why would anyone other than us crazy English speakers think that "cinch" can mean an easy task, or a firm grip, or a certainty, or even a particular bit of leather or rope for a pack animal -- while "cinched" brings two of those meanings together, as you get a firm grip on the rope holding Orion's pants up. Or his kilt, or whatever hunters wore back then.

Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 pm

rstevenson wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote:
rstevenson wrote:There's three of me but we're not really close. However, we can be cinched.
M
You got it. Three stars forming a belt - seemingly together but really hundreds of light years apart. And yes, belts can be cinched. It was a cinch, right?

Sorry, Ann. Puns are not really fair for those not very fluent in English. After all, why would anyone other than us crazy English speakers think that "cinch" can mean an easy task, or a firm grip, or a certainty, or even a particular bit of leather or rope for a pack animal -- while "cinched" brings two of those meanings together, as you get a firm grip on the rope holding Orion's pants up. Or his kilt, or whatever hunters wore back then.

Rob
Interestingly, cinturón (which like cinch is from the Latin cingere) is the Spanish word for 'belt', so I use it reasonably often.
I will see about a word-free question!
Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

who_am_I.jpg
That is my question! :D

Margarita
One should be blue- white, not red, but I couldn't find a suitable photo...

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Indian Sarus Cranes.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Source: Delhibird

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 pm

owlice wrote:Indian Sarus Cranes.
Right - so what is the astronomical answer?.
M

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I hesitate to answer since I likely won't get to another question soon if my answer is correct, so I'll use the spoiler feature so others can ignore my answer.
Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

rstevenson wrote:I hesitate to answer since I likely won't get to another question soon if my answer is correct, so I'll use the spoiler feature so others can ignore my answer.
Rob
Nearly - what I'm looking for is two 'items' tho, and definitely astronomical not avian!

I was brought up on the BBC radio programme, Round Britain Quiz, which had very opaque questions to answer. Think cryptic crossword puzzle. :!:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Here is a clue
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 50#p194419 what are the two bright stars just down from comet Lemmon that Anthony noticed?

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Maybe : alpha grus, the blue white one and beta grus the orange one.
Grus has several bright stars. Alpha Gruis, called Alnair, is a blue-white star of magnitude 1.7, 101 light-years from Earth. Its traditional name, Alnair, means "the bright one" and refers to its status as the brightest star in Grus. Beta Gruis is a red giant variable star with a minimum magnitude of 2.3 and a maximum magnitude of 2.0; it is 170 light-years from Earth. Gamma Gruis is a blue giant of magnitude 3.0, 203 light-years from Earth.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:34 am

Alpha_and_Beta_Gruis.jpg
Moonlady wrote:Maybe : alpha grus, the blue white one and beta grus the orange one.
Grus has several bright stars. Alpha Gruis, called Alnair, is a blue-white star of magnitude 1.7, 101 light-years from Earth. Its traditional name, Alnair, means "the bright one" and refers to its status as the brightest star in Grus. Beta Gruis is a red giant variable star with a minimum magnitude of 2.3 and a maximum magnitude of 2.0; it is 170 light-years from Earth. Gamma Gruis is a blue giant of magnitude 3.0, 203 light-years from Earth.

YES! :clap: :clap:
A_bunch_of_flowers_as_a_prize.jpg
I hope that you like the flowers?!

Now, what is your question?
Margarita