Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
TNT
Science Officer

Re: Weather!

Post by TNT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

It's snowing hard now! Already 9 inches of snow has fallen on the ground, and it only started snowing four hours ago! About three inches per hour was expected, and it happened! We've also gotten a few flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder. The snow will let up in about an hour, but later in the afternoon it will get started again. Forecasters now predict that Kansas City will get between 10-15 inches of snow!
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
TNT wrote:
It's snowing hard now! Already 9 inches of snow has fallen on the ground, and it only started snowing four hours ago! About three inches per hour was expected, and it happened! We've also gotten a few flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder. The snow will let up in about an hour, but later in the afternoon it will get started again. Forecasters now predict that Kansas City will get between 10-15 inches of snow!
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

neufer wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:
So far; all we got was a dusting!

A lot must be expected though; since all the schools around are taking a snow day or two! 8-)
Well...enjoy your day off then, Orin. :wink:
Every day is supposed to be a day off when your retired but I do keep busy! I put down quarter round today as I finished tiling the kitchen! 8-)
TNT wrote:It's snowing hard now! Already 9 inches of snow has fallen on the ground, and it only started snowing four hours ago! About three inches per hour was expected, and it happened! We've also gotten a few flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder. The snow will let up in about an hour, but later in the afternoon it will get started again. Forecasters now predict that Kansas City will get between 10-15 inches of snow!
We're at about 5 inches so far; but it's supposed to snow until about noon tomorrow! I hope it is a sign that the dry times are coming to an end! The best way to enjoy a good snow is with a good :b: or :b: :b: :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 am

orin stepanek wrote:We're at about 5 inches so far; but it's supposed to snow until about noon tomorrow!
The snow is finally coming to an end, so we're going to finish at 13 inches! Try to top that, Orin! :wink:
orin stepanek wrote:I hope it is a sign that the dry times are coming to an end! The best way to enjoy a good snow is with a good :b: or :b: :b: :D
I hope so too, but unfortunately we would need eight feet of snow to be adequate enough to finish off the drought. But who knows?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

TNT wrote: The snow is finally coming to an end, so we're going to finish at 13 inches! Try to top that, Orin! :wink:
I can't top that! I get around 8 inches around my yard. I'll take that for the moisture! 8-) :D
Orin

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Oh boy, here we go again. Monday is another hot spot for winter weather. Depending on where this low pressure system tracks, we could see rain, a little snow, or 6-10 inches of snow. Something is definitely haywire with the weather! :?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 pm

TNT wrote:Oh boy, here we go again. Monday is another hot spot for winter weather. Depending on where this low pressure system tracks, we could see rain, a little snow, or 6-10 inches of snow. Something is definitely haywire with the weather! :?
The weather has been reading your signature. That's why it can't make up it's mind. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Beyond wrote:
TNT wrote:Oh boy, here we go again. Monday is another hot spot for winter weather. Depending on where this low pressure system tracks, we could see rain, a little snow, or 6-10 inches of snow. Something is definitely haywire with the weather! :?
The weather has been reading your signature. That's why it can't make up it's mind. :mrgreen:
This 'N That, you mean?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Ann wrote:
Beyond wrote:
This 'N That, you mean?

Ann
Good one, Ann :!: But no, i was referring to his 'signature'.
TNT's signature is...
-----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
Get it now?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 am

A little delayed snowfall. http://www.wfsb.com/video?clipId=8466653&autostart=true
It repeats itself a few times.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 am

Beyond wrote:
Haha! I didn't think of that! Is my signature that confusing? :lol2:
Ann wrote: This 'N That, you mean?

Ann
No, it's This, Not That :!: Or was iT NoT? :mrgreen:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Sunny with highs in the mid 50s, chance of rain tonight with a low of 36. Falling temperatures Monday (high of 37, early), rain changing over to snow, possible blizzard conditions Monday evening into Tuesday. 5 to 8 inches expected for OKC, but could get worse if the storm tracks further south. Sunny with highs in the mid 40s Wednesday through Saturday.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 am

I can't keep this from you, courtesy of Google Translate! :D

I hate winter. Swedish media keep telling us that we Swedes enjoy winter and like being out skiing and what not. Ask around among Swedes, and so many of them will tell you that, okay, winter is perhaps not their favorite time of year, but it's nice in a way, and a snowy landscape is so beautiful. Really.

Well, did you know that Swedes emigrate in larger numbers now than at any time since the years of famine and oppression in the 19th century? Back then Swedes moved to the United States. Now they move to the sun and warmth in Spain, Portugal and Thailand. They emigrate to get away from the Swedish winter!

I have no plans of emigrating, but I hate January and February. So I loved finding a little opinion piece in my local newspaper, where the reporter told us that she hates February. I'm sharing that text with you now, courtesy of Google Translate (and a little help from me):
I Hate February!

To stand on the platform at Lund C, one of the largest and dankest of train stations, and see those little tiny snowflakes that means about -2 C swirling in the air deepens that feeling.

Like those frozen minutes in the icy wind at Ørestad Metro Station, the next stop on my way to work at Berlingske newspaper's editorial. Constantly with my hat pulled down to my nose, wearing double gloves, heavy waterproof boots, thick wool sweaters.

February lacks any charm. January has its own in its call for lean and healthy living after December's feast. Hello wholegrain breads, omelets and muscle soreness after a bit of careful exercise. March promises another sort of season, and sometimes Easter.

But February is a pale, cold, cheerless haul that just must be endured. I often think of a scene in "Lord of the Rings" films as an aged Bilbo describes how he was affected by the coveted ring for many decades, a feeling of being thin, stretched: "Like too little butter scraped over too much bread." That's February.

It is a short month, you say. There will be more light. Days will be brighter.

But no, that's not enough. There are no mitigating circumstances. And I know I'm not alone in my feelings, after I've shared my hatred of February on Facebook and other social media.

But soon this ill-favored month will come to an end.
February has no reason, you know?

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

If the weather holds the rest of the week like the last two days; the snow will be all gone! 8-) It was supposed to snow today by is no chance of that! :D
Orin

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 pm

It's absolutely terrible outside! This winter weather has gone absolutely crazy. It's snowing pretty hard now, and unlike just a few days ago, this snow is having a larger impact. This snow is more wet and is sticking to almost every surface, including trees and power lines. There are widespread power outages across Kansas City. A few sparks came from a transformer in the back yard. Here are a couple pictures that I took:
Image02262013075040.jpg
Image02262013074534.jpg
Of course there's also the blizzard in Texas and Oklahoma. I hope the folks there are doing well. But at least the winter wheat crops will enjoy the moisture!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, the blizzard here in OKC was an absolute dud. Got a dusting here, but parts of NW OK got over 2 feet of snow. We did get a lot of needed rain here.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
TNT wrote:
It's absolutely terrible outside! This winter weather has gone absolutely crazy. It's snowing pretty hard now, and unlike just a few days ago, this snow is having a larger impact. This snow is more wet and is sticking to almost every surface, including trees and power lines. There are widespread power outages across Kansas City. A few sparks came from a transformer in the back yard.
SCARECROW: Look - It's snowing! It isn't snowing.
  • It couldn't be! But it is! No, it isn't! Yes, it is!
TNT wrote:
Of course there's also the blizzard in Texas and Oklahoma. I hope the folks there are doing well. But at least the winter wheat crops will enjoy the moisture!
SCARECROW: Oh, maybe that'll help!
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

We have an advantage that Dorothy and company didn't have. We don't have to travel, the Bliwizard comes to us :!: :!:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 pm

TNT wrote:It's absolutely terrible outside!
When it's terrible outside; i would suggest: stay indoors; keep warm; and have a few :b: 's ! Spring is just around the corner! :D I know! Easy for me to say 'cause we missed this one completely! :wink:
Orin

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 am

orin stepanek wrote:When it's terrible outside; i would suggest: stay indoors; keep warm; and have a few :b: 's !
Sounds good to me! :)
orin stepanek wrote:Spring is just around the corner! :D I know! Easy for me to say 'cause we missed this one completely! :wink:
I'm pretty sure the groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, was wrong this year, not surprisingly...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil wrote:Of these 116 predictions on record so far, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an "early spring" 16 times (13.8%). As to his accuracy, according to the StormFax Weather Almanac and records kept since 1887, Phil's predictions have been correct 39% of the time.
...since apparently we had six more weeks of winter instead of an early spring. :sad:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 am

I'm sorry you're having such a bad blizzard, TNT. Is the weather supposed to stay cold? Is the snow expected to remain on the ground for many days from now on?

My impression of much of the northern coastline states of the United States, and large parts of central United States, is that you can have huge blizzards, but afterwards the weather generally "turns around" quickly so that you have mild weather again very soon. The feet of snow that was dumped on you melts really soon. Am I wrong to think so?

Here in Sweden, we usually don't have blizzards that dump so much snow on us. (Although it can happen. Here is a picture from the winter of 1979, which I remember very well. The caption of the picture says: It wasn't just southern Sweden that was hit by the blizzard. Meter-high and kilometer-long snowdrifts stopped traffic in Denmark and northern Germany. This train got stuck in the snow in southern Denmark, where it was isolated from the rest of the world for three days.)

But this winter has been nothing like that. We haven't had anything like tremendous amounts of snow. There have been times when it hasn't been safe to use one's bicycle, but most of the winter has been quite okay for cycling. At least where i live.

No, but it's been so cold. Yes, there have been stints of mild weather, like what we had from Christmas Eve up until about January 8 or so. But the rest of the winter has been so cold. There have been a few days and nights when temperatures have dropped to -15C, but mostly it has been -5 or so. When the sky is gray and temperatures are below freezing for weeks on end, it is so depressing.

What's today's weather? Overcast. Gray. -2C.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 pm

I checked the weather radar this morning and the storm is headed toward the East! Looks likes some of our
Eastern friends are getting snowed! :?
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 pm

IMAG1617p.jpg
We got about 6" of snow last weekend, and another 8" or so yesterday. The stuff over the weekend was low moisture, and disappeared quickly. But yesterday's snow was wet and sticky. I spent 3 hours this morning shoveling if off the deck and along our trails (several hundred feet connecting the house to my office and my wife's studio). With drifting, it was over a foot deep in places, and half stuck to the shovel with every scoop. Hard work, but I'm not complaining at all- this is the largest storm we've had in a couple of years, and with some luck will actually deliver some moisture to the ground before it evaporates. With drifting, it might be dense enough that it actually hangs around under trees and on north slopes for a few weeks- long enough that the ground will be thawing and absorbing water.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey Chris, how do you and your wife put up with that l-o-n-g commute to where you work :?: :lol2:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:and half stuck to the shovel with every scoop.
I spray my snow shovel with Pam or olive oil to prevent snow from sticking so much.

Or did, back when we had snow...
A closed mouth gathers no foot.